Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I agree with what you re conveying. I would rather see less weight than more HP. The only other car that interests me is if they build this GT4 RS with the 4.0 / 480 HP with a manual that has been mentioned. I would rather see 450 HP and 2800 lbs than say 480 Hp and 3000-3100 lbs.
Would be really cool to have some sort of retro 911 with a size and wheelbase between the 993 and 997, lightweight, hi-revving NA engine which makes modest power, but modern technology such as PASM, PTV, RWS, NAV, etc. Sort of like a scaled down 911 R. That would be an amazing road car!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Would be really cool to have some sort of retro 911 with a size and wheelbase between the 993 and 997, lightweight, hi-revving NA engine which makes modest power, but modern technology such as PASM, PTV, RWS, NAV, etc. Sort of like a scaled down 911 R. That would be an amazing road car!
I thought about the same thing this weekend. Like what VW did with the bug. But i would bring back the 930/964 Turbos. Those designs were perfection. I actually don’t think 911 design is timeless as much as it was and still is so far ahead of its time. I just watched the car chase in the movie No Man’s Land (again) and was struck by the contrast between that 911 Turbo and everything else on the street. That 911 was from the future. In many ways the same gap exists today between the 991 GT3 and just about everything else on the street. The fact that the 991 and the original 911 have stayed so close in design is amazing.

These cars are classic and futuristic at the same time.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

manifold I know u “get it” so let me b devil advocate and pose an intellectual exercise and by no means am I attacking ur concept.

a retro 911

1. buy singer (yes I know some ppl don’t like the idea or the price)
2. just buy an old porsche why invent RETRO. I have a 86 and a 92. granted not cheaper than gt3 by much but they are like new.
3.. buy less than perfect older porsche and fix t to ur liking
4. pasm ptv abc all great and I actually love them. and I had the same idea u just posted. then I talked to a few factory drivers and one of the founder of R gruppe. and i saw the light. “if u want a modern porsche u can’t beat gt2/3/rs. if u want old cars
then buy an old car. don’t make an old car drive like a modern car. then u missed the point.”. I wanted g50. they all told me slow down and learn to shift a 915. that’s how old car should feel. i thought hese guys are so full of ****. then I drove g50/915. u know what each shift of 915 is like a thrust into the ..... , each one is a climax. bc u never know if u clutched right and get in the gear and satisfied her (the car or ur partner).... i got it at redline in 3rd. I know she’s going to explode as I shift to fourth. .... **** i’m 2mm too far right missed the gate rpm dropped and the mood is gone....

so for those who are so knfstuatwd with manual and heel and toe get a 915 car or 901 car bc able to heel
and toe in a watercooled
porsxhe simply means ur not paralyzed doesn’t mean u are remotely coordinated.

i digressed

but why make retro car or make old car like
modern car. I can see make old car new again but not modern. ppl often discuss engagement. u know
modern life is hat u are testing calling and purring makeup on while driving. we are all guilty of that. when I drove my 86, I throw the phone out no coffee in car nothing. bc u sneeze too hard hit a bump the bump steer can throw u off 3’ tonthe side.

discuss
Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GrantG
Aventador?
yes but do YOU want one? lol
Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

yes but do YOU want one? lol
I'd take one for free
Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

more devil advicate

i agree gt car is too fast and I even venture to say it will soon b too fast even for hamilton, alonso, and any f1 champ. human only can process info so fast

so... we then say maybe make less power but better feel less wt ya

i agree one one side but the other side the devil says cars are toy. and if we aren’t alpha dogs we won’t be successful enough to have made the $ needed to buy this toy. so at the bar I will tell u my d*ck is bigger and my car has more hp. u will tell
me ur short toy has better technique and low ho car handles better. u might be right. but I assure u my line of speech is easier to brag.

look at biccyles. UCI has lower wt limit. ur bike has to be >15#. BUT consumers and ppl who can’t ride to save their lives buy high end bikes at 12#. why? bc they win the tour? no, bc they can tell u their toy is better

if u follow this line of logic (highly flawed but common) , porsche has no place to go but increase HP.

