Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man this PDK is humbling...advise for getting the most satisfaction out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
After spending many years on different forums and owning different cars,I have never encountered a thread that said : " Man I have a manual transmission car and I wish I would've gotten an automatic" (insert here PDK,DCT,DSG). But I always and I mean ALWAYS see the opposite! To me it's no surprise...
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish I had gotten a manual. I want to experience the PDK. My car is spec'd with 18-way adjustable seats, heated seats, etc. Really loaded up. I plan on using this for longer road trips over the Cascade Mountain Range, etc. and often when we take these trips, traffic in the Seattle area is a pain. Last time I had my C2S manual in traffic, I must have stopped/started a few thousand times in a few hours...total PITA.
I have other 3-pedal cars.
I more just want to know how to fully enjoy the PDK. And chances are, it will never be as satisfying as a true 3-pedal car....not a 3-pedal car that has computer intervention that does throttle blips on downshifts for you...that would drive me crazy and make me feel like a poser. Nothing quite compares to the involvement of driving vintage cars for me and nothing probably ever will.
It's a heck of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

the few miles I have driven mine I have used pdk sport as it behaves just like having 3 pedals. Around town auto pdk sport and highway I used paddles and pdk sport. So far I love it, don't find it boring and it is light years better than my M4 DCT
Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
In my opinion you really need to use the paddles for shifting all of the time for max enjoyment. The only exception I can think of is to put it in auto in stop and go traffic or sport auto if you are on the track and aiming for the lowest possible time
exactly
Old 01-18-2018, 07:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

This post highlights an interesting reality, namely, that we need to feel useful in order to feel happy. This is true in life as it is in Porsche.

The PDK allows us to pretend to shift, but in the back of our heads is the knowledge that it really doesn't need us to do so. really, PDK is so good that it laughs at your efforts To second guess it. In fact, rumor has that the AI in the transmission had to be artificially limited by the factory so that when we flick the shift paddles it doesn't tell us to actually "**** off" in german and ignore our vain efforts like an AMG transmission does. (If you've driven an AMG you know what I mean)

Once you realize you can leave the car in automatic and It will always be better than you, then flicking your finger on a plastic paddle to activate a solenoid, Loses any pretense of significance or authenticity.

Maybe driving a manual with the auto blipping function and the flat shifting function is just as fake of an experience. Think about it, you can't forget that you intentionally selected an inferior device outdated device, just to pretend that you could still form an integral part of the machine...

But at least, at least... in that moment with the manual you are actually forced to press the clutch, and move a real mechanical lever with your hand. At least with a manual, you can still pretend you're relevant.

In the end, we are pretending anyway right? Pretending that we are good drivers, or that we need to get somewhere fast with the right tool for the job, or that passing someone on track meant anything at all.

In the end, the best authenticity we can hope for is to authentically enjoy ourselves.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

There is minimal "enjoyment" of the PDK on the street in a GT3. Even if you use paddles, you won't be hitting the redline on the street beyond 1st gear, so if you're merely short shifting with paddles simply let the PDK do it for you. To enjoy the PDK in a GT3! take it to the track. My humble opinion
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I manually shift mine 90% of the time. Sometimes i use the paddles but mostly i use the shifter. Feels more natural. On track it is PDK-S 100%.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Enjoy it, just keep driving it. Learn it, experience it. The GT3 was optimized around the PDK. The chassis the engine everything about the are was optimized around the PDK. The system as a whole was designed around that transmission. It will only get better. I had the 996 GT3, then the 997 GT3, obviously both manuals, but when the 997.2 PDK came out the regular 997.2 911S PDK was a better and faster than the 997.1 GT3 and I bought one. I never looked back. Neither has Ferrari or McClaren. If I had a 993 or older I would want the
manual obviously because thats the way the cars were designed. You have the best system for this car, and you should enjoy it. Take it to the track, let it rip without shifting. Then put it in manual and play with it yourself. One thing I REALLY love about the PDK is at anytime if I am surprised I can just down shift immediately and be in the correct gear. I dont know how many times I was cruising around in the manual GT3's in 3rd gear and a M3 or something came up and nailed it and I couldn't shift fast enough and got blasted because there isn't enough torque down low to pull with other cars unless you build up the revs. In this car that wont ever happen again. Its just a great tranny. I really hated the old Tiptronic but this PDK is arguably the best twin clutch tranny in the world and it makes the whole experience so much better
Old 01-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree with the statement above. The best part is figuring it out yourself. ​​​​​​
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This post highlights an interesting reality, namely, that we need to feel useful in order to feel happy. This is true in life as it is in Porsche.

The PDK allows us to pretend to shift, but in the back of our heads is the knowledge that it really doesn't need us to do so. really, PDK is so good that it laughs at your efforts To second guess it. In fact, rumor has that the AI in the transmission had to be artificially limited by the factory so that when we flick the shift paddles it doesn't tell us to actually "**** off" in german and ignore our vain efforts like an AMG transmission does. (If you've driven an AMG you know what I mean)

Once you realize you can leave the car in automatic and It will always be better than you, then flicking your finger on a plastic paddle to activate a solenoid, Loses any pretense of significance or authenticity.

