Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I have a question for you, and I would appreciate any advice. On my white .1 GT3 I used M105 and Jescar with a microfiber pad on my hood, and the minor imperfections (almost look like little hairs - not swirls) are gone now. But I still see small little pin ***** marks (even high on the hood) that you can't feel with the touch, so I am not sure if these should come out with more effort or not. I don't want to go too far on the clear coat, but at the same time I am not sure if I am going far enough. On the rest of the car I generally only see these tiny hairs (almost like lint) that buff out with a few passes. White cars hide so much. :-)

How would you know if you could go farther or not? Paint depth gauge?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I have a question for you, and I would appreciate any advice. On my white .1 GT3 I used M105 and Jescar with a microfiber pad on my hood, and the minor imperfections (almost look like little hairs - not swirls) are gone now. But I still see small little pin ***** marks (even high on the hood) that you can't feel with the touch, so I am not sure if these should come out with more effort or not. I don't want to go too far on the clear coat, but at the same time I am not sure if I am going far enough. On the rest of the car I generally only see these tiny hairs (almost like lint) that buff out with a few passes. White cars hide so much. :-)

How would you know if you could go farther or not? Paint depth gauge?

Thanks for the help!
If you can't feel those spots, leave them be and do not bother with a PDG. A good rule of thumb is to view PDG data as a general idea of what's going on, not empirical data to found aggressive actions on.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

TTT -I have some time to field questions.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Detailed Designs;15463370]
The least intrusive and most (immediately) cost effective thing is to apply a carnauba wax or synthetic polymer via a dual-action machine. Those products will artificially fill much of those microscopic voids/scratches that are causing the light refraction(what you see as "swirls").

Hope this helps shed some light on the topic for you. If you'd like a referral, I have a few people I'd trust in Florida. Just ask.

thanks for this info. I needed to get something done, so I went with a paint sealant. I had the carnuba wax, but took it back in favor of the sealant based on comments read here. I must have had the microscopic scratches as it looks pretty darn clear now, and I don't see the swirl marks anymore. Of course, an expert eye may be able to point out some issue to me. Glad I did not go with the glaze in case I do decide to go with correction and then some sort of correction and film.

Sure, who do you know in FL? I'm in St. Augustine area.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Madisongy;15606157]
Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
The least intrusive and most (immediately) cost effective thing is to apply a carnauba wax or synthetic polymer via a dual-action machine. Those products will artificially fill much of those microscopic voids/scratches that are causing the light refraction(what you see as "swirls").

Hope this helps shed some light on the topic for you. If you'd like a referral, I have a few people I'd trust in Florida. Just ask.

thanks for this info. I needed to get something done, so I went with a paint sealant. I had the carnuba wax, but took it back in favor of the sealant based on comments read here. I must have had the microscopic scratches as it looks pretty darn clear now, and I don't see the swirl marks anymore. Of course, an expert eye may be able to point out some issue to me. Glad I did not go with the glaze in case I do decide to go with correction and then some sort of correction and film.

Sure, who do you know in FL? I'm in St. Augustine area.
The closest I can speak of at the moment is Karim Fritz of https://superiordetailer.com/. But he is in the Orlando area.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 PM
PKF 19 GT3T
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much for this very imformative thread!

I apologized if i missed this but what do you suggest to clean and protect the cloth seats on a GT3 Touring?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PKF 19 GT3T
Thanks very much for this very imformative thread!

I apologized if i missed this but what do you suggest to clean and protect the cloth seats on a GT3 Touring?
Try Dr. Beasley's microsuede cleanser: LINK
Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Any recommendations or power steamer for cleaner, I don’t need to wash the car much as I drive in fair weather only and was thinking a quality pressure steamer would be better than a pressure washer, thoughts?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi if I passed it up in the thread my apologies in advance. What is everyone using to get your paint extra smooth.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Dear JC - What do you recommend for removing winter salt from my carpets? Have Weathertech inserts but ended up collecting a lot of salt around the gas pedal. Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ubtrippin
Hi if I passed it up in the thread my apologies in advance. What is everyone using to get your paint extra smooth.

you must try Beadmaker for smoothness
Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I feel very foolish for asking as NO one is too eat in my cars.... i dropped a hot cheese tac- o sauce on to black leather perforated seats ( ones that have A/C) can't get out... thoughts?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 384 Posts

Wet Vacuum system like Zero Res for carpets. If that doesn't work, burn it and get the insurance and go get a new one.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Steamer rec?

Quick Reply: Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?