Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one?
991.1 GT3
62.31%
981 GT4
37.69%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

981 GT4 vs 991.1 GT3 => which one would you buy used and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Franzino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 981 GT4 vs 991.1 GT3 => which one would you buy used and why?

This year; I’m in the market for a used 991.1 GT3 or used 981 Cayman GT4...

Some backstory;
This GT3 / GT4 will do 7.000 - 8.000 miles a year with 50% track use (8 times a year) and 50% street use (free time). My daily car is a manual M2 and this car is staying (I love it as my daily car). I really use my M2 everyday in whatever weather possible and I also drive it on track sometimes. I have some other street and sport cars in the garage for the moment. But some cars get not a lot of usage and I’m going to sell them all to make room for something else. Instead I want a two car garage only, with two cars that get more regular use. Like I said; my M2 will stay as my daily car (no kids / no dogs ) the rest of the BMW’s are going on sale this spring….and the plan is to buy my first Porsche.

Why not order the new 991.2 GT3…? For me; it’s to expensive for a second car and you can make some nice deals in 2018 on the 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3. The budget I want to spend is the budget of a used 981 GT4 or a used 991.1 GT3…so no 991.1 GT3 RS….and I also skipped the older 997.2 GT3 3.8 from my list. So my shortlist is between the 981 GT4 or the 991.1 GT3 or if they launch a new 718 GT4 this year (but who knows this for sure?).

Yes; I know about the issue of the 3th gear with the GT4 and I know about the past troubles of the 991.1 GT3 engine (but there is the 10 year Porsche warranty now). One thing that is maybe good to know; I tend to keep my cars for a very long time and I love track driving (mostly Nurburgring). This car has to shine on track…because I also have my M2 for the street.

The GT4 engine is not that magical like the 991.1 GT3. Horsepower wise the GT4 is in the same league as my M2. Of course the GT4 has way more grip, better balance and higher track capabilities then my M2. The GT4 drives so nice with the manual gearbox. The gearing is a bit long and there is of course the 3th gear reliability issue to keep in mind. Most GT4’s and GT3’s (in Europe) are now out of warranty.

I don’t like automatic gearboxes (PDK, DCT, S-tronic, Ferrari F1, etc) in sport cars when street driving…but when going full power on a track, these gearboxes have a purpose! In this territory I have no problems with this type of dual clutch gearbox. So incomes the 991.1 GT3 with the PDK only gearbox. I have driven a 997.2 GT3 RS and a 991.1 GT3…the difference is big between both cars (I love them both). On track; I don’t really miss the manual gearbox… The engine of the 991.1 GT3 is way more magical then the 3.8 engine of the GT4. The GT3 performance and power is on another level then the GT4 and certainly then my M2. The difference between my M2 and the GT3 is bigger then between my M2 and the GT4. The 991.1 GT3 feels more like a supercar then a sports car. But that GT4 package with the manual gearbox and mid engine lay out is so very nice and so involving to drive (maybe even more so then the 991.1 GT3). In my country a used 981 GT4 is bit cheaper then a used 991.1 GT3….but the price difference between the two is not the main concern for me.

For the moment; I'm a bit stuck in choosing between the 981 GT4 vs 991.1 GT3...both have their pro's and con's...

Whatever my buying decision will be…I’m going to wait until the spring (after Geneva motorshow) when maybe the new 718 GT4 is already launched and also the 911.2 GT3 are more common by then. I'm in no hurry to buy and I believe this will result in even more price dropping for the used 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3..

So the questions;
- Which one would you choice and why (remember it’s not my daily car and I also have a manual M2)?
- In your opinion which one wil be the most fun/exiting to own over a long period of time and most fun on track?
- If I do want to sell it one day…If you have to guess; which one wil have lost the most money from this point? I’m guessing a used 991.1 GT3?
- You guys think there is a big difference in maintenance costs between a 981 GT4 and a 991.1 GT3? I know the older 997.2 GT3 has higher maintenance costs when tracking then the GT4...but how about the 991.1 GT3?

Thanks for the input :0
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Here goes,

1. I'd buy the GT3. More powerful engine, more efficient/faster PDK for the track, + 10yr/100K warranty and you already have the M2 for your manual DD fix

2. Highly subjective. I would say the GT4 would be more fun on the track (MT) but it will be slower than the GT3. More fun ownership over the long term, for you, I would say the GT3 as your manual M2 mimics much of what the GT4 feels like on the street.

