Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Everyone who joneses for an old 911, I wonder how many have actually spent much time behind the wheel of one. While they look really cool, I expect a lot of folks who've only owned and driven modern Porsches wouldn't really love the old car as much as they think they will.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Everyone who joneses for an old 911, I wonder how many have actually spent much time behind the wheel of one. While they look really cool, I expect a lot of folks who've only owned and driven modern Porsches wouldn't really love the old car as much as they think they will.
So true. I loved my 1989 Guards Red Carrera 3.2 but it there were a bunch of things about the car which made it a difficult daily driver. That being said, I wish I still owned it!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Agree 100%, which is why i want a modern car that looks like the old ones. Spoiled!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

This is so funny, I was telling somebody the exact thing same thing the other day. I was getting nostalgic and went to look at a mid 70s 911 a few months back with every intention of buying it. I took it out for a spin and immediately changed my mind. While it looks cool, sounds cool -- it was sadly far from a great driving or even pleasurable driving car. I have in my garage a 991.1 RS and a 991.2 GT3, they are what I consider the pinnacle of driving pleasure - PDK and manual. Why in the world on a nice day would I pick that old 911 to drive around over these 2 new monsters? I quickly realized I wouldn't. I'm not a collector, I drive the crap out of my cars - that's how I enjoy my free time-- there was no way I would enjoy owning one of these old 911s. Love to look at them and appreciate the heck out of them- just not for me.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
So true. I loved my 1989 Guards Red Carrera 3.2 but it there were a bunch of things about the car which made it a difficult daily driver. That being said, I wish I still owned it!
yep the are mood cars. not every day cars

Originally Posted by stout
Maybe that's the platform share. An elemental, premium rear-engined/motored Porsche built on an elemental, rear-engined/motored Porsche for the masses.

In other words, a new and elemental coupe that follows the logic the 911 has for decades. If a version had to be kicked Audi's or VW's way to make the $$ work, I could live with that. The platform purity ship sailed with the first Cayenne, and has rounded the equator with the Macan.

I miss cars like the 500E/E500. Subtle. Expensive. Dope. Only those in the know knew you weren't driving a 300E 2.6—and it was cooler that way.
sign me up
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

^ T H I S ^
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I daily'd a 78 SC for three years. If I still owned it today, I'd never grab the keys to it over my Spyder. Awesome car for its day. Not so much for this day. And oh that clutch in stop and go traffic.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Best way to own Porsche is modern AND vintage—even if that means "ordinary" examples of each rather an extraordinary one of either. Especially if it means you'll actually drive. One makes you appreciate the other more. My old 914 with a 2.2 flat six, Webers, and a sport muffler has a million-dollar soundtrack. It's loud, smelly, compromised, and yet it somehow holds up as an experience—after even some of the wildest modern stuff. They can't do what it does. Some of that is emotional and personal, but not all of it. But, after a day in the thing, getting into a 981 or 991 is bliss. The 914 can't do what they do, and that's why it's a mood car in 2018.

Funny to read the 930 comments. First time I drove a 3.0, I thought, "This? This is the widow maker?" It felt like a Volkswagen 412 off boost, and like a 2.0-liter WRX on boost. In the rain, maybe, I could see where it would get pretty interesting. Otherwise...well, it's a really special 911 and a performance icon, but I am not sure I can view it as "hardcore." It's pretty soft, actually. Had the same experience first time I drove a 959. Felt like a Cadillac. Then I drove a 959 Sport. Now there is a car that holds up, decades later.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I just want a modern porsche with modern comforts and modern NA engine/transmission/chassis performance that is simply smaller and lighter than the 991/992s.

If they could put PDK-S, NA 4.0, and integrated GPS navigation in a 964/993 body, I’d be set for life.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I talked my wife into a trip from Cincinnati to Asheville, NC in my 94 3.6 turbo. Went great on the way down. First day in town the ignition switch started working intermittently. Two days before we left the AC crapped out with smoke out of the vents. The wife was really irritated driving home in July with no AC and wondering if the car would start after filling up. On another trip the high pressure system failed on the brakes. Great looking car but....
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Henry Catchpole on the 911T. In his summary he is hankering for something similar to what we are asking for.

I think he has to be my favourite motoring journalist (present company excluded ).
Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 AM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
LOL!!!

Anyhow, we can all wring our hands at the news. That is, until the new turbo GT3's start passing the old GT3's at the track like they are standing still. Then, let's see who will still want the NA cars as a track car over the faster and better turbos. If/when this happens, I for one will "upgrade", definitely.
Why didn't all these guys buy GT2s to start?

Why does anyone even bother driving the older cars? They're slower...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Henry Catchpole on the 911T. In his summary he is hankering for something similar to what we are asking for.

https://youtu.be/Da9NeukzE4U

I think he has to be my favourite motoring journalist (present company excluded ).

Thanks for the video. I too look at the T albeit with seats and PCM as a modern mix to the aircooled desire. I had a 991 GTS and a 85 Carerra at the same time but hated having one sit the majority of the time. I was seriously considering the T but a GT3 opened up at MSRP for me. I have not taken delivery yet and I still find myself wavering...
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<< I'm happy! (see avatar)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by FRP
Why didn't all these guys buy GT2s to start?

Why does anyone even bother driving the older cars? They're slower...
Come for a drive in an older Porsche sometime. Then you'll hear it, smell it, feel it, get it. Or you won't, and can move along.

If I was buying into Porsche now, and could have only one, it would be a 987.2 Boxster Spyder, 997 RS 4.0, or 991.2 GT3 Touring. Fortunately, there is an incredible back catalog—even if most of the cars are mood cars now.

Quick Reply: Georg Kacher calling it - 992 GT3 is turbo (410kw)