No Extended Range Fuel Tank - actual experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I think you might have misunderstood the point of the small tank. It’s not a tangible weight savings. Obviously less gas weighs significantly less but if that’s your goal, just don’t fill the big one.
Far as I can tell, it’s got everything to do with weight specs and everyone should actually order the car with the big one.
+1
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Extended tank is a great bonus for me, it makes many of my regular road routes much more comfortable since I can make round trips and refuel at my preferred local station rather than hoping to find 98 RON along the way somewhere.

Fuel gauge is way off for the 1st 1/2 tank though, it barely moves at first but then seems to catch up with itself. I have always used my own estimations based on mileage since filling up though and the electronic miles remaining indication seems to keep up quite well too.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It’s quite expensive, but you can retrofit the extended tank (had this done at dealers expense on my gt4 when they ordered the wrong tank). So if the car is otherwise a good deal, your friend might want to get a quote from the dealer to fit an extended tank - so you know what you are up for if the smaller tank is not to your liking.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

If my only option for a GT3 was a smaller gas tank - I would not think twice. That would not be a deal breaker for me if behind door "B" was no GT3. I think the GT3 with the smaller tank holds about the same as the GT4 with the larger tank- sure, you need to fill it up more but it is what it is.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can't get two session out of the big tank, let along out of the small tank.
Sessions of about 25-30 minutes, on the second session, I had this happen several times with about 20-30Miles till Empty:
I think you might have misunderstood the point of the small tank. It’s not a tangible weight savings. Obviously less gas weighs significantly less but if that’s your goal, just don’t fill the big one.
Far as I can tell, it’s got everything to do with weight specs and everyone should actually order the car with the big one.

Ack. Too late now, order locked and car actually built as of yesterday. I guess we will see if I can get two 30 minute runs with my style of driving on my tracks. Worse case scenario I will have to invest in a gas holder and gas can on my trailer.

Makes me wonder why they start with the smaller tank as the "standard" though, meaning that it's the "best" size for use. Doesn't "extended range" mean "extended range"? Does not make sense.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:02 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palting
Ack. Too late now, order locked and car actually built as of yesterday. I guess we will see if I can get two 30 minute runs with my style of driving on my tracks. Worse case scenario I will have to invest in a gas holder and gas can on my trailer.

Makes me wonder why they start with the smaller tank as the "standard" though. Doesn't "extended range" mean "extended range"? Does not make sense.
The tanks need to be a certain percentage full when the weight of the vehicle is measured. Think of it like this - the "extended" range fuel tank is the "normal" tank.... the "normal" (smaller) tank is put there to keep the official "weight" of the car down on paper.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

IIRC, my 996 has a 17 gallon capacity. So does my Boxster. From my experience, that's good for at least two 30 minute runs with more than enough extra gas left over to run to an outside gas station or back to the hotel. That's going full bore black run group at my 3 favorite tracks, VIR, Mid-Ohio, and Watkins Glen. Maybe even a third run if I run into traffic on the track.The GT3 standard tank is 17.6 gallons. Admittedly, the GT3 has a bigger engine revving at 9,000 rpm so it will eat more gas than either car.

I guess my point is that the "standard" tank on the GT3 did not all of a sudden become a "smaller" tank. It's still the same capacity 911 tank. The extended range tank is a "bigger" tank. Just sayin'. I guess we will see if the 17.6 gallon is "just right" for my purposes
Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
The tanks need to be a certain percentage full when the weight of the vehicle is measured. Think of it like this - the "extended" range fuel tank is the "normal" tank.... the "normal" (smaller) tank is put there to keep the official "weight" of the car down on paper.
This is the popular opinion. Only thing that makes sense.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

This is the popular opinion. Only thing that makes sense.

I was going to let this go after my last post above, but let's clarify. My 996 has a 17 gallon tank. Normal tank. My Boxster has a 17 gallon tank. Normal tank. The GT3.2 comes with a 17.6 gallon tank "standard". Would any 991 GT3.1 owners chime in on what is their "normal" tank capacity? Even 997 or any model 991. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:52 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Here is an option, Buy a large tank and install it. The fuel tanks in these cars are made out of plastic. Not sure what they cost but it is an option.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I was going to let this go after my last post above, but let's clarify. My 996 has a 17 gallon tank. Normal tank. My Boxster has a 17 gallon tank. Normal tank. The GT3.2 comes with a 17.6 gallon tank "standard". Would any 991 GT3.1 owners chime in on what is their "normal" tank capacity? Even 997 or any model 991. Thanks.
Horsepower is relatively proportional to fuel burned at full power. Consider how much hp your Boxster has compared to 500 hp GT3...

Granted, you’re only at full power for a portion of a lap, but difference in fuel consumption will be significant...
Old 02-03-2018, 07:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have for sure ordered the larger tank for the small amount it costs. But as it turned out, I bought a car that came up for sale while I was ordering mine and I took
the one that was available then because the ADM was much smaller and there was only 2 differences in the order, leather and the tank size. Having wanted it, I haven't noticed it coming up in any of the short drives I have done yet. I believe all my other 911s had the 17 gallon tank, but those cars got better mileage and didnt have the horsepower this one has either.
The GTS(50th) I had got well over 25 miles a gallon with 433 hp (over 30 when wifey drove it). I havent had it on the track yet. But if I remember most of the tracks in SoCal either
had like VP gas 100 Octane or better (Best smelling fuel perfume what ever IN the world!!) Or Sunoco 100 race fuel, on site. So I would just top off between runs. With 3-4 run groups
there was always time to go get some.
Its not a show stopper like the Front axle lift but it would be something I would have ordered for sure.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Why comment on if it's better for the track if you don't have significant track experience with the car?

Extended tank is a must-have option for me. Not just for the track (where it's a huge benefit to reduce the urgency of fill-ups between sessions), but also for the road. If I can reduce my gas station visits about 25%, why not?? It would drive me nuts to have a car where the original spec'er skipped that option...
I have enough track experience, maybe not as much as you and your big tank. I usually will trailer my car so small tank is fine with me. It is definitely lighter full or empty.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have had both. the small tank was ordred by mistake.
if u drive the car on street. GET THE BIG TANK.
if you are tracking the car, GET THE BIG TANK.

i dont remember the capacity of 991 tank.
but < 60 min i will empty it on track
cayman GT4CS, 10 gal every 30 min.
997RS i need gas every 1.5 session. which essentially means i need to refuel every session. or i wont last the entire next session.

and those who has done my privarte days, they know i often drive non stop until i am dry. if i could i would have wanted even bigger tank.

on non private days i often drive back to back sessions, bigger tank is better for me
Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Big tank. Wife’s Bmw has a tank the size of a gerbil bladder. It fking sucks.
Big tank means more laps before refuel.
I don’t have a pit crew and I’m lazy af

Quick Reply: No Extended Range Fuel Tank - actual experience