3. I think the 991.1 GT3 will always sell for a slight premium over a GT4 (at least until the 10yr/ 100K warranty expires)

4. Maintenance costs should be negligible between the two.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

IMO I didn't have to read anything other than the subject title to vote for the 991.1 GT3 lol, I will take a 911 over a Cayman every day of the week and twice on Sundays....
Old 01-14-2018, 11:49 PM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As others say two totally different cars but the 991.1 GT3 is a total hooligans delight.

Awesome noises, tremendous response, and when it comes on the pipe and shifts at 9k you won't ever look back.

Even my wife thinks the lightweight sport buckets are enjoyable.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:27 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I had both at same time, and like you, have a history of owning and using BMW’s as DD’s.

No question: 991.1 GT3 more special and entertaIning to push hard, and far more of a weapon on track. Also, given that you already have and will keep driving the BMW M2 manual, the 991.1 GT3 with its PDK-S will offer you more variety. That is, a GT4 is more similar to an M2 than a 991.1 GT3 is to an M2.

991.1 GT3’s are also better value for money right now than GT4’s, IMO. Nice examples seem to be selling around $120K-$125K, which is $20K-$30K below MSRP. GT4s aren’t selling much if any below MSRP. And a GT3 is so much more.

If you weren’t going to track as much as you said you would, or if you didn’t already have a BMW M2 manual, then I’d say buy whichever one is more your speed and style. But given what you said, choice is obvious. GT3.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Franzino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lapis
I had both at same time, and like you, have a history of owning and using BMW’s as DD’s.

No question: 991.1 GT3 more special and entertaIning to push hard, and far more of a weapon on track. Also, given that you already have and will keep driving the BMW M2 manual, the 991.1 GT3 with its PDK-S will offer you more variety. That is, a GT4 is more similar to an M2 than a 991.1 GT3 is to an M2.

991.1 GT3’s are also better value for money right now than GT4’s, IMO. Nice examples seem to be selling around $120K-$125K, which is $20K-$30K below MSRP. GT4s aren’t selling much if any below MSRP. And a GT3 is so much more.

If you weren’t going to track as much as you said you would, or if you didn’t already have a BMW M2 manual, then I’d say buy whichever one is more your speed and style. But given what you said, choice is obvious. GT3.
Thanks for the input;

Good point about the pricing; but the 991.1 GT3 is older then the GT4 ofcourse... Indeed the price of a used GT3 is much lower then the new price and with the GT4 the price is a smaller difference comparing to when it was new

If I did not have M2 as my daily (but let's say a 330i touring with auto gearbox) then I would probably lean more towards a GT4...In this case a GT3 is indeed more of a difference an maybe more special when not driving the M2. If I'm honest I'm already fortunate I'm able to drive such a exciting car like the M2 everyday....so the second car has to be more special then when driving a Prius everyday

What is you opinion about the difference in maintenance costs between the 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:46 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

from a current owner of a manual M2 and previous multiple M cars , and having owned .1 GT3 and a 981 spyder, and driven GT4 multiple times : the answer is easy : Gt3 . The engine alone makes a big difference and even for street use I felt that GT4 is a little bit too tense as compared to GT3 , mostly because of smaller interior.
I don't track my own cars so I can'y help you there
good luck
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I've owned GT4, 991.1 GT3 and a DCT M2. I'm a heavy track guy - member at AMP and go twice a month or more.

Answering your questions:
So the questions;
- Which one would you choice and why (remember it’s not my daily car and I also have a manual M2)? - Without hesitation I'd choose the GT3.
- In your opinion which one wil be the most fun/exiting to own over a long period of time and most fun on track? - GT3 is better on every dimension than the GT4 as a track car - it's faster, has a much more exotic engine, the PDKS is sublime, it will take most any set-up you want.
- If I do want to sell it one day…If you have to guess; which one wil have lost the most money from this point? I’m guessing a used 991.1 GT3? - Totally depends on how you get in and out of it. I don't think it will be all that different one to the other. Best case you probably lose like 10% and worst case maybe 20%. Either way it's a ton of fun for the money.
- You guys think there is a big difference in maintenance costs between a 981 GT4 and a 991.1 GT3? I know the older 997.2 GT3 has higher maintenance costs when tracking then the GT4...but how about the 991.1 GT3? - "Big" is a relative term. The GT3 will be more expensive to run. The rubber is more expensive, I can't recall exactly but I think the rotors and pads are more and you have the cost of the hub maintenance at 6K track miles.

