Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a Touring to a ‘temporary’ winged track rat!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I like the OP's idea, and I was thinking of taking it one step further.. going Touring, but then occasionally switching in a PDK module for track work so my lap times could be just as fast as my buddy who went pdk, then go back to manual transmission for road use? Pretty wicked smart idea right?

So, Do you guys think this would be that hard?.. it's probably just a simple ECU re flash, and a few screws to remove the paddles behind the column for true manual use, and maybe a few more screws loose for the transmission, and maybe a few more screws loose for the spoiler. Is that too many screws loose?

Why not? Take your pick on seats, transmissions, engine size, 100 PTS color options, wings, etc.

Name:  photo603.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  308.2 KB

Last edited by STG; 01-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the OP's idea, and I was thinking of taking it one step further.. going Touring, but then occasionally switching in a PDK module for track work so my lap times could be just as fast as my buddy who went pdk, then go back to manual transmission for road use? Pretty wicked smart idea right?

So, Do you guys think this would be that hard?.. it's probably just a simple ECU re flash, and a few screws to remove the paddles behind the column for true manual use, and maybe a few more screws loose for the transmission, and maybe a few more screws loose for the spoiler. Is that too many screws loose?
Sounds like you already have a screw or two loose
Old 01-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Kinda funny how a year ago people on here were hunting all over for pictures of GT3s and RS's that had removed the wing and everyone commented how cool it was. Then the R came out and people raved about the car, how cool it looked, perfect Porsche, if we could only buy it at sticker. Now the Touring comes out and all you hear is 'a GT3 needs a wing!'. As Eric Clapton said, there's one in every crowd.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I've got a more efficient solution. When I take my Touring to the track, I'm going to hire a pro racer to drive the car for me. I'm sure that'll improve my lap times more than any wing ever could. Then I'll come on here and brag about the times my Touring turned at the track.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:01 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've got a more efficient solution. When I take my Touring to the track, I'm going to hire a pro racer to drive the car for me. I'm sure that'll improve my lap times more than any wing ever could. Then I'll come on here and brag about the times my Touring turned at the track.
Cheaper and quicker to just edit the PDF document with race times. Who here actually checks facts?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

LOL the comments here made me laugh, nice way to start the morning

For the OPs sake, if you want a wing: get the GT3. If you prefer a GT3 without the wing: get the GT3T

Be happy Porsche is still making the GT3 and, being even more accommodating, offering it wingless for those who prefer it that way.... Don't bite the hand that "feeds" you! ("feeds" as in continues to make the best sports car in the world)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

While we're at it, why not explore a transmission swap for track-use! One can switch out to a PDK-S for track use (crush my DEs) and revert back to the MT for 'max driver engagement' for canyon carving and on the drive to C&C...jeez!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
While we're at it, why not explore a transmission swap for track-use! One can switch out to a PDK-S for track use (crush my DEs) and revert back to the MT for 'max driver engagement' for canyon carving and on the drive to C&C...jeez!
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Sounds like you already have a screw or two loose
Takes one to know one... but seriously... i love threads like this. some get the joke.. others let it fly right over their heads.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Takes one to know one... but seriously... i love threads like this. some get the joke.. others let it fly right over their heads.
LOL...monsieur waterfall totally missed the joke!! Seeing as you already covered the PDK-to-MT swap (I missed that), how about we propose swapping out the mechanical diff in the Touring for the e-diff for track use, while the OP is at it. Gotta shave that 1/10th of his laptime at the track!!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Let's see. Someone wants a 911 with a NA engine....what options do we have in a new one...

And OP it probably works best to get the touring version, and then remove it for whatever else you want to put in its place as the electronics in wing control come out easier than putting them in.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

omg I cant believe all the ridicule for a reasonable question. people don't like the look of a big wing on a street car. remember the Jeremy Clarkson rant against Porsche wings when taking Kristen scott Thomas out to dinner? but they also track the car where the wing might/should be helpful. so buy a wing and put it on and off as needed. big deal
Old 01-17-2018, 06:19 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idk, I don’t see anything wrong w wanting to go wingless sometimes, but liking it other times. You get the look of two cars w/o having to buy two unobtanium GT3s... I don’t think I would specifically swap back and forth for track only, but if I keep this car as long as I think I will, you can bet it won’t look the same in 10 years as it does the day I buy it- I’m just not that boring, I gotta change it up sometimes.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
omg I cant believe all the ridicule for a reasonable question. people don't like the look of a big wing on a street car. remember the Jeremy Clarkson rant against Porsche wings when taking Kristen scott Thomas out to dinner? but they also track the car where the wing might/should be helpful. so buy a wing and put it on and off as needed. big deal
Agree.

Any of you have PSE? Well, it lets you drive around with the exhaust either loud or quiet. I don't see anyone freaking out about that type of adjustability. So why the freakout over a wing that can be added for the track but removed for the street.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Agree.

Any of you have PSE? Well, it lets you drive around with the exhaust either loud or quiet. I don't see anyone freaking out about that type of adjustability. So why the freakout over a wing that can be added for the track but removed for the street.
I think the point is that yes PSE from Porsche comes with the 991 GT3 and allows you the option of exhaust loud or quiet. Just as now Porsche offers the GT3 without the wing, or with the wing, catering to the enthusiasts who want something similar to the R, something more discreet, or for other various reasons. I would personally call it good there and not get too greedy, but if you have a touring pack car do with it as you like. I can even understand the argument for taking the wing off of a 991.1 GT3 (I wouldn't), as there was no touring pack for the .1 GT3 aka no option from Porsche. Same with putting a manual in a 991.1 GT3RS, as no option from Porsche. But when Porsche gives you already the option to go "regular" GT3 (wing), or the all new touring pack (no wing &they had never offered this before, now it is a more discreet/more classic looking 911), just pick one and roll with it.... We can't always have it all....

Quick Reply: Converting a Touring to a ‘temporary’ winged track rat!