Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How did you break in your new GT or intend too ?
Did nothing different for Brakes or Engine
16.67%
Few stabs on the brakes and moderate care with Engine
20.83%
Few stabs on brakes but was very religious with Engine
20.83%
Serious Brake method but didn't worry about Engine
0%
Serious Brake method and moderate care with engine
16.67%
Religiously followed a detailed Brake and Engine procedure
25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Updated PCCB and Engine Break In Procedures

Old 01-14-2018, 02:08 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Updated PCCB and Engine Break In Procedures

Now that there are quite a few new gen 2 owners/drivers, anyone have recent experience and an informed view on what would be the appropriate break in for PCCBs on this generation along with an opinion on the break in for the new engine matched with manual. Ive only ever had steel breaks, but have PCCB coming on this one shortly. So did a bit of research and couldn't see an updated consensus procedure or more often the topic goes off topic and gets confused. I live in a warm climate year round so don't have the below freezing temps for part of the year if that helps. At the moment, Im leaning towards the following:

- PCCB , go with method detailed here ? ( https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...racking-2.html ).. PS with PCCB, has anyone been able to successfully achieve minimal or nil brake squeal ?

- Engine, Anyone NOT follow the recommendation to keep under 4200 rpm for the first 1000.. etc etc.. Im leaning towards (a) no lugging (b) no constant holding of revs and (c) not being so critical of the upper limit, i.e. do rev up to 8/9 from time to time...
Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Oh geez, here we go again.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

^^ I was interested an updated perspective on a genuine basis. Every thread i looked up had opinion but not as much concrete on what someone did and the result they got, so difficult to get a clear read from experienced owners. Hence the poll of what people actually did as opposed to just opinion. And further if the world had changed in last few years... But your right lets go back and talk about coloured stitching and what the value may be of something 90% of readers on here will never own.

But given you have posted 6,627 times in two and half years, clearly every post you put up was full of constructive information which benefited the development of mankind..

Last edited by Oldmxnut; 01-14-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Lotta words to say nothing. Just like this thread will be if it's anything like the last dozen on this topic.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 AM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Don't have a GT3 yet. Secured an allocation for a nov build recently though. I plan to follow the break in period P recommends for the engine as best I can but more importantly I will do what I always do. Make sure to get the engine up to temp before going over 4k rpm and do a proper cool down after I push her hard. I think this approach is more helpful for long term engine performance than idling along at 4k rpm in the first 2k. YMMV.

Never had PCCBs either. I'm not too concerned with breaking those in. Iron - I would bed them as I did with my GTS. Get em hot, brake hard, repeat.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Last time around (997) I consciously bedded the steels and didn't stress about the 3.8 . This time Im thinking I'm more concerned about PCCB (due to cost to replace and squealing) and engine (given the issues on the gen 1) .
Old 01-14-2018, 11:51 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Last time around (997) I consciously bedded the steels and didn't stress about the 3.8 . This time Im thinking I'm more concerned about PCCB (due to cost to replace and squealing) and engine (given the issues on the gen 1) .
You shouldn't buy this car at first place. Save yourself concerns.
I will take mine to racetrack as soon as possible and won't give a rant about consumables.
There is no evidence that cars driven hard with minimal break-in had engine issues and plenty of cases where ***** driving actually hurt engines.

Good advice on how to avoid squealing is to treat breaks like a *****. You need to transfer pad into the rotor which only happens when you heat them well (DRIVING HARD).
Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM
dog bucks
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Lotta words to say nothing. Just like this thread will be if it's anything like the last dozen on this topic.
Can not fathom your intent here. Are there some Forum Guidelines somewhere that qualify the nature of each thread.... or require a thorough review of all previous threads before posting? Even if a topic has been kicked around previously, that certainly should not limit the participation from a new inquiry.... fresh perspective or not.
Proof of the thread quality lies in the interest generated as evidenced by reads and responses.
For the most part all here are fans on the Brand and seek information and some community. I'm not the authority here but think your posts do generally provide good content with a side of humor..... maybe push the sarcasm key when appropriate?
Nobody is here to spoil your party so maybe let the others play if they choose. If you can't say something nice........
Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I really think you are over thinking it. Just take it easy for a few tanks and then let it rip.. I have never done a break in on any of my cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updated PCCB and Engine Break In Procedures