Side comment - the center locks are annoying.

Last - if you decide to go with the GT3 send me a PM and I can forward you some helpful maintenance stuff. I have a care guide for the CLs, a summary level service manual, etc. (Also I have the big torque wrench that you'll need if you want it for half price )
Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Franzino

Thanks for the input;

Good point about the pricing; but the 991.1 GT3 is older then the GT4 ofcourse... Indeed the price of a used GT3 is much lower then the new price and with the GT4 the price is a smaller difference comparing to when it was new

If I did not have M2 as my daily (but let's say a 330i touring with auto gearbox) then I would probably lean more towards a GT4...In this case a GT3 is indeed more of a difference an maybe more special when not driving the M2. If I'm honest I'm already fortunate I'm able to drive such a exciting car like the M2 everyday....so the second car has to be more special then when driving a Prius everyday

What is you opinion about the difference in maintenance costs between the 981 GT4 and 991.1 GT3?
maintenance costs aren’t really different. 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 have identical brakes. That is, the GT4 literally has the same iron brakes or PCCB brakes as the GT3. So their costs to maintain are same. Perhaps one could argue the GT4 would wear brakes less because it’s slightly lighter weight?

The standard tires are also same on both except for slight width difference so the cost difference is neglible. Wear should be similar and depend more on driving style than car. GT3 has center locks while GT4 has standard lugs, so some tire shops that may charge less to install tires may not be able to work on GT3. Big deal.

Oil is same.

Assuming warranties on both cars in effect (yes, get Porsche Certified used car warranty), then there is no difference there, unless GT3 you Buy is a mode year or two older than the GT4 you buy. But even then, you may not own either out of warranty depending on how long you keep, and GT3 now has 10yr engine warranty.

Other than above only difference in maintenance costs would have more to do with chance differences between individual cars not models, and things like option equipment on one car that the other may not have.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Franzino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tstafford
I've owned GT4, 991.1 GT3 and a DCT M2. I'm a heavy track guy - member at AMP and go twice a month or more.

Answering your questions:
So the questions;
- Which one would you choice and why (remember it’s not my daily car and I also have a manual M2)? - Without hesitation I'd choose the GT3.
- In your opinion which one wil be the most fun/exiting to own over a long period of time and most fun on track? - GT3 is better on every dimension than the GT4 as a track car - it's faster, has a much more exotic engine, the PDKS is sublime, it will take most any set-up you want.
- If I do want to sell it one day…If you have to guess; which one wil have lost the most money from this point? I’m guessing a used 991.1 GT3? - Totally depends on how you get in and out of it. I don't think it will be all that different one to the other. Best case you probably lose like 10% and worst case maybe 20%. Either way it's a ton of fun for the money.
- You guys think there is a big difference in maintenance costs between a 981 GT4 and a 991.1 GT3? I know the older 997.2 GT3 has higher maintenance costs when tracking then the GT4...but how about the 991.1 GT3? - "Big" is a relative term. The GT3 will be more expensive to run. The rubber is more expensive, I can't recall exactly but I think the rotors and pads are more and you have the cost of the hub maintenance at 6K track miles.

Side comment - the center locks are annoying.

Last - if you decide to go with the GT3 send me a PM and I can forward you some helpful maintenance stuff. I have a care guide for the CLs, a summary level service manual, etc. (Also I have the big torque wrench that you'll need if you want it for half price )
I love trackdriving (90 % Nurburgring / 10% Spa) and I try to go once a month (in the dry months). I'm doing this for a couple years now; so I can call myself a rather experienced Ringdriver. In reality this means around +/- 8 trackdays a year. My main track car for the moment is a modified Z4M...my other trackbuddy's drive a Porsche GT4 / 997 GT3RS / 2x modified Z4M / e46 M3. But I know nobody in person who has a 991.1 GT3 or a PDK equipped Porsche. I'm very happy this forum is realy friendly and helpful

