Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw) (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1045548-georg-kacher-calling-it-992-gt3-is-turbo-410kw.html)

Bardman 01-30-2018 05:32 AM

Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)

Georg is a very well respected automotive journalist, and in this article he calls it (with some details, eg 410kw flat 6 turbo motor with 8 speed PDK). The end really is with us. Sad days for those of us who love NA cars... :(

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/180...be-400kw-turbo

According to MOTOR’s European Editor, Georg Kacher, the next-generation 911 GT3 – part of the all-new ‘992’ lineup – will feature a turbocharged flat-six producing around 410kW fed through an eight-speed PDK gearbox. This is a substantial increase over the 368kW produced by the current 991.2 GT3’s 4.0-litre flat-six and forced induction will increase torque by a far greater percentage. The 550Nm developed by the 911 GTS’s 3.0-litre twin-turbo flat-six is already well in excess of the current GT3’s 460Nm.
Article also mentions 992 will introduce hybrid 911.

redmonkey928 01-30-2018 07:09 AM

This is just getting out of hand - let's look at it from a few perspectives. The GT3 is a track focused car, when the 997's were done it was "great, the metzger is gone... no need to buy this new 991.1 as it's bigger (physically), and the engine isn't Motorsports derived". Along with, "no manual, won't buy it". Fast forward and I think it's safe to say that the new platform didn't rob the 997 of its glory, and certainly proved to be a faster car which people admit.

Now, the new 992 could be a turbo? Well, we know a few things, it won't underperform the current cars - if proof is needed, I think the GTE class in IMSA speaks for itself in that the turbo's are the ones stealing the show and taking the biggest BoP adjustments.

Personally, I've got some faith in whatever direction Porsche goes, anything new that rolls out will a) be a step forward from a performance standpoint, and b) things change and evolve, this happens to be a fact that NA cars are losing to newer setups. Ie compare the 991.2 GT2 RS to past cars; even the current 991.2 GT3.

Bardman 01-30-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by redmonkey928 (Post 14764531)
This is just getting out of hand - let's look at it from a few perspectives. The GT3 is a track focused car, when the 997's were done it was "great, the metzger is gone... no need to buy this new 991.1 as it's bigger (physically), and the engine isn't Motorsports derived". Along with, "no manual, won't buy it". Fast forward and I think it's safe to say that the new platform didn't rob the 997 of its glory, and certainly proved to be a faster car which people admit.

Now, the new 992 could be a turbo? Well, we know a few things, it won't underperform the current cars - if proof is needed, I think the GTE class in IMSA speaks for itself in that the turbo's are the ones stealing the show and taking the biggest BoP adjustments.

Personally, I've got some faith in whatever direction Porsche goes, anything new that rolls out will a) be a step forward from a performance standpoint, and b) things change and evolve, this happens to be a fact that NA cars are losing to newer setups. Ie compare the 991.2 GT2 RS to past cars; even the current 991.2 GT3.

From a capability standpoint, this watch:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2a9899bfa.jpg
Is arguably better than this watch:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e6f965acff.jpg

Doesnt mean that I want it more though...

jslee225 01-30-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bardman (Post 14764551)
From a capability standpoint, this watch:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2a9899bfa.jpg
Is arguably better than this watch:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e6f965acff.jpg

Doesnt mean that I want it more though...

:bowdown:

Icutyou 01-30-2018 08:59 AM

More reason to drive the hell out of the ones we have now!

James Walker 01-30-2018 09:09 AM

The angst over the loss of NA will subside as soon as we realize that all cars with ICE will have been outlawed by a number of countries over the next 15 years.

white6speed 01-30-2018 10:01 AM

I think many of us will not be breathing in 25 years let alone driving. It will be the world of George Jetson.

Palting 01-30-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by white6speed (Post 14764697)
I think many of us will not be breathing in 25 years let alone driving. It will be the world of George Jetson.

