Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 manual tranny - why so few reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I own and drive the .2 GT3, but reality is, the internet moves on. GT3 is last years news. Everyone is preparing for the RS next month !
Hate to say it you’re right. The hype is dying and now what’s new ........our new reality.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Here is another good one. Confirms that I am making the right choice for my driving style and mission going with a touring manual car

https://www.topgear.com/videos/supercars/video-porsche-911-r-vs-911-gt3-manual

Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

Hate to say it you’re right. The hype is dying and now what’s new ........our new reality.
I’d love to own the new RS but it would be a garage queen if I owned one. It’s totally focused track racer which I don’t really do. I like to find empty roads and drive. For track guys though... it’s gonna be the IT ride.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
While The world of sports cars has never been more saturated then today, remember that in production today there are maybe one or two naturally aspirated high revving engines left, the GT3 and the V 12 Ferrari... And there is only one left with a manual transmission.

ONLY ONE MANUAL NA HIGH REV CAR IN PRODUCTION IN THE WORLD. The gt3.2, which will have only ONE year of production, 2018.

That is no small fact, and it will keep this car extremely relevant for the for seeable future.

I'll also add something else. I get to drive almost every major sports car in the world on track. GT3RS/488/P1/CGT/918/F12-TDF/675LT/911R/458Speciale/SCG003 (development driver).. I could go on. And while I'm not wealthy enough to own these cars, I have had the incredible honor and experience of being able to drive each one very hard, with no restraint or consideration of value. I was able to live with a few for extended periods and high mileage trips across states. It enabled me to look at each one of these machines objectively and critically. This enabled me, in my own mind at least, to decide with certainty from experience which one I would want to own. Of all of these, if I could only have one, a keeper forever, there is absolutely only ONE which I would want in my garage, the 911R. And even the R I found slightly lacking for one reason, a relatively disappointing top end.. it went flat.. but it still won hands done overall in my mind.. when I could pick I let others take the hypercars, I would take the old school low power (comparatively) manual 911R.

All the other wunder cars were exciting but flawed, more a novelty than a comprehensive package. Or too much to enjoy in regular moments on road at normal speeds.. really only at home in extreme situations like track or illegal road speeds. All in my mind quickly become surpassed technology, falling in the shadows of whatever car comes next.. always what's next?

The 911R was never like this, always my go-to. Now, I can't have the 911R but I can the next best thing.. the manual 911 GT3.2. And luckily, porsche fixed the ONE issue I experienced with the 911R, namely the weak-ish top end. How lucky are we???... mere mortals with the very pinnacle of perfect sports car development??!!!!.

I say this with absolute certainty and excitement that the only car of these I can afford, is actually the only one I would want to have... the GT3.2 Manual. I can buy it KNOWING, just KNOWING, that I've driven almost everything the world has to offer and that this is my true CHOICE!

Hopefully this does not come across as braggadocious, that's really not my intent... I stay relatively quiet about stuff like this normally, And I'm not really a Porsche fanboy. I just think that this car is incredibly unique not only in today's environment, but for a long long time to come. The sum of its parts is so well measured, so ON POINT, that to surpass its ownership experience and driving engagement, especially in today's turbo flappy paddle environment.. will be IMPOSSIBLE.

Rejoice GT3.2 manual owners, because everyone of us who is getting an allocation is indeed the luckiest of all sports car owners. I am 100% certain of this, and I feel that lucky.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was passionate, marvelously expressed and succinct. CAlexio thank you for sharing! Best post that I have read on Rennlist in ages! Can hardly wait for mine.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

^ Alex, thanks for your post, but you made me a bit more impatient waiting for my Touring GT3. And you’re going to love my PTS choice...

Old 01-21-2018, 04:01 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
While The world of sports cars has never been more saturated then today, remember that in production today there are maybe one or two naturally aspirated high revving engines left, the GT3 and the V 12 Ferrari... And there is only one left with a manual transmission.

ONLY ONE MANUAL NA HIGH REV CAR IN PRODUCTION IN THE WORLD. The gt3.2, which will have only ONE year of production, 2018.

