Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 manual tranny - why so few reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Wow, Calexio, I’m a PDK guy but now you have me wanting a MT .2 GT3! You are truly living your best life, keep posting your experiences...thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Blkdsr12
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the fantastic read Alex. Really made my Monday morning. Must have been an incredible experience for you to be involved with the development of such an outrageous car.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Wow, Calexio, I’m a PDK guy but now you have me wanting a MT .2 GT3! You are truly living your best life, keep posting your experiences...thanks!
Thanks for the passionate write-up of the MT! I was back-and-forth between the PDK and the MT. However, my 991.1 GT3 being PDK predicated me trying the MT option for a change. I figured PDK cars will continue, PDK will evolve and improve, the next GT3 will have PDK available; however, I doubt that the MT will be offered. That too, the current 991.2 MT is likely the most refined a MT for a Porsche will ever get if that's the case.

Your assessment has me convinced that my choice of MT was the correct decision for me....and my car is only a few days away.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 AM
LukeinLux
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great great great review Calexio!!! 👍
Massima invidia 😄
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome story and pics CAlexio !
You should post more of those as you test more cars in the future !
Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
Thanks for the passionate write-up of the MT! I was back-and-forth between the PDK and the MT. However, my 991.1 GT3 being PDK predicated me trying the MT option for a change. I figured PDK cars will continue, PDK will evolve and improve, the next GT3 will have PDK available; however, I doubt that the MT will be offered. That too, the current 991.2 MT is likely the most refined a MT for a Porsche will ever get if that's the case.

Your assessment has me convinced that my choice of MT was the correct decision for me....and my car is only a few days away.
That's my take too. Can always get a PDK GT car in the future, but a manual might not be available.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you! Enjoyed reading your post CAlexio.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

CALexio. I would love to hear your in depth review of the 991.2 GT3 manual (other that your thoughts about it being the last high revving manual available)! LOL! Bring it on!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

The .2 manual may just turn out to be the keeper to have.
I took it for a short spin yesterday and the balance between the clutch and throw of the shift is perfect for me. Just thrilling by way of driver engagement or getting the one gear change just right. When you get it all spot on... driving Nirvana!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Calexio,
Nice reviews but hurtful to the fragile 911 R owners I'm sure. The 991.2 GT3, the 911R but better - can't wait to get mine.
Can you also comment on your experiences about the 996/997 generation GT2, GT3/GT3 RS etc, and maybe the older 360/430 manual transmission Ferraris? I already eliminated the Astons from my wish list based just on your views. Thanks for saving me some money.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Re: manual reviews, Porsche intentionally supplies the reviewers with PDK cars since the performance is better. They could absolutely pump out a few manual press cars early in the run if they wanted to. PDK means their car will test better and also give more predictable results than relying on the stick and clutch skills that any given journalist might or might not have.

Regardless of what people say, the magazine numbers matter and are an important part of marketing. Plus, in all of the comparison tests, seconds and tenths of a second here and there make the difference between their car being at the top of the list, or lost somewhere in the middle. This is also the case with other options, though to a lesser extent, with things like PCCB, small fuel tank, powerkit etc. options being selected for early press cars.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
CALexio. I would love to hear your in depth review of the 991.2 GT3 manual (other that your thoughts about it being the last high revving manual available)! LOL! Bring it on!
Pick it up mid March in Europe, drive Nürburgring and then down to Geneva auto show. After Geneva we are taking gt3 to Paolo's company for benchmark testing.. he's making some really special cars upcoming and If we use a gt3 as a benchmark.. then hopefully, these will be amazing cars to drive. So car stays there earning its keep until june when I go back to Italy to get married.

I'll therefore be able to offer feedback by late March. But again, I'm just like all of us.. probably the current owners have already said it all, I hope I'll be able to offer additional insight but won't be easy.

Originally Posted by Riz
Calexio,
Nice reviews but hurtful to the fragile 911 R owners I'm sure. The 991.2 GT3, the 911R but better - can't wait to get mine.
Can you also comment on your experiences about the 996/997 generation GT2, GT3/GT3 RS etc, and maybe the older 360/430 manual transmission Ferraris? I already eliminated the Astons from my wish list based just on your views. Thanks for saving me some money.
Sorry I have no experience with older gt3's. I have driven f430 quite a bit on road, and it's got a really nice and pointy front end, felt like my 981 Spyder.. not overpowering engine, but really great neutral dynamics. F1 Transmission is sh!te.. if I could find a manual f430 that would be very special (do you see a pattern emerging? Haha #manualfanboy )
Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You Alex!! THANK YOU!!

That may be the best post all year - and we are in January.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

@Calexio, you are very fortunate to drive all those cars. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
While The world of sports cars has never been more saturated then today, remember that in production today there are maybe one or two naturally aspirated high revving engines left, the GT3 and the V 12 Ferrari... And there is only one left with a manual transmission.

ONLY ONE MANUAL NA HIGH REV CAR IN PRODUCTION IN THE WORLD. The gt3.2, which will have only ONE year of production, 2018.

That is no small fact, and it will keep this car extremely relevant for the for seeable future.

I'll also add something else. I get to drive almost every major sports car in the world on track. GT3RS/488/P1/CGT/918/F12-TDF/675LT/911R/458Speciale/SCG003 (development driver).. I could go on. And while I'm not wealthy enough to own these cars, I have had the incredible honor and experience of being able to drive each one very hard, with no restraint or consideration of value. I was able to live with a few for extended periods and high mileage trips across states. It enabled me to look at each one of these machines objectively and critically. This enabled me, in my own mind at least, to decide with certainty from experience which one I would want to own. Of all of these, if I could only have one, a keeper forever, there is absolutely only ONE which I would want in my garage, the 911R. And even the R I found slightly lacking for one reason, a relatively disappointing top end.. it went flat.. but it still won hands done overall in my mind.. when I could pick I let others take the hypercars, I would take the old school low power (comparatively) manual 911R.

All the other wunder cars were exciting but flawed, more a novelty than a comprehensive package. Or too much to enjoy in regular moments on road at normal speeds.. really only at home in extreme situations like track or illegal road speeds. All in my mind quickly become surpassed technology, falling in the shadows of whatever car comes next.. always what's next?

The 911R was never like this, always my go-to. Now, I can't have the 911R but I can the next best thing.. the manual 911 GT3.2. And luckily, porsche fixed the ONE issue I experienced with the 911R, namely the weak-ish top end. How lucky are we???... mere mortals with the very pinnacle of perfect sports car development??!!!!.

I say this with absolute certainty and excitement that the only car of these I can afford, is actually the only one I would want to have... the GT3.2 Manual. I can buy it KNOWING, just KNOWING, that I've driven almost everything the world has to offer and that this is my true CHOICE!

Hopefully this does not come across as braggadocious, that's really not my intent... I stay relatively quiet about stuff like this normally, And I'm not really a Porsche fanboy. I just think that this car is incredibly unique not only in today's environment, but for a long long time to come. The sum of its parts is so well measured, so ON POINT, that to surpass its ownership experience and driving engagement, especially in today's turbo flappy paddle environment.. will be IMPOSSIBLE.

Rejoice GT3.2 manual owners, because everyone of us who is getting an allocation is indeed the luckiest of all sports car owners. I am 100% certain of this, and I feel that lucky.
So are you going Touring or Winged?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 manual tranny - why so few reviews?