Sponsored by:

2016 GT3RS low mile $205K, and other values at Barrett Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I spent the whole weekend going to th various auctions. Was fun to see. As a buyer you have the potential to get a really good deal. As a seller, you have the potential to get royally screwed.

I was watching the white and red RS. I think it sold for 205k plus premium. Which means the seller netted about 180k. Makes no sense as that car recently listed for 235k and sold just a month or so ago. Not sure what price it sold for but let’s just say it sold for 220k. So someone bought the car for 220. Sold it at Barrett and nettted 180. Lost 40k in a month.

im scratching my head wondering why??? What’s the point?

Anyways- BJ is fine but the other auctions are a lot better with better cars. Goodings and Bonhams. Goodings was tops in my book. Fun place, great cars. BJ is a s-show
Never know. Maybe he needed $ yesterday.

Whats clear is that it sold for $32k over list.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Never know. Maybe he needed $ yesterday.

Whats clear is that it sold for $32k over list.

Which is way too high lol. Surprised more on the buyer side than the seller. Granted maybe it was the delivery miles aspect, but I was offered multiple private cars for 2-3 under (UV cars) to 5-10k over (for sub 2k mile cars, one of them an 800 mile PTS black car at 4k over). But hey, happy to see people paying!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
BJ used to be 100% no reserve. Now they typically have a dozen or so per auction they allow a reserve on.
Correct, and it was my observation that most of those reserve cars did not sell. I'm always interested to see the auction totals as a barometer of the collector car market
J
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The seller of the GT3RS had a total of 21 cars in the auction (about 1/3 of his collection). I imagine his seller fees were less than standard.
Still, he could have made more selling himself. Unless he values his time more than money. Or maybe he wanted to be on TV.
Only a handful of cars had a reserve. Roughly 50% did not meet the reserve. Although, some will sell after the auction as deals are made.

There is a reason more auctioneers are millionaires than virtually any other profession. Money from the buyer and seller for arranging a sale. Can't beat that!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
They are all no reserve. I think BJ will allow a reserve on a 7 figure car
I think it's lower. There was a 6x6 tank that didn't hit reserve and the hammer dropped at low 6 figures ($1XX).
Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Thought it was interesting that an '04 (maybe it was '06) blue gallardo 6 speed manual sold for ~$100k with 28k miles. That fetched way more than I was expecting, considering the buyer basically paid $110k in that instance. Absolutely atrocious color combo... blue with dark blue/beige interior.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
Thought it was interesting that an '04 (maybe it was '06) blue gallardo 6 speed manual sold for ~$100k with 28k miles. That fetched way more than I was expecting, considering the buyer basically paid $110k in that instance. Absolutely atrocious color combo... blue with dark blue/beige interior.
saw that car. Horrendously ugly.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Which is way too high lol. Surprised more on the buyer side than the seller. Granted maybe it was the delivery miles aspect, but I was offered multiple private cars for 2-3 under (UV cars) to 5-10k over (for sub 2k mile cars, one of them an 800 mile PTS black car at 4k over). But hey, happy to see people paying!
Private sales always seem to garner less then dealer sales. Unfortunately. There is a comfort in buying from dealer especially with CPO.
Dealer told me last week they are still getting around $15K to $20k over on a nice low mile RS, i.e. under 3500 miles. More for delievery miles. Amazing 4500 and up is considered mid and higher mileage.
Fact remains it changed hands at $32K over.
No question its a buyers market and now is the time to score an RS. Won't surprise me if .2GT3 owners start jumping ship. I would at the numbers you noted you could buy privately.

It's relatively simple really. The .1RS is an epic car in every respect. To say otherwise exposes you as a fool or someone suffering from serious case of sour grapes. It was nigh impossible to score one at MSRP for almost 2 years. Still they are selling for over MSRP with less than 4000 miles. Some guys paid ALOT in 2015 for a car people were fighting in streets over. Remember that insanity???? Some paid $100K over. Most paid to $40K over a year in. I got lucky and paid $28K over in early in '16. Killer deal at the time Could't buy them for any less at that time. God I tried.