Ur neighbor c2 with turbo boosted to 1000 hp blows ur door off u see him at bar.... let’s hear the convo

not saying any of the above makes any sense but I like to hear rebuttals

PAG is in an interesting spot. they are screw every which way no?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd take one for free
me too
then we both have enough money left for gold chains and I can buy hair implant for my chest
Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

manifold I know u “get it” so let me b devil advocate and pose an intellectual exercise and by no means am I attacking ur concept.

a retro 911

1. buy singer (yes I know some ppl don’t like the idea or the price)
2. just buy an old porsche why invent RETRO. I have a 86 and a 92. granted not cheaper than gt3 by much but they are like new.
3.. buy less than perfect older porsche and fix t to ur liking
4. pasm ptv abc all great and I actually love them. and I had the same idea u just posted. then I talked to a few factory drivers and one of the founder of R gruppe. and i saw the light. “if u want a modern porsche u can’t beat gt2/3/rs. if u want old cars
then buy an old car. don’t make an old car drive like a modern car. then u missed the point.”. I wanted g50. they all told me slow down and learn to shift a 915. that’s how old car should feel. i thought hese guys are so full of ****. then I drove g50/915. u know what each shift of 915 is like a thrust into the ..... , each one is a climax. bc u never know if u clutched right and get in the gear and satisfied her (the car or ur partner).... i got it at redline in 3rd. I know she’s going to explode as I shift to fourth. .... **** i’m 2mm too far right missed the gate rpm dropped and the mood is gone....

so for those who are so knfstuatwd with manual and heel and toe get a 915 car or 901 car bc able to heel
and toe in a watercooled
porsxhe simply means ur not paralyzed doesn’t mean u are remotely coordinated.

i digressed

but why make retro car or make old car like
modern car. I can see make old car new again but not modern. ppl often discuss engagement. u know
modern life is hat u are testing calling and purring makeup on while driving. we are all guilty of that. when I drove my 86, I throw the phone out no coffee in car nothing. bc u sneeze too hard hit a bump the bump steer can throw u off 3’ tonthe side.

discuss
LOL, some funny stuff there, and insightful too!

Singer is too rich for my blood. I've been shopping for an older air-cooled 911, but not easy to find a good one anymore; I'm lazy and want to just get what I want from the dealer, with warranty, etc. Fixing an older car isn't my cup of tea, too busy with other things I waste time on.

I'm looking for something which may not be possible: best of old and new worlds, something like a 991 GT3/RS/R scaled down in size, wheelbase, performance, and price, and therefore maybe more fun on the road than the full-scale versions. Sometimes I see the GT3 parked, and it looks looong. I drove the GT3 back to back on track with an S2000, and couldn't believe how HUGE the GT3 felt by comparison. Maybe I'm looking for a Lotus, but I want Porsche engineering and the 911 layout.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

But Mooty I want a modern 930 Turbo. I don't want a jarring suspension, 40 year old steering or 4 second turbo lag. I want the IDEA of the 930 Turbo. Small like the 930 Turbo. Looks like the 930 Turbo. But with modern creature comforts so I can drive it more than an hour at a time without needing a chiropractor. I am getting older! I want ceramic brakes. I want SatNav. I want Leather and Alcantara. I want 21st century safety, performance and comfort. I want the illusion of a 930 Turbo. Just better in every way imaginable. Make it look like the 930 Turbo. Everything else can be modern and I am super happy.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Singer is too rich for my blood. I've been shopping for an older air-cooled 911, but not easy to find a good one anymore; I'm lazy and want to just get what I want from the dealer, with warranty, etc. Fixing an older car isn't my cup of tea, too busy with other things I waste time on.

