Sponsored by:

Opinions on Modified 991.1 GT3 or GTS w/ GT3 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Opinions on Modified 991.1 GT3 or GTS w/ GT3 Engine

Hello, I am throwing this out there for some advise. I have my name in for a 991.2 GT3, specifically a Touring Manual, but I am doubtful I will get an allocation. I have purchased a 981 Boxster, Macan, 981 Boxster GTS, GT4 and Turbo S from my local dealer which got me to 28th on the GT3 list. Best case scenario my dealer will get 6-8 allocations each year. Generally I am not one to keep cars but when my wife and I find a good one we will hold on to it. Our first keeper was an S2000 that I bought her, then the GTS and I hoped for me it would be the Turbo but it does not have the sound track and feel that the GT3 delivers. At this point I am debating on purchasing a 991.1 GT3 and changing the rear out for a Ducktail, gutting the interior and adding sound insulation back in, using the Cobb AP to soften the PDK in hopes I will not be annoyed with the transmission not being a manual. The alternate option is to purchase a 991.1 Manual GTS then putting in a motor out of the GT3 finished of by upgrading the suspension and hope that I won't be annoyed with the lack of chassis feel that the GT3 delivers.

We have a race car so this car for us might see 2-3 DE's per year though the primary use is Touring. We love to take long road trips and typically stack on 10-15K miles per year on our toys. Last year we drove from Kansas City to PNA Atlanta, then to Road Atlanta, through the smokies, back through Nashville and home. The previous year was a trip from New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate NY, Niagra, Detroit, Chicago and home in the fall. We have a tenative plan to drive to LA, Laguna, Sonoma, then run the 101 north the Washington.

This is not my photo but I absolutely love the look, with a manual it would be hard not to pay a stupid amount for one.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this sounds like a lot of expense! it seems like it would be cheaper to just pay ADM and get a gt3
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mongolikecandy
this sounds like a lot of expense! it seems like it would be cheaper to just pay ADM and get a gt3
This^^^^

Or go drive a 997.2 GT3RS. Similar price as a .2GT3 and equally as thrilling.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

concur
Old 02-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

"We have a race car so this car for us might see 2-3 DE's per year though the primary use is Touring." If this is the case, unless you absolutely need to have the 9K rpm NA engine in the GT3, why not simply order a well optioned 911 Carrera T (esp. with MT and PCCBs)? Should be more than enough fun for your long & spirited drives. If not, then simply find a dealer with a configurable allocation w/ ADM and pay up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
Old 02-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll never, ever get your money back out of such a project.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This..
I'm struggling to why you want to be sound insulation back in and soften up the PDK shift. With normal driving and manually shifting the PDK doesn't shift harsh.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
^^^this
Old 02-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Hoping the OP is trolling and not serious.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:21 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

I was hoping someone might know of a way to get one, I am willing to pay for a new car but I have called many dealers and have gotten the same answer, sorry but you are probably 3-4 years out. With all the hearsay about converting to Turbo in 2019 or 2020 that would kill it for me.

Originally Posted by manitou202
This^^^^ Or go drive a 997.2 GT3RS. Similar price as a .2GT3 and equally as thrilling.
I did not consider this as I really love the 991's, it was the first Pcar that I really loved. That being said with a few tasteful upgrades that might be a good option. I will do some research to see what changed between the 997.2 & 991's.

Originally Posted by Akunob
"We have a race car so this car for us might see 2-3 DE's per year though the primary use is Touring." If this is the case, unless you absolutely need to have the 9K rpm NA engine in the GT3, why not simply order a well optioned 911 Carrera T (esp. with MT and PCCBs)? Should be more than enough fun for your long & spirited drives. If not, then simply find a dealer with a configurable allocation w/ ADM and pay up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
I canceled my order for a GTS after driving the 991.2's at PNA this year. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars but not what I am interested in. The 9K scream, power delivery and feel of the GT3 puts a smile on my face every single time. If I did buy a 991.2 the T would be it though, it does check all my other boxes.

Originally Posted by Catorce
Agreed, but I would plan to keep the car not sell it. This would be something that stays in my stable until I kick the bucket.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I was hoping someone might know of a way to get one, I am willing to pay for a new car but I have called many dealers and have gotten the same answer, sorry but you are probably 3-4 years out. With all the hearsay about converting to Turbo in 2019 or 2020 that would kill it for me.

I did not consider this as I really love the 991's, it was the first Pcar that I really loved. That being said with a few tasteful upgrades that might be a good option. I will do some research to see what changed between the 997.2 & 991's.

I canceled my order for a GTS after driving the 991.2's at PNA this year. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars but not what I am interested in. The 9K scream, power delivery and feel of the GT3 puts a smile on my face every single time. If I did buy a 991.2 the T would be it though, it does check all my other boxes.

Agreed, but I would plan to keep the car not sell it. This would be something that stays in my stable until I kick the bucket.
you wouldnt consider a built car? It still seems like a cheaper route to pay ADM for a car on the floor and change some minor things. There are plenty on the market in all colors.
I know of a RY with buckets and manual that is coming up soon for like 25K over which seems to be the going rate.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

"I have purchased a 981 Boxster, Macan, 981 Boxster GTS, GT4 and Turbo S from my local dealer which got me to 28th on the GT3 list."

Jesus. That is rough!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icutyou
you wouldnt consider a built car? It still seems like a cheaper route to pay ADM for a car on the floor and change some minor things. There are plenty on the market in all colors.
I know of a RY with buckets and manual that is coming up soon for like 25K over which seems to be the going rate.
Yes, but being pessimistic my guess is that no dealer will order anything close enough however with the R's doing so well there may be a chance. Here are the options I selected on the configurator.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ok I’m lost...you want a GT3...but you want to “soften” the PDK shifts? But then you said the Turbo didn’t have the feel of a GT3....??
Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

a) why?
b) buy the car you want, don't reengineer it - Porsche does know what they are doing believe it or not
c) can't even begin to imagine some of the headaches and hurdles to transplant a drivetrain of a GT3 into a non-GT3 chassis (electrical/ECU alone would be a lot of work)

Quick Reply: Opinions on Modified 991.1 GT3 or GTS w/ GT3 Engine