Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs Standard system

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

My build has locked, and if I could change one thing it would be to drop Bose, assuming reports of the stock system improve on the 991.1’s Sound Plus. On the other hand, I’ve heard that Bose improved its package over previous Gen. It’s unfortunate we don’t have more objective information about the audio by whic to compare. In any event, for $1,600, it’s not painful.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My .1 GT3 had the upgraded sound. It was terrible. My cayenne turbo s has burmeister and it sounds fantastic. I ordered my .2 with Bose option. I feel it was a waste of money. If I were doing it again I'd not option Bose and I would not have optioned comfort lighting.

The sound is okay... It's typical Bose. However - at 75+ on the highway cabin noise drowns out the audio. Honestly just a waste of time. I would rather have saved the money and spent it on other options.

- Chris.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:57 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
My build has locked, and if I could change one thing it would be to drop Bose, assuming reports of the stock system improve on the 991.1’s Sound Plus. On the other hand, I’ve heard that Bose improved its package over previous Gen. It’s unfortunate we don’t have more objective information about the audio by whic to compare. In any event, for $1,600, it’s not painful.

your are right not a ton of money but neither are any of the goodies I’m sacrificing. They add up QUiCKLY though in total. What I gave up bought me the pccb’s.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
I would rather have saved the money and spent it on other options.
If I had to trade off other options for Bose, I'm not sure it would have made the cut. Not because it's worth it or not worth it. As mentioned... I've got no experience on the matter and chose it just for fear of regret. I just didn't leave anything else out in order to get it.

If that's the case... maybe just ask what people would prefer. Bose, or some other thing you're considering, if they can only have one or the other.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
If I had to trade off other options for Bose, I'm not sure it would have made the cut. Not because it's worth it or not worth it. As mentioned... I've got no experience on the matter and chose it just for fear of regret. I just didn't leave anything else out in order to get it.

If that's the case... maybe just ask what people would prefer. Bose, or some other thing you're considering, if they can only have one or the other.
I did the same frankly. I added it out of fear of not having it. I’ve had my car since around Thanksgiving. I can say with 100% certainty now that I would have rather added other options over the cost of Bose. Specifically I was on the fence about extended dash leather. I wish I had added that option instead.

- Chris.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

At the end of the day it's 1% of the cost of the car in order to add an okay sound system over one that on paper would be embarassing in a new VW Golf.

I ended up adding every option I wanted, even the ones I didn't really want to pay for and haven't had a single regret since the order locked.

Will the Bose sound incredible? Nah. ...but it will definitely sound better than the joke of a stock system.

Will it add a little bit of weight? Ya ....but I'm not going to pretend I'm driving a factory Cup car without a full cage.

Buy once - cry once.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:10 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I did the same frankly. I added it out of fear of not having it. I’ve had my car since around Thanksgiving. I can say with 100% certainty now that I would have rather added other options over the cost of Bose. Specifically I was on the fence about extended dash leather. I wish I had added that option instead.

- Chris.
The correct long-term answer is almost always -"get both"
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SharkWerks on my .1 and now on my .2 and I’m a very senior citizen. WHAT RADIO?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All these options we check off add up to a lot of dollars. I opted for the standard radio, thereby saving $1600. Let's not forget this is a sports car not a luxury touring car. Say no to Bose option.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by destaccado
The correct long-term answer is almost always -"get both"
In retrospect - probably true.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

In retrospect - probably true.
My intent is to keep the car for the long haul BUT I always want to buy it right so I can sell it right if I want to. You never know if the next GT3 is a 4.5 Litre mind blower. A lot of these options are sunk costs and you won’t get them back. The cars sell in a range regardless of leather options, LEDs Bose etc. So $185k was my target for those reasons. It’s not an investment but I don’t like to get killed on any asset.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've had both and it's a tough call IMO. With a good source, the base system is okay, though it lacks depth without the sub. The BOSE definitely sounds better, but whether it's worth the price of the option is questionable. If the base system would have allowed me to avoid the wart, I would have gone with that. But it doesn't in the US, so I went BOSE.
You nailed it. The stock system has noticeably different sound depending the source. When I stream from my iPhone, it sounds the best. I have a Macan loaner right now with Bose, and it doesn't sound any better than the stock system in my GT3, but that may just be different cars.

Last edited by Chris88; 01-15-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

IMO it just depends on if you think you will enjoy listening to music in your GT3 or not in this specific instance and how integral it is to you.

For me music is a big part of why I enjoy driving so much whether in a Porsche, a Tesla, or Highlander, so I had to have it, it was one of my top "must-haves." Since my "must-haves" started to add up inevitably (LEDs, Bose, PCCB, FAL), options I was on the fence about I nixed (leather interior, light design package, illuminated sills, etc..) and that got me to a number I was comfortable with spending

At the end of the day though I would fall back on the rule that its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it like others have said..
Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
You nailed it. The stock system has noticeably different sound depending the source. When I stream from my iPhone, it sounds best. I have Macan loaner right now with Bose, and it doesn't sound any better than the stock system in my GT3, but that may just be different cars.
Was that loaner macan 2017+? The bose on the 2017+ sounds decent. I skipped the bose on my incoming GT3. As long as it's comparable to the CDR + on the GT4 it's fine. With this type of car $1600 is too excessive especially if the car is loud.

NVH can ruin the best sound systems and I noticed this first hand with aftermarket exhaust ruining the sound system. This is the kind of stuff no one really talks about. Noise interference.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,736 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
At the end of the day though I would fall back on the rule that its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it like others have said..
+1

Quick Reply: Bose vs Standard system