Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts
Default tires

The 7500 mile Dunlap MaxRace tires on my GT3 are getting a little thin. I drive it on weekends and do 4 to 6 track events a year. What should I replace them with...Michelin Cup 2s, PSS or P4s?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
The 7500 mile Dunlap MaxRace tires on my GT3 are getting a little thin. I drive it on weekends and do 4 to 6 track events a year. What should I replace them with...Michelin Cup 2s, PSS or P4s?
I took my Cup 2's off... (and OEM wheels) and put on a 2nd set of OEM wheels, with new Michelin PS4S for the street. Couldn't be happier!

Only put the Cup 2's on when going to a track day.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Dave has a good idea. If you decide to stick with one set of tires, I'd go with the Cup 2's.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I took my Cup 2's off... (and OEM wheels) and put on a 2nd set of OEM wheels, with new Michelin PS4S for the street. Couldn't be happier!

Only put the Cup 2's on when going to a track day.

Best Regards,
Dave
Dave, being a complete tire novice, mind sharing why the PS4S are better for the street than the Cup 2? Is it just cheaper tire, more longevity, or less road noise? All guesses. Only reason why I ask is I know the .2 GT3 comes with Cup 2s or the Dunlops, and since my driving will consist of daily stuff along with weekend canyon drives, wondering if the PS4S might be better suited for my GT3, maybe after the Cup2s/Dunlops are toast....
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Dave, being a complete tire novice, mind sharing why the PS4S are better for the street than the Cup 2? Is it just cheaper tire, more longevity, or less road noise? All guesses. Only reason why I ask is I know the .2 GT3 comes with Cup 2s or the Dunlops, and since my driving will consist of daily stuff along with weekend canyon drives, wondering if the PS4S might be better suited for my GT3, maybe after the Cup2s/Dunlops are toast....
Hi Sam,

The PS4S is a better 'all around' tire for sports cars... 80 to 90% of the grip of the Cup 2's, and far more streetable. On the street I haven't noticed any noticeable difference in grip, though on the race track I'm sure the Cup 2's are faster. On the street, first gear, floored it cannot spin the 4S's. The Michelin 4S's tread life will be good for closer to 15 to 20K miles depending on alignment. I've always ran them (or the Pilot Super Sports) on my sports cars, as their grip is right up there with a dedicated track tire, yet none of the compromises, in all weather performance, or kicking up rocks on the car when hot, etc...

I also figure when it comes time to sell the car, even had I not tracked it... I would have just put back on the OEM set, and the car would be easier to sell with 'as new' tires.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Dunlops over MPSC2 on my GT4, hoping to learn for GT3
Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Sam,

The PS4S is a better 'all around' tire for sports cars... 80 to 90% of the grip of the Cup 2's, and far more streetable. On the street I haven't noticed any noticeable difference in grip, though on the race track I'm sure the Cup 2's are faster. On the street, first gear, floored it cannot spin the 4S's. The Michelin 4S's tread life will be good for closer to 15 to 20K miles depending on alignment. I've always ran them (or the Pilot Super Sports) on my sports cars, as their grip is right up there with a dedicated track tire, yet none of the compromises, in all weather performance, or kicking up rocks on the car when hot, etc...

I also figure when it comes time to sell the car, even had I not tracked it... I would have just put back on the OEM set, and the car would be easier to sell with 'as new' tires.

Best Regards,
Dave
100% agree with you. I do the same on all of my cars, where I use PSS or P 4S for 8 months of the year, and use the cup tires during hot summer months because this when I usually do most of track days. If you live in an area where it rains a lot, the cup tires are useless on rainy cold surfaces and can’t handle any puddles. In addition the cup tires lose their grip after so many heat cycles, even if you have plenty of tire tread left, so if you drive your car in a spirited fashion on the street, you may be using up these limited heat cycles and end up with reduced grip, so I would rather save these tires to use up on track or autocrosses.
P.S. the new P 4S grip is outstanding in both dry & wet, and their dry grip is at least 90% if not more of the cup tires. Actually on the street I would argue they might even higher grip levels until you get them heated, then the cup tires would do better. You see the cup tires need heat to maximize their grip, where the 4S tires reach their maximum grip at much lower temperatures. We were shocked last year how close these tires performed during autocrosses against cup tires, and they outperformed the cup tires during the first few runs until we got some heat into the cup tires, then the cup tires were not that far ahead. However on track we did notice the 4S performance & grip levels dropping off after few laps, and the cup tires held their performance for so many laps providing we kept the tire pressures below 33 psi, and this is where the cup tires shine. But again on the street you will never reach these conditions or these high temperatures, unless you are driving so recklessly and during such mild conditions the 4S grip would be close if not better depending on tire and ambient temperatures.

Hope this helps. Mark
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

The MPSC2 are awesome track tires. The are horrible in heavy rain on the highway.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Hi Sam,

Best Regards,
Dave
Originally Posted by mqandil

100% agree with you. I do the same on all of my cars, where I use PSS or P 4S for 8 months of the year, and use the cup tires during hot summer months because this when I usually do most of track days. If you live in an area where it rains a lot, the cup tires are useless on rainy cold surfaces and can’t handle any puddles. In addition the cup tires lose their grip after so many heat cycles, even if you have plenty of tire tread left, so if you drive your car in a spirited fashion on the street, you may be using up these limited heat cycles and end up with reduced grip, so I would rather save these tires to use up on track or autocrosses.
P.S. the new P 4S grip is outstanding in both dry & wet, and their dry grip is at least 90% if not more of the cup tires. Actually on the street I would argue they might even higher grip levels until you get them heated, then the cup tires would do better. You see the cup tires need heat to maximize their grip, where the 4S tires reach their maximum grip at much lower temperatures. We were shocked last year how close these tires performed during autocrosses against cup tires, and they outperformed the cup tires during the first few runs until we got some heat into the cup tires, then the cup tires were not that far ahead. However on track we did notice the 4S performance & grip levels dropping off after few laps, and the cup tires held their performance for so many laps providing we kept the tire pressures below 33 psi, and this is where the cup tires shine. But again on the street you will never reach these conditions or these high temperatures, unless you are driving so recklessly and during such mild conditions the 4S grip would be close if not better depending on tire and ambient temperatures.

Hope this helps. Mark
Originally Posted by tstafford
The MPSC2 are awesome track tires. The are horrible in heavy rain on the highway.
Thanks guys for the input/explanation, appreciate it

Since I won't be tracking my GT3 much (if at all) in California, maybe PS4S will be the way to go for me with daily driving/canyons on the weekends...some food for thought for me once the tires from the factory are done
Old 01-22-2018, 03:08 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam , FWIW
I used to run Michelin Cup 1s on a Targa 4s on a set of track wheels as the car saw a fair amount of laps , I remember such a noticeably better road driving experience when I put the stock wheels back on the the car with a new set of Bridgestone Pole Potenza's , the car drove so much more quietly ,smooth and with
less vibration . The Michelin Pilot Super Sport also a great tire as well and better suited to your future application
Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for all the comments about PS4S being an excellent all around tire. Plus for those that have seperate dedicated track tires the PS4S will let you go on the track if it happens to rain during your event.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'd love if Bridgestone came out in GT3 and RS sizes for the RE-71Rs....magical tires at 1/2 the price of Cup2s.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Sam , FWIW
I used to run Michelin Cup 1s on a Targa 4s on a set of track wheels as the car saw a fair amount of laps , I remember such a noticeably better road driving experience when I put the stock wheels back on the the car with a new set of Bridgestone Pole Potenza's , the car drove so much more quietly ,smooth and with
less vibration . The Michelin Pilot Super Sport also a great tire as well and better suited to your future application
The Michelin PS4s is the new replacement for the MPSS. Both great tires but the PS4s has better dry grip, wet performance and braking without any compromise in tread wear rating. Had PS4s briefly on my turbo S and they were amazing! They get my vote for a DD tire.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by Akunob

The Michelin PS4s is the new replacement for the MPSS. Both great tires but the PS4s has better dry grip, wet performance and braking without any compromise in tread wear rating. Had PS4s briefly on my turbo S and they were amazing! They get my vote for a DD tire.
Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
+1 for all the comments about PS4S being an excellent all around tire. Plus for those that have seperate dedicated track tires the PS4S will let you go on the track if it happens to rain during your event.
Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Sam , FWIW
THanks again for all the info for this novice Will look into them after Cup2/Dunlops are toast or if they get squirrely. Good to know for future reference

Quick Reply: tires