Header install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 03:27 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Header install question

Quick question for the DIY guys:

Considering changing my headers. I've done mods myself but never headers. Can I get away with using something like Race Ramps for 7" of clearance or will I need a proper lift? Also, is it possible to do it with wheels on or do you need them off for proper working room?

Did a search but didn't find much definitive. I did find some videos that make it appear possible to do this with wheels on and minor clearance but wanted a better consensus.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:17 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Ramps with 7" clearance is fine. I have done all my GT3 exhaust changes without removing the bumper.

I have a set of Akrapovic headers and the installation manual is the best I have found, it is available on their site.

If installing Dundon Catted headers, wheels must be removed, to be able to tighten the O2 sensors, but all other headers don't need wheels removal.

The Akrapovic manual has the tightening torque for all the bolts and a tools list too.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:20 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Originally Posted by A/S
\

If installing Dundon Catted headers, wheels must be removed, to be able to tighten the O2 sensors, but all other headers don't need wheels removal.
Would this apply to all catted headers?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:20 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

what headers are you installing, then it will be easier to help.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:37 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougr743
what headers are you installing, then it will be easier to help.
Leaning towards GMG EVO LT (catted) right now.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Dang, gotta take the wheels off for Dundon? Good to know, thanks. I’m totally dreading my 1st centerlock encounter. I’ve got all the Dundon intake and exhaust parts sitting in my garage for months. Procrastination’s a B**ch

Originally Posted by A/S
Ramps with 7" clearance is fine. I have done all my GT3 exhaust changes without removing the bumper.

I have a set of Akrapovic headers and the installation manual is the best I have found, it is available on their site.

The Akrapovic manual has the tightening torque for all the bolts and a tools list too.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
they retain the factory side mufflers, very OEM replacement like, so the cats bolt to the side muffler, no wheel removal needed, prob very simple and fast. you tube it
Old 02-21-2020, 01:58 AM
Jerrym
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
im also considering these...
Old 02-21-2020, 12:03 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Wheel removal is not necessary for installation of the headers. This was done on the lift at my house so I had a lot more clearance than 7" ramps but I don't see a reason why you would need to remove the wheels to tighten the O2 sensors on the Dundon street headers. The O2 sensors can be installed and tightened from below and are located towards the bumper not the wheels.

Images below to show the wheels were on the car during the install of Dundon Street Headers.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:36 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Five
Dang, gotta take the wheels off for Dundon? Good to know, thanks. I’m totally dreading my 1st centerlock encounter. I’ve got all the Dundon intake and exhaust parts sitting in my garage for months. Procrastination’s a B**ch
No wheel removal necessary. I removed the bumper and side heat shields - easy to do. Made it easier for me and less prone to mistakes or wrestling with things. Make sure you properly torque bolts in a pattern that evenly pulls the headers onto the head gaskets. Also make sure you lube the nuts on rear muffler before removal (wd40 is fine). They are prone to stripping. My only advice is to take your time and do it methodically and carefully. Great time to do the plugs while in there as well assuming you have some miles. I think torque on the plugs is 22lbs if new and 19lbs if reinstalling existing.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:06 AM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks everyone, I will do the plugs while I’m in there. Did anyone do the Dundon plenum / TB install themselves? I’m wondering how exact you were with and where did you find torque specs, especially for the engine bolts?
Old 02-23-2020, 02:32 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Five
Thanks everyone, I will do the plugs while I’m in there. Did anyone do the Dundon plenum / TB install themselves? I’m wondering how exact you were with and where did you find torque specs, especially for the engine bolts?
I had the plenumbdone by a perfectionist. I did the headers using all factory torque specs. It’s a precision machine and should be maintained that way.

Quick Reply: Header install question