Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
IMO it’s not the best NA and track anymore. I would give that crown to the Perfomante .
Is it though? Do you think it will hold up as well to regular track use?

I think the GT3 is pretty close to the limits of what you can use at the track without downright ridiculous ongoing costs. Hell, even considering the GT3 reasonable is probably a bit of a stretch but it's my impression that they're pretty rock solid when it comes to reliability. Moving up to an exotic seems like an entirely different ballgame.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
If GT3 line goes turbo then what will it be "best" at? Today it occupies a simple position as top line NA & track, that belongs to TTS and GT2 on the FI side.

Similar to electrification. Hybrid is first step but once the full power train is electrified, how do you maintain the careful segmentation which has been so well suited for every owner to find their niche match?
Bingo!
The differentiation between models is losing the "what will it be BEST at" for the GT3 when it goes turbo.

I have a GT4 and am super happy with it.
Sounds even better than a GT3. Don't have to take it to the track to have fun with it.
And its a mid-engined niche that wont be losing its position anytime soon.... until it goes turbo.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 35 Posts

It seems that the end of NA is widely assumed for Porsche but…are we sure that in Zuffenhausen everything is decided?

From a commercial point of view I do believe that keeping naturally aspirated GT3’s would be a winning choice, first there is a lot of NA addicted around (me first) believing that 500hp are more than enough to have a good time on track and that driving pleasure lies not only in a ton of HP, second…just turbos along the whole 911 range would be redundant, what would be the difference between a “normal” 911 and a GT? Just a different set-up and an aerokit? In my opinion the perfect 992 range should be made of turbo “normal” 911’s perfect for road use with their torque, low (theoretical) emissions, their attention to new gadgets to catch clients from other brands etc, hybrid powertrain for the range-topping variant (Turbo S) offering performance figures comparable to competitors, and NA GT3 for the track addicted with massive attention to weight reduction.

The biggest obstacle is of course the emission one, from a regulation point of view it’s true that the NOx and CO2 emission limits will be calculated in the New European Driving Cycle but they refer to the average fleet emission, are we sure that there is no room for Porsche to keep NA alive while keeping the average fleet emission within limits?

Chapter races, everybodys sees the lack of performances of 911’s in GT races, keeping aside the BOP matter, what does stop Porsche to develop a turbo variant for races while keeping some NA street cars? Or…will Porsche be still interested to GT races or, given the direction of the automotive industry for the future, they will concentrate the race program just on formula E?

I think that there is room enough not to give everything for sure, whats your thoughts about?

Last edited by Dante; 01-31-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dante
just turbos along the whole 911 range would be redundant, what would be the difference between a “normal” 911 and a GT? Just a different set-up and an aerokit?
Isn't that the difference for the 991.1?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I bet 992 gt3 is NA. My god we had this same debate about 991.1 gt3 RS being the last NA a few months ago. No more NA RS was the DOMINANT opinion right before the NA mule shots came out. And it was wrong. Come on, does anyone really think they have any clue?.......no. Nothing says Porsche even knows yet.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

If 992 GT3 is turbocharged, I still think it's possible that they'll produce another NA with Manual model in parallel (for driving pleasure over laptimes) like 911R or GT3 Touring with the engine from the 991.2 GT3RS (~525hp)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

If this is the last of the Naturally Aspirated GT3, I can see the flippers laughing their way to the banks now.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Bardman
Georg is a very well respected automotive journalist, and in this article he calls it (with some details, eg 410kw flat 6 turbo motor with 8 speed PDK). The end really is with us. Sad days for those of us who love NA cars...

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/180...be-400kw-turbo

Article also mentions 992 will introduce hybrid 911.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:39 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I bet 992 gt3 is NA. My god we had this same debate about 991.1 gt3 RS being the last NA a few months ago. No more NA RS was the DOMINANT opinion right before the NA mule shots came out. And it was wrong. Come on, does anyone really think they have any clue?.......no. Nothing says Porsche even knows yet.
The difference this time seems to be a lot of auto journalists are reporting that the 992 GT3 is going turbo. In the past 2 months there have been a lot of articles claiming this to be the case. So it seems plausible that Porsche is trying to let the cat out of the bag.

I'm sure Porsche knows. Engine upgrades typically take 3-5 years to develop and new engines potentially even longer. Assuming the 992 GT3 will be released in 2020-2021, I'm sure Porsche already has DV engines built and on test.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't hear any mud being thrown at the GT2 because it is a turbo. Indeed, the exact opposite. Just imagine a slightly scaled down version of the GT2 but with the same level of emotional intensity. It will be awesome. I cant wait. I have enough NA cars in my garage.
True, but GT2 (in its recent history) has been turbo no 'switch' has been witnessed over say prior/most recent offering, here (GT3) it requires a 'philosophical/psychological' shift in thinking and embrace (or lack thereof) for a switch from NA to FI
Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not just an issue of emissions or winning races--Porsche also needs to have enough horsepower to market against its competition. Forum enthusiasts may be okay with less horsepower to preserve an NA drivetrain, but I suspect most buyers of cars like the GT3 are nonetheless more driven by figures on paper. 0-60 times and horsepower numbers are critical in that light. If everyone else is turbocharging, Porsche must eventually do the same to keep up.

I don't like it, but I think that's the way it is.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I would the GT3 would just end as a model, going forward it will be the GT2. The GT2 has always been turbo, and hasn't been produced in the non RS version since 2008. It's time to break it back.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
The difference this time seems to be a lot of auto journalists are reporting that the 992 GT3 is going turbo. In the past 2 months there have been a lot of articles claiming this to be the case. So it seems plausible that Porsche is trying to let the cat out of the bag.

I'm sure Porsche knows. Engine upgrades typically take 3-5 years to develop and new engines potentially even longer. Assuming the 992 GT3 will be released in 2020-2021, I'm sure Porsche already has DV engines built and on test.
Journos were also reporting 991.1rs would be a manual option right up to its release. They were Wrong.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
I would the GT3 would just end as a model, going forward it will be the GT2. The GT2 has always been turbo, and hasn't been produced in the non RS version since 2008. It's time to break it back.
Isn't there something to be said for the racing series these cars are destined for? I know a GT3 R isn't the same as a GT3 but it's close enough to matter and competes against GT3 cars from other manufacturers. Same with the GT4. So they can't just drop it and stick with the GT2 going forward. The GT2 needs to be a monster. Neutering it into something a bit more sane for regular DE users would be disrespectful to the moniker.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Journos were also reporting 991.1rs would be a manual option right up to its release. They were Wrong.
​​​​​
Yes, but the tide has turned more completely since. Will Porsche really be the only manufacturer selling a non-turbo performance car in a few years time? Also, if I recall, AP and others from Porsche have been quoted saying that the NA engine only lasts in the GT3 so long as the race equivalent is competitive. We all see how that's going.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't hear any mud being thrown at the GT2 because it is a turbo. Indeed, the exact opposite. Just imagine a slightly scaled down version of the GT2 but with the same level of emotional intensity. It will be awesome. I cant wait. I have enough NA cars in my garage.
Actually, my dealer offered me that car twice, and I said NO twice, since I don't plan to "flip it", monetary gains would not have been an incentive. At the GT2RS price level, I would buy a Performante all day long. I have no doubt the next GT2RS in 5 years will be even faster. No interest.

Quick Reply: Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)