Price wise; on a yearly basis the GT3 will indeed cost more in terms of insurance and taxes...but I was talking more about maintenance costs like tyres, pads, oil changes, service intervals, etc.. In time I would probably fit Pagid RS-29 or Endless ME-20 pads when they need changing (I have them on other cars that see track time). The CUP2 tyres on the GT3 are a bit wider that is true, but the price difference between those on the GT4 are not that big of a difference (from what I found online). I'm aware that the center lock wheel are bit of a pain and that I need to buy some extra tools, my buddy with the 997.2 GT3 RS already told me. But he did not tell me about the hub maintenance at 6K track miles. What does this mean exactly and what price are we talking about? Completely new hubs every 6K? Or just a visual check after every 6K miles driven on a track? This would mean once every 2 year in my case.

Thanks already for the the suggestion of the guides...if I do decide to buy a 991.1 GT3. It will definitely be helpful to have some extra documentation (I change brake pads and rotors myself on all my cars). The big torque wrench I could buy from a buddy of mine who has good connections with the brand Snap On Europe. By the way did you sell your GT3, because you are selling the wrench? What did you get instead?

Last edited by Franzino; 01-15-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

GT3 - all day. GT4 is great, no doubt, it's really a no lose situation.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I would pick a GT4.

1. Because manual
2. I think it is a better looking car than the .1 GT3. If I had garage space I would keep it too.
3. Great fun on the street and track. I find pdk cars boring on the street. I would say get the Gt3 if it was 80 percent track.
4. The GT4 will hold its value better. Less made and first GT4. Also .1 cars have been less desirable then their .2 counterparts. I don’t think there will be that much desirability for the .1 in the future as the .2 has improved on it in every way.

I had the chance to spec a 2016 991.1 GT3 but chose to keep my GT4 instead and wait for a 991.2 with a manual.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Both great cars so really there is no “wrong” decision. But for me the GT3 is the way to go. Total track weapon, and long engine warranty ensures you can enjoy it there for a very long time without engine concerns. It is a proper 911. But the GT4 is also extremely capable on track, and i like it a lot. Beautiful car. No wrong answer. Both are fabulous!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Franzino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
GT3 - all day. GT4 is great, no doubt, it's really a no lose situation.
Whatever car it will be between those two. If I don't blow up an engine then indeed it is a no lose situation...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Franzino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drdonger
I would pick a GT4.

1. Because manual
2. I think it is a better looking car than the .1 GT3. If I had garage space I would keep it too.
3. Great fun on the street and track. I find pdk cars boring on the street. I would say get the Gt3 if it was 80 percent track.
4. The GT4 will hold its value better. Less made and first GT4. Also .1 cars have been less desirable then their .2 counterparts. I don’t think there will be that much desirability for the .1 in the future as the .2 has improved on it in every way.

I had the chance to spec a 2016 991.1 GT3 but chose to keep my GT4 instead and wait for a 991.2 with a manual.
1. I like manuals also (more involving)... I have owned manual BMW's all my live.
2. Both look great for me. Difficult to say which one looks better. But; I think the 991.1 GT3 looks better then the 991.2.
3. I also find PDK cars very boring on the street...but for the street I have my manual M2. On track or open mountain roads it must be where the GT3/GT4 has to shine for me. On normal European roads I can not enjoy cars with this kind of performance without going to jail.
4. I would also think that the GT4 will holds it's value better on the long run. From this time on there is indeed lesser love for the 991.1 GT3. It has a bad reputation because of the engine trouble at the launch, but you can buy them now for nice prices (and there is the 10 year engine warranty). For example; I found a lovely Porsche Approved clubsport GT3 from 2015 for $43.000 less then when it was new. They will drop a little further in time, but the biggest los is for people who bought a 991.1 GT3 new and want to sell them on a later time...then yes indeed they will have to lower their price in the future and feel a bigger lose. But; if I love the car and keep it running, using and it becomes not illegal to have a car like this on the road (environmental laws) then I see me keeping this car forever in my garage. That is somewhat the plan when buying this car... I want to buy a keeper...but time will tell if it is the case.

Quick Reply: 981 GT4 vs 991.1 GT3 => which one would you buy used and why?