Sponsored by:

Noob Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts
Default Noob Headlight Question

Seems like headlights are really confusing. Been searching threads but a lot of the info is for other cars or older GT3 models and I'd just like to confirm.

In what configuration are the lower light bars in the bumper on? Are they part of DRL? Are they part of the low beams? Can they be turned on/off independently of the other lights?

Standard bi-xenon DRL = 4 tight LED dots + lower lights in bumper?
Bi-xenon + PDLS DRL = 4 tight LED dots + lower lights in bumper?
LED = 4 wider dots + ring and the lower lights in bumper are not on for DRL?

Or do I have it backward?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Think there is a whole thread on this. Four dot in center are either base lamp or PDLS lamp. Larger halo dots are LED.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by brownan
Think there is a whole thread on this. Four dot in center are either base lamp or PDLS lamp. Larger halo dots are LED.
Yep, I've seen that thread. But that's not what I'm asking about, thanks for the info though. I'll post my question in that thread.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:34 AM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Seems like headlights are really confusing. Been searching threads but a lot of the info is for other cars or older GT3 models and I'd just like to confirm.

In what configuration are the lower light bars in the bumper on? Are they part of DRL? Are they part of the low beams? Can they be turned on/off independently of the other lights?

Standard bi-xenon DRL = 4 tight LED dots + lower lights in bumper?
Bi-xenon + PDLS DRL = 4 tight LED dots + lower lights in bumper?
LED = 4 wider dots + ring and the lower lights in bumper are not on for DRL?

Or do I have it backward?
The above is correct for LED - bumper lights are NOT on for DRL as the LED ring is the DRL. This is true for .1 and .2 GT3.
With respect to non-LED, if we're talking .1 GT3, the bumper lights were DRL since the headlight did not have the 4 dots (I believe for both std light and PDLS). For .2 GT3 non-LED the headlight now has the 4 dot DRL so I don't believe the lights in the bumper come on.

Last edited by Mr. Vanos; 02-06-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:37 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
The above is correct for LED - bumper lights are NOT on for DRL as the LED ring is the DRL. This is true for .1 and .2 GT3.
With respect to non-LED, if we're talking .1 GT3, the bumper lights were DRL since the headlight did not have the 4 dots (I believe for both std light and PDLS). For .2 GT3 non-LED the headlight now has the 4 dot DRL so I don't believe the lights in the bumper come on.
But I've seen photos of .2 where there are the 4 dot DRL (non-LED) and the bumper lights are on. And I've seen photos of the .2 where just the 4 dots are on. And I've also seen photos of new .2 with ring/halo DRL and bumper lights on.

So I'm confused.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

So when ARE they on? What are the bumper lights for?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Old 02-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

In both photos above it looks like the parking lamps (running lights) are also on so it’s not really a true DRL scenario right? Note that that side markers are on and pretty sure taillights are lit too. You need a photo in daytime in actual DRL scenario. I’m guessing the bumper lights come on when the running lights come on. My car has LED’s otherwise I would check.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:40 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

In both photos above it looks like the parking lamps (running lights) are also on so it’s not really a true DRL scenario right? Note that that side markers are on and pretty sure taillights are lit too. You need a photo in daytime in actual DRL scenario. I’m guessing the bumper lights come on when the running lights come on. My car has LED’s otherwise I would check.
Well that's what I was asking in the first place. If it's possible to get DRL and bumper lights on at the same time. So I guess it is, then as the bumper lights are part of the running lights?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:46 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I was under the impression that for daytime running lights, non-LED get the 4-dots in the headlights and bumper lights, and LED only get the halo DRL, not bumper lights. Could be mistaken
Old 02-06-2018, 05:31 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I was under the impression that for daytime running lights, non-LED get the 4-dots in the headlights and bumper lights, and LED only get the halo DRL, not bumper lights. Could be mistaken
I believe you're right.

I have LED. You get the 4 LEDs in the halo as well as the halo which you can see up close. No bumper lights. If you turn on your "first level" lights, then halo/LEDs go away and the bumper lights come on only. For non-LED, you get the 4 inside running lights as well as the bumper lights.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Guys, look at the photos. The bumper lights are on and the DRL are also on. Simultaneously. I have an entire folder of GT3 photos on my computer and plenty of additional examples. Shamoo, you're saying that on your car you can't get the DRL and bumper lights to be on at the same time?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Guys, look at the photos. The bumper lights are on and the DRL are also on. Simultaneously. I have an entire folder of GT3 photos on my computer and plenty of additional examples. Shamoo, you're saying that on your car you can't get the DRL and bumper lights to be on at the same time?
DRL and turning the headlight/bumper lights on (or if on auto at nighttime) are two entirely separate things. DRL are on ALL the time as soon as the car is on. Even in bright sunlight during the day. You can get the bumper lights and headlights on if you turn the lights on manually or at night time if the lights are set to auto....
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
DRL and turning the headlight/bumper lights on (or if on auto at nighttime) are two entirely separate things. DRL are on ALL the time as soon as the car is on. Even in bright sunlight during the day. You can get the bumper lights and headlights on if you turn the lights on manually or at night time if the lights are set to auto....
I guess the photos answer my question. Maybe I'm just not communicating clearly, sorry about that. But I'm not asking about the nighttime headlights or brights or any of that. Just if the DRL + bumper lights can be on simultaneously, which it appears they can when the running lights are on. That was the thing I was missing.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02-07-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

After all this I'm still a bit confused as to what the point of the bumper lights are with the LED's. Sure... you CAN turn them on but what are they for? The dots and halo are the DRL's and the main beams are the main beams. Why have the bumper lights at all? Are they just vestigial lights from the base 911's that didn't used to have the 4-dot DRL's?

Quick Reply: Noob Headlight Question