LOL!!!

Anyhow, we can all wring our hands at the news. That is, until the new turbo GT3's start passing the old GT3's at the track like they are standing still. Then, let's see who will still want the NA cars as a track car over the faster and better turbos. If/when this happens, I for one will "upgrade", definitely.

Perimeter 01-30-2018 10:25 AM

Good point BUT I would politely counter that with the majority of GT3s will not be track cars, the Touring is a blatant reminder of how much buyers want that NA engine on the street.

Originally Posted by Palting (Post 14764723)
LOL!!!
Anyhow, we can all wring our hands at the news. That is, until the new turbo GT3's start passing the old GT3's at the track like they are standing still. Then, let's see who will still want the NA cars as a track car over the faster and better turbos. If/when this happens, I for one will "upgrade", definitely.

bccars 01-30-2018 10:34 AM

I'm not looking forward to turbo GT cars, not at all. I like these cars for their rawness and harshness. But I also like Porsche for their racing efforts. If they have to go turbo to win races, so be it, winning races trumps all else. And if Porsche has to go turbo in the GT cars, it has to be a race derived engine. One with a revvy character and an aggressive soundtrack. If there is one brand that can do that with a turbo engine, I suspect it will be Porsche. If they fail, well, then we just don't buy the car.

Palting 01-30-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Perimeter (Post 14764739)
Good point BUT I would politely counter that with the majority of GT3s will not be track cars, the Touring is a blatant reminder of how much buyers want that NA engine on the street.

Fair point, but the GT3, despite the acronym meaning Grand Touring, is designed primarily to be a track car, and is only secondarily a street car. Like a Cup Car that you can drive on the street. It might, indeed, drive the strictly street drivers away, but to a track rat like me, I kinda like the idea. It might get rid of the silly ADMs and unavailability issues. I mean that in a nice way.

sechsgang 01-30-2018 11:00 AM

The new car will be INSANE...it's just not going to have that same NA Gt3 wonder. I only drive these things on the street nowadays, as do most people, and if it goes to the track, it's just for fun...not really wringing out lap times. So for ME that NA motor will be a sad loss. I'm sure for those tracking, the new car will RIP it though!

Archimedes 01-30-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by James Walker (Post 14764613)
The angst over the loss of NA will subside as soon as we realize that all cars with ICE will have been outlawed by a number of countries over the next 15 years.

No. They won't. They might be prohibited from new sales, but we'll all be dead and buried before ICE cars are fully off the roads in any country in this world. It's simply too cost prohibitive. So much hand wringing over nothing.

audipwr1 01-30-2018 11:58 AM

"Oh I really wish I could get a GT2 they are so awesome"

"Oh my 991 GT3 will be so valuable because the 992 is turbo"

Mm Kay

AhsanU 01-30-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by redmonkey928 (Post 14764531)

While I've no doubt that the 992 GT3 will be an absolute weapon when it comes to track work and what not, I would say your position holds true if you care about nothing but lap times.

I am not a track driver by any means with very little experience on an actual circuit, but I purchased my GT3 because it's a high revving naturally aspirated supercar. The jumps Porsche has made between the 997 and 991 are akin to splitting hairs IMO. Going from the Metzger to a non Motorsport derived engine isn't much of a big deal to many (given the popularity of the 991). The manual transmission was a fairly big deal, as such - Porsche reintroduced it; but going forced induction? It's a very big change.

I am sure you track junkies won't care too much and I'm sure the car will put out blistering times.. but some of us care more about the sound of the car, the aural excitement, and the overall enjoyment rather than lap times. I am not stating that the GT3 should be more about fun than lap times, but I'm merely staying why I purchased the car over a McLaren or even a Turbo S.

I just hope the 997 depreciates at a normal rate if the 992 goes forced induction. I was hoping to buy one in about 2 years since I've always wanted a GT3 with a manual, hopefully they don't shoot up in value