Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?

Old 07-04-2018, 01:20 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
I used AmmoNYC leather cleaner and conditioner. Works very well.
Recently switched to Adam's leather cleaning and conditioner products. It is good.....but I prefer Ammo. Might switch back.

I feel Ammo did a better job in the sense the leather feels and looks cleaner than Adam's.
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. You've used this stuff on the black leather in a Porsche?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. You've used this stuff on the black leather in a Porsche?
absolutely. Used ammonyc on my GTS with black leather for past 4 years. Looks very good. No issues whatsoever.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotic

absolutely. Used ammonyc on my GTS with black leather for past 4 years. Looks very good. No issues whatsoever.
Used a bit of the Ammo interior mousse today. Seemed to work like a charm. Doesn't overly gloss the leather, no residue, adds a nice fresh matte sheen, and it smells pretty good (like an olde timey leather shop from the wild west).
Old 07-14-2018, 01:56 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JC, any thoughts on plastic sills and piece under rear bumper on 991.2 gt3, cars new and they're already scuffed. Are they just a disposable item?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:10 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What do you recommend for the “rubber” dash on non-leather cars?

Thank you for sharing all this great information.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Anything specific to keep a leather steering wheel from going shiny or same cleaning protocol as other leather? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CC911
JC, any thoughts on plastic sills and piece under rear bumper on 991.2 gt3, cars new and they're already scuffed. Are they just a disposable item?
Scuffs can't be "fixed" in a practical way. But one may be able to improve how they look if they get a really ratty scuff if they shave some of the surface down with a razor or sand paper. Anything outward facing will look like you messed with it though so you might be best off to just let it ride.

Originally Posted by evilfij
What do you recommend for the “rubber” dash on non-leather cars?
Thank you for sharing all this great information.
Try 1Z Cockpit Premium as general care: https://amzn.to/2urYGvO
For deep cleaning, use 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner along with a horse hair brush (agitate the surface, wipe away the slurry, wipe again with a clean MF towel/distilled water and then condition with Cockpit Premium): https://amzn.to/2upTDfp

It's my pleasure.

Originally Posted by brownan
Anything specific to keep a leather steering wheel from going shiny or same cleaning protocol as other leather? Thanks!
Steering wheels get shiny, by and large, from oils and dirt on the skin packing onto the surface (leather or alcantara). To prevent and delay it getting shiny, wear gloves. If it's already shiny, use a new/clean tooth brush to gently agitate the surfaces along with an appropriate cleaner. Once "clean", flush the cleaning product residues free from the surface. Trace levels of cleaning products will promote dirt and oils bonding so decontaminating the surface is necessary to prevent that. In general, there are products for cleaning, products for conditioning/protecting and then there are all-in-one (AIO) products that do a bit of both but neither very well. I am not a fan of AIO's for this reason. I prefer a product for proper cleaning, a decontamination phase to remove trace levels of said product and then a final step for conditioning. Use the best products intended to accomplish a task, take the time to perform the task and then invest in proper conditioning. This is a general rule for any surface of a car and one that many forego. But applying this rule will allow you to maintain a surface to its highest standard, resulting in surfaces that look better for longer, are easiest to clean, smell the way they are supposed to(when applicable) and feel the way they are intended to feel. Most cars from the factory, when brand new, are not close to where they need to be as many are delivered with "dressings" applied to them....as if greasy vinyl and/or leather was ever a thing people should be satisfied with....

For DIY-leather cleaning, look for Leather Master Soft Cleaner: https://amzn.to/2NSiaBP (stronger products are available but I do not urge a typical DIY'er to delve into those products as the risk/reward is difficult to rationalize for anyone that does not work with those products regularly)

For DIY-alcantara cleaning, try Dr. Beasley's Microsuede Cleanser: https://amzn.to/2KXscEa (do not spray directly to the surface unless you are okay with chasing down overspray. Apply to your media/brush, and then agitate in small areas with regular wiping with a clean MF towel)

In either case, decontaminate with multiple treatments of distilled water on clean MF towels(as many as necessary) without ever soaking the surface. More is not better. Take your time and make multiple passes to thoroughly decontaminate without saturating the surface.

For conditioning leather, Leather Master has a number of paths and if you're going to do it right, do a 3-step with the cleaner, Vital: https://amzn.to/2upLJ5H and then Protection Cream: https://amzn.to/2mifWPN

For alcantara, just clean that sucker and decontaminate. Nothing placed on an alcantara steering wheel will hold up. So just keep it clean.

Hope this helps folks.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, much appreciated
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Best way to remove melted on tire/rubber material from quarter panels? On mine, it's stringy and seems to be the tire throwing bits off that melted from heat and then hardened once it hit the car. Didn't come off with a typical wash. And my car has PPF and a ceramic coating. I could try to just scrape it off with my fingernail, but not sure if there's a better way.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Best way to remove melted on tire/rubber material from quarter panels? On mine, it's stringy and seems to be the tire throwing bits off that melted from heat and then hardened once it hit the car. Didn't come off with a typical wash. And my car has PPF and a ceramic coating. I could try to just scrape it off with my fingernail, but not sure if there's a better way.
I've had good luck with this stuff: CarPro Tar X
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

A solvent -based product like Tar X, Tarminator or a body solvent. Although, be careful with allowing such products to touch your lower plastics as there is the chance for it to stain.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
A solvent -based product like Tar X, Tarminator or a body solvent. Although, be careful with allowing such products to touch your lower plastics as there is the chance for it to stain.
Isn't PPF plastic?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Isn't PPF plastic?
Yes. Very expensive and fancy plastic that is engineered to have a healthy measure of chemical resistance. This is greatly due to it's durable top coat. Quality PPF's do not have problems with body solvents as long as you do not soak or allow solvents to dwell on the edge of the film where it may absorb into the urethane and adhesive edge which is not going to have a top coat to protect it.

The plastics on the lowers of 991.1 and 991.2 GT3's are a kind of ABS plastic without a top coat that will resist stronger solvents. So what can happen is with strong enough solvent, or one left to dwell too long, you will end up with a reaction that tends to leave the areas affected looking white. It's not so dissimilar to how the center hub locks can look when someone uses a reactive acid/alkaline cleaner on them.

Either way, the lower plastics are actually pretty stinking inexpensive given they are Porsche parts and will clearly be exposed to higher levels of wear and tear than other areas. But it's a low-cost effort to replace them if necessary. At the same time, I definitely don't want anyone having to replace them on account of reading my thread, seeing me suggest using a solvent cleaner without a reasonable warning and then having to spend money.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:49 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you make suggestions on keeping interior vinyl not-shiny?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Curious how you tackle lighter colored seatbelts (and door straps). Yellow belts look great at delivery but pick up alot of finger oils and grime with use.

Thanks for creating this thread!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?