I have enjoyed every second of ownership of this beast for nearly two years now. If I leased the damn thing it would have cost me $2500 a month at least to enjoy it for the past two years. That's how I justify my ADM. Plus mine came with a $7000 Xpel satin wrap. I see myself as ahead of the game at this point having owned this amazing vehicle and enjoyed it every minute for the past 2 years. Still makes my heart beat faster when I walk out in my garage and see it. What a car!.

Yes, I could have waited two years without an RS to buy one for maybe $10K to $20K over at this time with low mileage or $30K with delievery miles but I wouldn't have enjoyed that last 2 years with an RS. Life is about choices. I made mine. Not one regret.

I mean just look at the damn thing!

Last edited by Waxer; 01-21-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

People are trading .1Rs for .2GT3, you have it backwards. RS are selling slightly below MSRP to around 10K over. Plenty of examples here on RL to support the above. Now is the time to sell/trade the .1RS or keep it long term. Keeping long term would be the wiser choice, but those owners that want out, now is the time.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know BJ specifically, but in general you can argue the sellers commission if they want your car in the catalogue badly enough. Sometimes to 0%, sometimes a ratchet once your magic number as seller has been exceeded.
Lots goes on that's not obvious. The auctioneer can make bids (take bids 'from the chandelier') up to the reserve price (which isn't disclosed). I've seen a guy make 5 bids against an imaginary competitor, until he hit the reserve, and the auctioneer says the magic words 'selling at this price' (i.e. Now above reserve). Then the auctioneer stops bidding and lets the real action take place. Won't make a fake bid once reserve is passed.
Sometimes the auction house will underwrite special cars or a certain level, or know already they will sell to a helpful buyer waiting in the wings, so put it on the block for publicity.
High class and well trained second hand car salesman!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Private sales always seem to garner less then dealer sales. Unfortunately. There is a comfort in buying from dealer especially with CPO.
Dealer told me last week they are still getting around $15K to $20k over on a nice low mile RS, i.e. under 3500 miles. More for delievery miles. Amazing 4500 and up is considered mid and higher mileage.
Fact remains it changed hands at $32K over.
No question its a buyers market and now is the time to score an RS. Won't surprise me if .2GT3 owners start jumping ship. I would at the numbers you noted you could buy privately.
lol.

Does Porsche wet your beak to relentlessly pimp the RS? I’m not the least interested in the big-wing RS; I’d feel self-conscious driving one unless I was headed for the track. Add the misery that goes with hopped up Subarus, etc. that want to race you....no thanks.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Yup. Wing on Turbo S is totally inconspicuous. LOLYou must be Goldie Locks of rear wings. Not to small, not to big, just right.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0to60
People are trading .1Rs for .2GT3, you have it backwards. RS are selling slightly below MSRP to around 10K over. Plenty of examples here on RL to support the above. Now is the time to sell/trade the .1RS or keep it long term. Keeping long term would be the wiser choice, but those owners that want out, now is the time.
Nope, didn't get it backwards. Another shining example of poor reading skills.
Yes, "high mileage cars" are selling at MSRP and a little below.
One delivery mileage just sold publically for $32k over. Fact.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:38 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your delusional
RL posted this 1200 mile example, not much of a premium if any. I can site more low mileage examples, but you would still be delusional.
https://www.porschewest.com/used/Por...b194879f32.htm
Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Seller of white car is a customer of mine- local AZ guy. He had 100 cars and now he has 80.

Guy has a GREAT collection.

All auction houses spend a ton to make a ton. Great money.

BJ updated policy for anything expected to go over 300k they can now have a reserve.

Quick Reply: 2016 GT3RS low mile $205K, and other values at Barrett Jackson