Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated

Old 01-12-2018, 10:45 AM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated

Hello all. I've been a lurker in this forum for some time living vicariously through many of you but with the thought that I would not have an opportunity to own a machine as miraculous as the GT3. And then I got the call a few days ago, quite unexpectedly. I love my 991.2 C4 GTS, but how can I say 'no' to a 991.2 GT3 slot? With that, I need to determine the appropriate configuration for my vehicle in very short order. I've learned a lot by reading many threads here but I would definitely very much appreciate any input, comments and suggestions on my build.

Key features and decision struggles so far:
  • Manual (I have PDK in my GTS - recognize it's not the same as GT3 PDK-S - and I crave more driver involvement)
  • GT Silver (I know, boring but timeless; I wish I could pull off GR or MB. My family is very conservative as well preferring silver or white)
  • Satin Aluminum wheels (this one is very difficult for me - I don't know if they're actually brighter or more muted than the standard wheels and how one colour would fare vs the other in conjunction with GT Silver)
  • 18-way seats (I have a recurring sciatic issue with my back unfortunately and as much as I want the LWB, I worry about seating problems with my back)
  • PCCB (I've been back and forth on this - I will likely track very infrequently. If there was ever a car I'd get PCCBs in, this is it. I'd like the advantages of exceptional braking, less brake dust but I recognize that there's likely to be some squeaking and I actually prefer red to yellow, especially for my build).
For those more interested in my exact configuration, please see the Porsche Code PJBEJJF6 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBEJJF6. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

A couple of comments.

If you have a sciatic problem, I would advise getting the 4 ways instead of the 18 ways. I also have small sciatic issue and within 1hr, I get a lot of pain through my right hip/leg in both my GTS and my GT3.1. Recently drove a 4-way and....no problem. 4-Way seems to have more padding under the critical contact point of hip and leg. I think somebody recently said that the electric motors under the 18ways provided less room for padding. Plus in the 4 Ways you sit a bit lower which also helps.

For my GT3.2 I went with full buckets and do not experience any pain after 6hrs driving. So ironically, the 18way seats that are supposed to be the most comfortable are, at least for me, the most uncomfortable.

For the brakes, do not buy PCCB's on the basis of "the advantages of exceptional braking" because you simply don't get it under normal or even pretty extreme driving compared to the standard iron brake. Indeed, in an emergency situation on cold brakes, Iron barkes will stop shorter very time compared to PCCB that need heat to perform. I have argued for a long time that the only argument for PCCB is clean wheels.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

For the tranny choice, think of the environment you would be using the car. If there are a lot of back roads or highways, city traffic, or tracks... then think of how involved you want to be. Also, if someone in your family wants to drive and doesn't drive stick then maybe factor that in.

GT Silver is a fantastic color. Of course it is a bit more common and will blend in more compared to GR or MB, but more attention can also become a headache. I started with GT Silver for my first choice, then went to GR, and now I am 50/50 on GR or MB... it's a tough choice.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's silver wheels on GT Silver. After 5 spinal ops, I still find the LWB the best seats - you need the extra support. PCCB lower unsprung weight but this car canyon slams and does not go to the track. Another 7 kg saved with no lifts. Grey stripes.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 01-12-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

^ Great pic.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

The ROW car is also GT Silver and has Platinum wheels to hide the dirt from red brakes as this car goes to the track. LWB. Both cars have PDK. And smoker kit . With the red stripe, red stitching is Mandatory!! for Aus/NZ orders.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 01-12-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have argued for a long time that the only argument for PCCB is clean wheels.
And less unsprung weight.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto
Hello all. I've been a lurker in this forum for some time living vicariously through many of you but with the thought that I would not have an opportunity to own a machine as miraculous as the GT3. And then I got the call a few days ago, quite unexpectedly. I love my 991.2 C4 GTS, but how can I say 'no' to a 991.2 GT3 slot? With that, I need to determine the appropriate configuration for my vehicle in very short order. I've learned a lot by reading many threads here but I would definitely very much appreciate any input, comments and suggestions on my build.

Key features and decision struggles so far:
  • Manual (I have PDK in my GTS - recognize it's not the same as GT3 PDK-S - and I crave more driver involvement)
  • GT Silver (I know, boring but timeless; I wish I could pull off GR or MB. My family is very conservative as well preferring silver or white)
  • Satin Aluminum wheels (this one is very difficult for me - I don't know if they're actually brighter or more muted than the standard wheels and how one colour would fare vs the other in conjunction with GT Silver)
  • 18-way seats (I have a recurring sciatic issue with my back unfortunately and as much as I want the LWB, I worry about seating problems with my back)
  • PCCB (I've been back and forth on this - I will likely track very infrequently. If there was ever a car I'd get PCCBs in, this is it. I'd like the advantages of exceptional braking, less brake dust but I recognize that there's likely to be some squeaking and I actually prefer red to yellow, especially for my build).
For those more interested in my exact configuration, please see the Porsche Code PJBEJJF6 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBEJJF6. Thanks!

