Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3RS's under or near MSRP now

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I get the scoops comment but the WING; love the RS wing! If someone's a wing hater, they think u r an equal jack *** sporting a GT3 wing as an RS to the avg person on the street. So go bold or go touring I say.
+1 its all about the wing! No wide fenders no care. RS just looks so much more badass
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 PM
ConcreteCowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gac1077
I believe the previous owner it's on instagram themarkhull he traded it for a .2 GT3, he did track the car a lot based on his post on Instagram
This is true, mark did own this car, his name on here is @defen5e . We accepted our RS' at the same time at Park Place. He is a regular at COTA events and the car has been tracked but very well taken care of. For my sake, I hope this car sells as eventually my RS will meet the same fate even though I have a 991.2 as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Prices will continue to drop on the .1 RS. The third pedal on the .2 GT3 is taking demand away from the RS. The 997.2 RS had the third pedal so prices and demand are strong.
one thing is sure. The comparable used .1RS will always be worth more than the comparable used .2GT3. Secondly GT3 will never be an RS. Of these two points I’m certain. While some RS have been sold by some owners for an mt the choice preference is about 50/50 as to mt vs PDK. You have to really want an mt to give up an .1RS. I’m not aware of many who went from a .1RS to a PDK .2 GT3.

Now is the time to by a .1RS not a .2GT3 imho.

High mileage and track mileage RS still sporting serious asking price for a 2 year old car. Even 997.2 RSs are VERY sensitive to mileage and track use.

If the .2RS is PDK and Porsche has made clear RSs get only PDK since it provides superior performance and is limited as expected with impossible adms and allocation .1RS values will likely go back up.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^^Do not disagree with above. I think timing is getting close to pick up a .1 RS; if one so desires. The gamble is how many .2 RSs will they produce. Nobody has a clue right now but I am thinking less than .1. If they still pump out like 5000 of these all bets are off - .1s will drop and certainly below MSRP. Very few will trade their .2 Manual for a PDK RS so it will take many out of the market unless they will buy - as an addition to their .2 GT3. But, one can not over estimate the demand for the RS. Higher price point, very gregarious, and really more track oriented. It will be interesting to see how many .1 GT3s/RSs are still for sale say in June, which, if many- will not bode well for the secondary market prices
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt

It’s been there for 2-months at that price with zero movement.
Hmmm. Saw another one listed for the same price.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Even if it was tracked for most of those miles. The car is designed to be tracked.
If it was really tracked for all of those miles it would be nearing time for an engine rebuild soon. 991.2 Cup engines and gearbox need a scheduled rebuild at 100 hours, and keep in mind that engine was de-tuned from the street car in order to increase longevity. Yes they are designed to be tracked, but usage is still all important.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

If it was really tracked for all of those miles it would be nearing time for an engine rebuild soon. 991.2 Cup engines and gearbox need a scheduled rebuild at 100 hours, and keep in mind that engine was de-tuned from the street car in order to increase longevity. Yes they are designed to be tracked, but usage is still all important.
There's normally a big difference between racing and tracking. I know of tracked GT3's that have happily gone well over 25000 miles on track, which equates to about 300 track hours. Also, the 100h recommendation (but isn't it now something like 180 or 200) relates more to performance and avoiding a DNF than an actual life expectancy. I personally run a 996 Cup which shows no issues at a leakdown after about 80 hours of tracking and racing. I expect to run it beyond 120h compared to the recommended 60 (think even 40 when they were raced in 2004), because I do not care so much about a slight drop in performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:30 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

one thing is sure. The comparable used .1RS will always be worth more than the comparable used .2GT3. Secondly GT3 will never be an RS. Of these two points I’m certain. While some RS have been sold by some owners for an mt the choice preference is about 50/50 as to mt vs PDK. You have to really want an mt to give up an .1RS. I’m not aware of many who went from a .1RS to a PDK .2 GT3.

High mileage and track mileage RS still sporting serious asking price for a 2 year old car. Even 997.2 RSs are VERY sensitive to mileage and track use.