Maybe driving a manual with the auto blipping function and the flat shifting function is just as fake of an experience. Think about it, you can't forget that you intentionally selected an inferior device outdated device, just to pretend that you could still form an integral part of the machine...

But at least, at least... in that moment with the manual you are actually forced to press the clutch, and move a real mechanical lever with your hand. At least with a manual, you can still pretend you're relevant.

In the end, we are pretending anyway right? Pretending that we are good drivers, or that we need to get somewhere fast with the right tool for the job, or that passing someone on track meant anything at all.

In the end, the best authenticity we can hope for is to authentically enjoy ourselves.
NOW that is a great post...well said!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I down shift with the paddles all the time. Great to hear the engine going to higher revs. FWIW, driving in manual requires some skill to learn when to upshift and downshift. Also, I believe if your in auto and you downshift he remains in auto.

Regarding the size of the paddles they definitely can use bigger paddles. Ferrari paddles are the perfect size but the difference is the Ferrari paddles are stationary whereas the Porsche paddles turn with the steering wheel. If you're driving according to proper technique with hands at three and nine o'clock the smaller paddles makes sense. Problem is we all have our own technique in turning the steering wheel. Some shuffle, some cross over and some go high low. It makes it difficult to change gears when the paddle move with the wheel.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Suncoast offers paddle extensions for the new GT3.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I used to do track days on my Sportbikes. My bikes were always stock with only suspension work for my size / weight. I had a slower bike and weighed more than most on the track. There were plenty of rich guys out there with their $30-$50K bikes or modded bike. But, I found myself passing them often and running Far quicker lap times simply due to my lifetime of riding motocross and sport bikes and developing a skill set and confidence that NO Amount of money could buy.

My point, I'm sure it's like that on the track with cars too. Plenty of crazy rich folks out there (many of you here are I'm sure) but I'd bet a good driver with confidence in a manual car (even lesser car all together) could still humble most with there crazy expensive PDK cars.

In closing, DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY and develop a "Skill Set" with whatever you drive. I'm not saying the PDK isn't as good either, I'm just saying, drive what makes you happy and you'll be better for it. I'll take Skill over equipment any day. Both is even better!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
In my opinion you really need to use the paddles for shifting all of the time for max enjoyment. The only exception I can think of is to put it in auto in stop and go traffic or sport auto if you are on the track and aiming for the lowest possible time
Agree! W
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish I had gotten a manual. I want to experience the PDK. My car is spec'd with 18-way adjustable seats, heated seats, etc. Really loaded up. I plan on using this for longer road trips over the Cascade Mountain Range, etc. and often when we take these trips, traffic in the Seattle area is a pain. Last time I had my C2S manual in traffic, I must have stopped/started a few thousand times in a few hours...total PITA.
I have other 3-pedal cars.
I more just want to know how to fully enjoy the PDK. And chances are, it will never be as satisfying as a true 3-pedal car....not a 3-pedal car that has computer intervention that does throttle blips on downshifts for you...that would drive me crazy and make me feel like a poser. Nothing quite compares to the involvement of driving vintage cars for me and nothing probably ever will.
It's a heck of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow!
Understood.
Well I guess you will have to find what works for you and give you the most enjoyment. As others have said,it will probably happen on the track,where pdk lets you concentrate on your other inputs. I think you will find it fairly difficult to enjoy pdk on the streets just like you're enjoying the manual in your older cars.

And BTW,this has been said so many times and I'm still not sure everyone is aware,but rev matching downshifts in manual GT cars CAN BE TURNED OFF.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Enjoy it, just keep driving it. Learn it, experience it. The GT3 was optimized around the PDK. The chassis the engine everything about the are was optimized around the PDK. The system as a whole was designed around that transmission. It will only get better. I had the 996 GT3, then the 997 GT3, obviously both manuals, but when the 997.2 PDK came out the regular 997.2 911S PDK was a better and faster than the 997.1 GT3 and I bought one. I never looked back. Neither has Ferrari or McClaren. If I had a 993 or older I would want the
manual obviously because thats the way the cars were designed. You have the best system for this car, and you should enjoy it. Take it to the track, let it rip without shifting. Then put it in manual and play with it yourself. One thing I REALLY love about the PDK is at anytime if I am surprised I can just down shift immediately and be in the correct gear. I dont know how many times I was cruising around in the manual GT3's in 3rd gear and a M3 or something came up and nailed it and I couldn't shift fast enough and got blasted because there isn't enough torque down low to pull with other cars unless you build up the revs. In this car that wont ever happen again. Its just a great tranny. I really hated the old Tiptronic but this PDK is arguably the best twin clutch tranny in the world and it makes the whole experience so much better
That's what Porsche wanted its customers to believe when the first gen car was introduced. They have just contradicted themselves with the introduction of the gen 2 car. The manual works brilliantly in a 9000 rpms fast revving engine. But not to worry,Porsche has a vast history of contradicting themselves...

Quick Reply: Man this PDK is humbling...advise for getting the most satisfaction out of it?