I'm looking for something which may not be possible: best of old and new worlds, something like a 991 GT3/RS/R scaled down in size, wheelbase, performance, and price, and therefore maybe more fun on the road than the full-scale versions. Sometimes I see the GT3 parked, and it looks looong. I drove the GT3 back to back on track with an S2000, and couldn't believe how HUGE the GT3 felt by comparison. Maybe I'm looking for a Lotus, but I want Porsche engineering and the 911 layout.
My dad is an engineer. 30 years ago I told him VW needs to build a modern bug. He told me in great detail why that wasn't possible. And here we are. I would love to see the same thing with the 930 Turbo. It is doable.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
But Mooty I want a modern 930 Turbo. I don't want a jarring suspension, 40 year old steering or 4 second turbo lag. I want the IDEA of the 930 Turbo. Small like the 930 Turbo. Looks like the 930 Turbo. But with modern creature comforts so I can drive it more than an hour at a time without needing a chiropractor. I am getting older! I want ceramic brakes. I want SatNav. I want Leather and Alcantara. I want 21st century safety, performance and comfort. I want the illusion of a 930 Turbo. Just better in every way imaginable. Make it look like the 930 Turbo. Everything else can be modern and I am super happy.
I think it can be done. And maybe the market is there. But the problem may be where it fits in the product line-up. If it costs about the same as the regular 911, but people like it more, does that doom the regular 911? If so, what would the GT cars be based on? Seems like quite a mess, like Porsche could build the car so many of us want, but it might hurt their bottom line in the end.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:18 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

My father owned 2 70s era 911s, a 73 T and a 77 S. Perfection was not a word he would have used to describe the experience. Roller coaster of highs and lows would have been far more apt. It is actually easier to own and maintain a “vintage” 911 today than it was when the cars were still on the showroom floors. Today’s Porsches are too large and heavy, but so is much of the population compared to 30-40 years ago. Don’t see Porsche going back in time, they are having a tough time planning for the next 6-12 months.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

GT3 power increased by over 9% at the last generation change (435 vs 475 hp). Also, I think the projected power is 550hp (confusion with conversion from kW to hp) which would be 10% increase...
Converions were all to metric so the 11% stands but your point is taken. Based on this to me it feels 50/50 for 992.1 GT3 being turbo. I don’t think Georg made that 410kw figure up and he didn’t mince words on the flip to turbo engines.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Isnt this exactly what Singer offers? (albeit on 964 platform).

i get that they are at significant price point, but to me they seem to offer the perfect combination of old and new.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

LOVE IT, this is more fun than picking deviating stitching though i did pick black.

we think alike, i have had elise exige s2000. i even put 21000 miles on my exige in one year. i commuted it that WITH MY 2 YO to day care. yes likely illegal and suicidal with her in front. but i was 14 years younger and a whole lot dumber.. she survived. if you are over 45. exige can be painful.

yes, i do too. but there is modern turbo or 930 turbo. there is no modern 9300 turbo. you can't be a meat eating vegetarian... unless you are mooty, i tell all my friends i am vegan... once you make 930 modern it's not a 930. u can wear bell bottom today and have long hair, cool but it will never be 1970's

you can have free love and sex but it wont be woodstock again....

My dad is an engineer. 30 years ago I told him VW needs to build a modern bug. He told me in great detail why that wasn't possible. And here we are. I would love to see the same thing with the 930 Turbo. It is doable.
aha... i grew up in the original bug in the 70's... speaking of free love and woodstock... wonder why my parents were doing and then i popped out.... i know what a BUG BEETLE is.... the big ring horn, sticky vinyl seats and my dad insist put AC in it and over heat it every summer. i learned the PICNIC is food on the side of street b/c we have NEVER once made to our picnic destination. i also have the NEW beetle turbo S. that thing is not slow and i actually tracked it a few times and have chased down a few poorly driven turbo's. but that beetle aint no beetle.

i wish i can make a modern 930 or modern 73RS, but .....

Quick Reply: Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)