Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which wheel do you prefer w Black Paint and Chrome Trim?
Satin Platinum (Darker)
27.85%
Satin Aluminum (Brighter)
72.15%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Black Touring - Satin Plat or Satin Alum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Black Touring - Satin Plat or Satin Alum?

Very excited to report that I found an allocation and will be doing ED with a friend of mine who is also picking up his own GT3 in May. At first I was simply joining him to pick his up and be part of the experience but now we will both have something to drive! Working with Porsche ED rep to finalize same day delivery in side by side stalls. Should be an epic experience to remember. We are already trash talking about wing v no wing. Good times!

So here's my ask - I've been scouring the interwebs for hours trying to get some decent shots of a black touring with Satin Platinum wheels and Satin Aluminum. I need to decide vey soon. Found a few below and also posted the config shots. I am very aware of the threads that exist on the topic but wanted to get some opinions on these wheels specific to a Black Touring w/ PCCBs and Touring Package, chrome trim.

I know what the satin platinum wheels are all about. I have seen them and they are great. But also common. My main question is on the Satin Aluminum - Will they be TOO bright on the black touring or provide better contrast then satin plat?

Pete Stout drove the black touring on the trip where he reviewed the T and GT3T and would spec black with aluminum so that carries a lot of weight. I know others have said they are specing Satin Platinum as it looks a bit 'meaner' which translates to being more durable. I know I can't go wrong on either but none the less wanted to get the collectives thoughts.

Thanks for the input and your vote! Now for the pics!

Satin Plat:

Satin Aluminum:

Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out their website and you’ll see more photos of the car.
I might be wrong but with my eyes the silver wheels in the photo look like the standard silver wheels. In the close up shot they appear to be glossy and not the Matt finish of the satin aluminum. For my touring order I went with satin aluminum with jet black metallic and the silver touring trim. Personally I’m not a big fan of the platinum wheels as I think they can look like they need a good clean. But on Black they look great.

I did see this pic the other day which is lovely.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Satin aluminum wheels looks exotic in real life, very bright. And if you have the aluminum window trim, that is a perfect match. Touring owners get this "gift" of aluminum window trim which the rest of us can't have.. make the most of it with satin aluminum wheels!!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Personally I'm not a fan of black/gray wheels - so aluminium for me!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Not sure satin aluminium is worth the money over the free silver, but I like the lighter look over platinium which I think will be seen as trendy over time (like the painted wheels of the 80s/90s).
Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Satin aluminum wheels looks exotic in real life, very bright. And if you have the aluminum window trim, that is a perfect match. Touring owners get this "gift" of aluminum window trim which the rest of us can't have.. make the most of it with satin aluminum wheels!!
Agree completely . Modern day Singer in my eyes with the aluminum trim and the best of present day mechanical underpinnings from the GT3.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3T

Agree completely . Modern day Singer in my eyes with the aluminum trim and the best of present day mechanical underpinnings from the GT3.

I would be light silver wheels alu or std. Std colour silver surround windows.
You can always get the chrome wrapped in black.
are you going with painted interior colour ? Piano black pretty special
Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

While Satin Platinum wheels are gorgeous, on a black GT3, go with either light or black wheels, no in between. My two cents.

Although the trend right now is light wheels for black Porsches, there is something very special about a 911, especially a GT3, decked out in all black. Uniquely pulls it off quite perfectly, while looking rather ridiculous on many other makes/models.
Of course I'm biased because my car is all black, and I'm going with this look for my Touring if I don't get PTS.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 01-22-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts

I'll just put this here... (not my car, I wish...)

With silver window trim. I think it is a dream combo.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

They both look great. You have a high quality problem.

the platsat is one of those rare colors that manages to look good and mean with almost any color.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Satin aluminum with aluminum trim
Satin Platinum with black window trim
Very simple choice
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Standard silver compliments the chrome trim on Touring best. Satin aluminum even brighter and has matte finish that actually goes better with otherwise all dark cars (black trim) and looks especially great on RS with all its black trim.

Standard silver wheels quite bright but slightly glossy so is better match from glossy chrome trim. Chrome trim isn’t matte brushed aluminum. It’s chrome.

Standard silver wheels also easier to clean thanks to glossy finish. Satin aluminum matte should only be done with PCCBs therefore or else you’re asking for a lot of grunt work to keep clean of brake dust.

I’ve had satin platinum on 3 recent Porsches: .1 GT3 in GT Silver with standard red brakes (looked nice), 981 Boxster S in Dark Blue Metallic and standard brakes (looks nice also), and GT4 in Sapphire Blue Metallic with standard brakes (wish I’d gone silver).

Agree with an an earlier poster that for a black 911, either go bright silver wheels (especially if doing Touring chrome), or all black (with Touring black).

Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo608.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  204.0 KB

Name:  photo221.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  381.5 KB

Congrats on the allocation!

Silver has made a big comeback, especially with .2

I think this classic look compliments the Touring VERY WELL.

PCCB must have with silver.

Do not do black LED headlights with the proposed build (I'd be ok with them on a wing GT3). Will look dated in the future. Stick with standard headlights which will compliment the silver.

The aluminum trim is a MUST with silver wheels. I think I might lean towards standard gloss silver wheels instead of satin. Worried about trim and satin clashing.

Last edited by STG; 01-22-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm doing black, platinum satin, PCCB. I went back and forth and it's just the look I prefer. Don't think there's a wrong answer, just depends on what you like. That vdmcars car above is exactly the look I love. I think the rear wheels on the GT3 look killer in platinum.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Agreed. If doing Satin Platinum, optioned perfectly here including headlights.

Very nice look too. Hard choice!!

Name:  photo967.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  600.3 KB

Quick Reply: Black Touring - Satin Plat or Satin Alum?