Manual
Can't go wrong with GT Silver
I would go with black or regular wheels on a GT silver car. Satin Aluminum won't give as much contrast. The standard wheels look way better in the two pictured above. Satin makes it too luxury car looking.
4 ways will have more padding as Chris said above.
If you rarely track then I would get PCCB's. Cool factor, weight savings, size and no brake dust are awesome.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

U want a 6 speed, get one. LWB are a must, u need to try them out at your dealer. I love PCCB as optioning it will be half the price from purchasing from the parts department, do it now. As far as any silver/gray it's in my opinion very boring, but if it excites you then it's your car, so go with the color you want most. Lastly, did you pay a dealer ADM or was it a straight MSRP deal ? Also any trade in vehicle and was the final offer fair. Good luck
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM
DrKid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also been lurking and gleaning great information over the past year, new to the GT3 world....
Hope I can add some helpful insight from my admittedly very modest experience with the seats -
Your build looks awesome - As others have said GT Silver is "safe" but beautiful color - nice touches with the contrast stitching

On the seats - I have visited the dealer on multiple occasions to specifically sit in all 3 -
I have opted to go with 4 ways - they are the most comfortable to me - and I can agree that the seats feel like the have more padding in the right places vs the 18 ways.
The LWB were the next most comfortable to me while actually sitting in them- I don't plan to track the car much if at all - (opting for a touring) and therefore don't need the extra support or the ability for a racing harness - In addition there is a bit of a "flop" into the seat when getting in - I'm sure with practice you could get more graceful than I was but I can see it being even more of a spouse issue - my wife will not only be the most frequent passenger but also will be a driver - despite the weight savings and admittedly "cool factor" appearance of the LWB they would not be my first choice.

The LWB do offer plenty of support - but much less padding - it just depends on what your back will need over the miles and miles of driving to be comfortable.

The 18 ways were an odd one - each time I went in I was expecting to find them more and more comfortable - however with all the various adjustments I could not find the perfect place to match the instant comfort of the 4 ways.

Anyway - my two cents from some admittedly short seat time in each one - best advice would be to go try them out if you haven't - and before you finalize try to spend as long of stretch as possible so you are confident in your choice
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

You need to decide for yourself. That's the only correct answer.
Asking here will get you all sorts of answers that are all over the place.
You hit three 'hot' topics in one question - transmission choice, brakes, and seats. People love to debate those choices for pages and pages.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
You need to decide for yourself. That's the only correct answer.
Asking here will get you all sorts of answers that are all over the place.
You hit three 'hot' topics in one question - transmission choice, brakes, and seats. People love to debate those choices for pages and pages.
Absolutely true!
Each of us have vastly differing criteria that we use in trying to qualify our choices with.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by watt

Here's silver wheels on GT Silver. After 5 spinal ops, I still find the LWB the best seats - you need the extra support. PCCB lower unsprung weight but this car canyon slams and does not go to the track. Another 7 kg saved with no lifts. Grey stripes.
Awesome picture and scenery, very very close to my incoming spec I don't think my dog would like to be in the car with me though for a spirited drive...
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris3963
A couple of comments.

If you have a sciatic problem, I would advise getting the 4 ways instead of the 18 ways. I also have small sciatic issue and within 1hr, I get a lot of pain through my right hip/leg in both my GTS and my GT3.1. Recently drove a 4-way and....no problem. 4-Way seems to have more padding under the critical contact point of hip and leg. I think somebody recently said that the electric motors under the 18ways provided less room for padding. Plus in the 4 Ways you sit a bit lower which also helps.

For my GT3.2 I went with full buckets and do not experience any pain after 6hrs driving. So ironically, the 18way seats that are supposed to be the most comfortable are, at least for me, the most uncomfortable.

For the brakes, do not buy PCCB's on the basis of "the advantages of exceptional braking" because you simply don't get it under normal or even pretty extreme driving compared to the standard iron brake. Indeed, in an emergency situation on cold brakes, Iron barkes will stop shorter very time compared to PCCB that need heat to perform. I have argued for a long time that the only argument for PCCB is clean wheels.
It's really helpful to hear these experiences. I've been absolutely fine for long drives in my current GTS which has the 18- way. I think a large part of it is the inflatable lumbar support which I can set at the exact amount that works for me. If the buckets had lumbar, I think I'd be fine. The problem is that I don't have the ability to test drive a car with buckets to know that they'll be fine for my specific condition. Although I'll take your advice and see if I can find a 4 way that I can test drive - maybe it'll suit me better than my current 18s. Irrespective getting old(er) stinks - except that I now have enough $ to actually afford a GT3
Old 01-12-2018, 05:46 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
For the tranny choice, think of the environment you would be using the car. If there are a lot of back roads or highways, city traffic, or tracks... then think of how involved you want to be. Also, if someone in your family wants to drive and doesn't drive stick then maybe factor that in.

GT Silver is a fantastic color. Of course it is a bit more common and will blend in more compared to GR or MB, but more attention can also become a headache. I started with GT Silver for my first choice, then went to GR, and now I am 50/50 on GR or MB... it's a tough choice.
Funny thing you mention family members that may want to drive. I specifically got PDK for my wife and my older daughter (19yrs) to enjoy the 991.2 GTS. They like it but won't drive it due to the 'intimidation factor' - not sure I fully understand that one. On the other hand, my younger daughter (17yrs) who is learning to drive has driven the GTS a few times and is looking forward to driving the GT3 manual when it arrives. She's been learning how to drive stick on my Miata.

In terms of colour, I think GT Silver will help reduce the attention the car draws, especially considering that my car will not be a Touring. I really wanted the Touring by the way but alas it's not in the cards for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated