Sponsored by:

Earthquake Impact

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Earthquake Impact

Do any auto policies out there cover earthquake damage or does it have to go through CEA? And have any of the west coast (Cali and Pacific Northwest) folks done preventative measures for cars in the garage? To either prevent the car from hitting obstacles/garage walls or falling debris damage?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Good question, not sure if damage to the car inside the garage will be covered by auto policy or not. If it is through CEA, one needs to make sure they have enough personal property coverage under the policy. I recently updated mine, the default comes with 5k personal properly damage coverage, which will not even pay for a full wrap.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I designed my own garage which included a structural design for seismic forces. I did not design to the code minimums. I have anchored shelves to the wall structure and nothing is stored overhead. I have some saw horse legs (
Amazon Amazon
) that are stored on the wall and I have designed a locking bar so that they can not slide out and fall on my car.

Those in regions with high seismic activity that use car lifts should make certain that their lift is adequately anchored. I would not leave a car elevated on a two post lift.

I am an SE.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 PM
djantlive
Drifting

It would be covered by the car insurance. Same thing as a tree falling on the car or a wildfire burnt the car down.

EQ coverage is primarily on the house and limited to its contents. If the car doesn’t have auto policy coverage, I am sure it won’t be covered.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:12 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Would imagine it's comprehensive....
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Would imagine it's comprehensive....
Would think the same thing. Just like flood which isn't covered under a standard home policy but should be covered under a regular auto policy.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

FYI; In CA most homeowners policies exclude EQ damage. You can purchase an additional EQ policy that is expensive and likely has numerous exemptions. This might be the case in other regions of high to moderate seismic activity.

You would have to check your comprehensive fire and theft to see if EQ damage of your cars are covered. I suspect it is not.

Best insurance is to have your building carefully designed including all elements and components. Most everyone self insures in that EQ's don't happen often and they deal with the damage when it occurs.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

I discussed with my insurance company putting one of my Porsches in storage for the winter and the subsequent impact on insurance savings. I had to keep comprehensive coverage on the car because the garage could catch on fire or a tree could fall through the garage etc.
So at least with my insurance company,the car is covered for everything in the garage including "Acts of God" (i.e earthquake).

P.S. I decided not to put it in storage and just pay the regular insurance. Just yesterday, I ripped the nightgown off her, unplugged the battery tender and put the top down just so I could listen to that NA sound at 5000rpm. Frickin intoxicating.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

As follow-up to this, car is covered by the auto policy for earthquakes luckily. As gago mentioned, CEA earthquake coverage won't cover much for other stuff (TVs, electronics, furniture, paintings, valuables) under the standard. I upped mine to $50k coverage with 15% (~$7k out of pocket) deductible for non-car stuff for about $1k a year.

Quick Reply: Earthquake Impact