Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Modified 991.1 GT3 or GTS w/ GT3 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you put a 991.1 GT3 engine in another car, it probably would not be covered by warranty. That would be bad with this engine so you would likely want to upgrade the top end before installation unless it was already done to the engine. This would add even more to the cost.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:16 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

agree completely! At least need a GT3 with a G model engine for a project like this.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:05 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ok I’m lost...you want a GT3...but you want to “soften” the PDK shifts? But then you said the Turbo didn’t have the feel of a GT3....??
If you ever get a chance, say at PNA, to drive them back to back you will understand immediately the differences, I would highly recommend it. There is more than you might think, same way with the GT4 and 981 S/GTS, there are similarities but very different Chassis, Brakes, Steering.... feel. My impression of the GT3 was the transmission was much like the GTR, always poised for the track, where as the Turbo is much smoother and better suited for a daily, I would consider the difference to be quite dramatic.

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
a) why?
b) buy the car you want, don't reengineer it - Porsche does know what they are doing believe it or not
c) can't even begin to imagine some of the headaches and hurdles to transplant a drivetrain of a GT3 into a non-GT3 chassis (electrical/ECU alone would be a lot of work)
As an engineer so I probably understand that better than most, but I also know they want to sell cars. Porsche is probably has the best marketing in the business, they are genius's.

The swap does not scare me at all but I don't disagree that it would certainly be better to be able to get an allocation for a 991.2 car. Think of the original post as "Worst Case Scenario" meaning that I can't find a car and am left to find another way. Honestly the BGB GT3RS with the Manual swap was one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. If that car were to come up for sale I would be extremely interested.

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
If you put a 991.1 GT3 engine in another car, it probably would not be covered by warranty. That would be bad with this engine so you would likely want to upgrade the top end before installation unless it was already done to the engine. This would add even more to the cost.
Yes, that is my biggest fear, I don't want a project, the goal would be to have a shop like BGB do the swap and call it a day. Based on their details online they do have a warranty and yes I would probably have the heads, cam followers.... replaced or rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Modified 991.1 GT3 or GTS w/ GT3 Engine