That is no small fact, and it will keep this car extremely relevant for the for seeable future.

I'll also add something else. I get to drive almost every major sports car in the world on track. GT3RS/488/P1/CGT/918/F12-TDF/675LT/911R/458Speciale/SCG003 (development driver).. I could go on. And while I'm not wealthy enough to own these cars, I have had the incredible honor and experience of being able to drive each one very hard, with no restraint or consideration of value. I was able to live with a few for extended periods and high mileage trips across states. It enabled me to look at each one of these machines objectively and critically. This enabled me, in my own mind at least, to decide with certainty from experience which one I would want to own. Of all of these, if I could only have one, a keeper forever, there is absolutely only ONE which I would want in my garage, the 911R. And even the R I found slightly lacking for one reason, a relatively disappointing top end.. it went flat.. but it still won hands done overall in my mind.. when I could pick I let others take the hypercars, I would take the old school low power (comparatively) manual 911R.

All the other wunder cars were exciting but flawed, more a novelty than a comprehensive package. Or too much to enjoy in regular moments on road at normal speeds.. really only at home in extreme situations like track or illegal road speeds. All in my mind quickly become surpassed technology, falling in the shadows of whatever car comes next.. always what's next?

The 911R was never like this, always my go-to. Now, I can't have the 911R but I can the next best thing.. the manual 911 GT3.2. And luckily, porsche fixed the ONE issue I experienced with the 911R, namely the weak-ish top end. How lucky are we???... mere mortals with the very pinnacle of perfect sports car development??!!!!.

I say this with absolute certainty and excitement that the only car of these I can afford, is actually the only one I would want to have... the GT3.2 Manual. I can buy it KNOWING, just KNOWING, that I've driven almost everything the world has to offer and that this is my true CHOICE!

Hopefully this does not come across as braggadocious, that's really not my intent... I stay relatively quiet about stuff like this normally, And I'm not really a Porsche fanboy. I just think that this car is incredibly unique not only in today's environment, but for a long long time to come. The sum of its parts is so well measured, so ON POINT, that to surpass its ownership experience and driving engagement, especially in today's turbo flappy paddle environment.. will be IMPOSSIBLE.

Rejoice GT3.2 manual owners, because everyone of us who is getting an allocation is indeed the luckiest of all sports car owners. I am 100% certain of this, and I feel that lucky.
Wow! Thanks for this superb from the heart analysis. Has made my day reading this. My car had better come soon!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

THERE IS ONLY ONE MANUAL NA HIGH REV CAR IN PRODUCTION IN THE WORLD. The gt3.2, which will have only ONE year of production, 2018........

Alex, what a wonderful write up, explanation, and sharing of your experiences. My thanks.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

GT350 is manual and revs to 8,000 or even 8,200 but it is supercharged
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

‘well said I agree with you, my point about reality people are people and only want because it’s the new thing. I have an allocation at MSRP, but not interested I’ve never purchased the same car twice.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dammit Alex, did you have to make this interminable wait even worse? My car's been at Houston for two weeks waiting to be shipped to my dealer, lol. Seriously though, great points. There is nothing else currently available that I'd rather have than what I have coming.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:19 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Beautifully stated CAlexio.
Given your experience would love it if you could expand on each car in you list, maybe a short paragraph?
i have a 458 Speciale and awaiting a GT3 manual this March...would be interested in your thoughts. The Speciale is a precision weapon, but at relatively normal humane speeds it seems bored with what it is being asked to do.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
GT350 is manual and revs to 8,000 or even 8,200 but it is supercharged
GT350 is naturally aspirated.

Only other high revving NA engine I can think of is the Huracan/R8. But no manual in either of these.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:47 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

CAlexio, excellent summary!

I typically don't keep cars very long (18 months max) and so my wife just asked what's next after the .2GT3. I told her it's the first time I'm not excited about anything else out there. There are a lot of great cars on the market, but I feel like all will simply be a downgrade.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Perfectly said CAlexio! I’ve never driven the other incredible cars that you have but still feel very lucky to have the manual GT3! I get excited every time I drive it and I know I’m not alone ��

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 manual tranny - why so few reviews?