If the .2RS is PDK and Porsche has made clear RSs get only PDK since it provides superior performance and is limited as expected with impossible adms and allocation .1RS values will likely go back up.
That's not for sure at all. Manual transmission cars hold far stronger values in the used market then automatics... An RS is an RS - until they make over 5000 of them and only offer a slushbox.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mika911

There's normally a big difference between racing and tracking. I know of tracked GT3's that have happily gone well over 25000 miles on track, which equates to about 300 track hours. Also, the 100h recommendation (but isn't it now something like 180 or 200) relates more to performance and avoiding a DNF than an actual life expectancy. I personally run a 996 Cup which shows no issues at a leakdown after about 80 hours of tracking and racing. I expect to run it beyond 120h compared to the recommended 60 (think even 40 when they were raced in 2004), because I do not care so much about a slight drop in performance.
Originally Posted by destaccado
That's not for sure at all. Manual transmission cars hold far stronger values in the used market then automatics... An RS is an RS - until they make over 5000 of them and only offer a slushbox.
First, you are conflating classic car senarieos with present day production offerings. In classic car settings where mt was rare in production like the F430, 987.2 Spyder, classic muscle etc this is certainly true.

Second, my assumption is based on PDK only for RS and .2GT3RS limited production which appears likely due to time frames.

Third, your position relies on a different set of events. Yes, if they make 5000 .2GT3 RS and offer mt values of .1RS will be negatively affected. This negative effect will have the same negative effect on .2GT3 for obvious reasons but for sure .1RS will still be worth more than comparable GT3.

By all acccounts they are still pumping out .2GT3 at a pretty good rate and many with mt. Very simply, a lot of .2 GT3 with mt means they will have no special value over Porsche PDK in today’s world especially with PDK superior performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I agree with this. DEs are not racing conditions by a long shot. Race engines are built to very different tolerances.

Still “tracking” a car has a definite negative impact on value. No question. The more it’s been tracked the more impact to the average buyer. That’s the first question that’s usually asked when a performance car is being sold.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^Do not disagree with above. I think timing is getting close to pick up a .1 RS; if one so desires. The gamble is how many .2 RSs will they produce. Nobody has a clue right now but I am thinking less than .1. If they still pump out like 5000 of these all bets are off - .1s will drop and certainly below MSRP. Very few will trade their .2 Manual for a PDK RS so it will take many out of the market unless they will buy - as an addition to their .2 GT3. But, one can not over estimate the demand for the RS. Higher price point, very gregarious, and really more track oriented. It will be interesting to see how many .1 GT3s/RSs are still for sale say in June, which, if many- will not bode well for the secondary market prices
Jim: you’re right again. Wait.. that means I’m right too. Lol
Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

You are always so defensive about the .1 RS. The person who owned that car actually traded it in for a .2 GT3. Some people buy cars for the experience moreso than the future resale. They want the newest and best thing. If I didn’t get a .2 GT3 in manual I would have kept my GT4 over a .1 RS because of the experience of a manual. When the .2 RS comes out, it will improve on the .1 in every way and will also be produced in less numbers. Will you be getting a .2 RS or will you be saying the .1 RS looks better, feels more raw and how you car is better, yada yada? I posted the car here because I thought it was a good deal now that prices came down and so someone would enjoy it. Who cares what these cars will be worth in a few years? If you want to make some money, stick your 200k in an S&P index or your business.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Service intervals for 991.2 Cup went from 50 to 100 hours for motor and from 30 to 60 hours for trans. Street and Cup motors are now the same save some ancillary bits not needed on Cup. I agree that they can and do go beyond recommended service intervals but it all comes down to your tolerance for performance decline and the risk of a much bigger repair bill the further one goes past recommended service intervals. I disagree that racing is somehow harder on the motor than serious DE use unless you're participating in a standing-start series. The only difference between DE guys focused on shaving tenths in 20-30 minute sessions and drivers in race series is that they're not rubbing fenders. Now if you're puttering around at 7/10ths in DE that's a different story.

Last edited by Nizer; 01-17-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

deleted...

Last edited by 911dev; 01-17-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3RS's under or near MSRP now