991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs Standard system

Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I got the Sound Package Plus system in my car for the few times that I'm parked or driving around at low speeds. The problem is that at freeway speeds the ambient noise in the car is so high that listening to music is almost pointless unless I'm willing to blast the stereo at levels that are uncomfortable to me or my passenger, and even then it's not like I can appreciate any nuance to the music that a better stereo can provide. On the road, if I listen at all, I usually choose NPR where fidelity isn't all that important.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I got the Bose system in my car for the few times that I'm parked or driving around at low speeds. The problem is that at freeway speeds the ambient noise in the car is so high that listening to music is almost pointless unless I'm willing to blast the stereo at levels that are uncomfortable to me or my passenger, .
I think this is a very good summary. I would not of checked the Bose box but it was not my build. But, now that I have it; I think it sounds pretty good and would now check that box. But, as stated above, it is nice when just cruising around town ect but once you get on her it really does not matter how good your stereo is because you will not be able to appreciate it
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM
kblask
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Sound Package Plus in my 991.1 GT3 is just BARELY acceptable. Messing with the EQ to boost the low and high end helps a bit, but there's still a certain warmth lacking, and it feels as though the system is working at near capacity to produce scarcely acceptable fidelity. I had the Bose system in my 981 Cayman S, and while too bass-heavy from the factory, once some of the bass was dialed out with the EQ, it sounded brilliant. There's also some noticeable rattling in the door panels with the SPP that I never experienced with the Bose in the Cayman. Looking at potentially going aftermarket for the GT3.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

For real exhaust noise, I just got one of these for my office. Very very good stand alone unit.
https://www.porsche-design.com/en/Me...-Soundbar.html

Ps I ticked Bose as for a touring I think fits the overall persona of the vehicle better. (touring, cruises, sunday drives, relaxing or spirited music to go along with it etc) Didn't test, did check a few of the threads on the topic on here and asked the question but otherwise thats why I went Bose.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
For real exhaust noise, I just got one of these for my office. Very very good stand alone unit.
https://www.porsche-design.com/en/Me...-Soundbar.html

Ps I ticked Bose as for a touring I think fits the overall persona of the vehicle better. (touring, cruises, sunday drives, relaxing or spirited music to go along with it etc) Didn't test, did check a few of the threads on the topic on here and asked the question but otherwise thats why I went Bose.
Damn, that’s cool. I want.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I got the Sound Package Plus system in my car for the few times that I'm parked or driving around at low speeds. The problem is that at freeway speeds the ambient noise in the car is so high that listening to music is almost pointless unless I'm willing to blast the stereo at levels that are uncomfortable to me or my passenger, and even then it's not like I can appreciate any nuance to the music that a better stereo can provide.
Motorhead doesn't need any nuance.

Seriously, I listen to my music really loud and it's mostly metal, so I find the road noise issue not such a big deal in my Porsches. My radio's either off or cranking. I find that keeps those pesky passenger things away as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Motorhead doesn't need any nuance.

Seriously, I listen to my music really loud and it's mostly metal, so I find the road noise issue not such a big deal in my Porsches. My radio's either off or cranking. I find that keeps those pesky passenger things away as well.
So when I pull up to a stoplight, can hear the thump-thump, and can see the windows vibrating on the car next to me, it might be you!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

So when I pull up to a stoplight, can hear the thump-thump, and can see the windows vibrating on the car next to me, it might be you!
I said Motörhead, not Ludacris. 🙂
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the Bose in my last 2 or 3 cars and I have the base system in this car. With all the wonderful mechanical sounds this car makes I really cant tell the difference
in sound quality, probably because of the level of the ambient noise with in the car. But over all I am pleased with the radio but I must admit I am not a audiophile by any stretch.
But really the symphony is outside in the engine bay!!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I enjoy music while driving. Yes an aftermarket would sound much better then either stock options but those days were 20 plus years ago. So for me it's Bose. It's part of the must have list. Pccb, leather, buckets, Bose, and manual.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,711 Likes on 4,752 Posts

So funny discussing Bose versus standard sound system in the GT3.

Sort of like arguing whether a supermodel with long hair is prettier, or one with shorter hair is more attractive.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM
kblask
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Sort of like arguing whether a supermodel with long hair is prettier, or one with shorter hair is more attractive.
You're right, and it's an easy answer. Don't settle for a supermodel with short hair, and don't settle for a 6-figure car with subpar audio
Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Who cares about the hair?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Compare the bose in a Porsche 991 to the factory stereo in Kia. Kia wins . Lol
Old 01-19-2018, 05:48 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

All else being equal there's really no argument then. Go with the Bose and the long hair.

https://heartiste.wordpress.com/2014...o-male-desire/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose vs Standard system