Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
PCCB yes. Seats? I have major back and hip issues and the LWBs are the best for me. The only Porsche seats that leave me pain free after multiple hours in the drivers seat.
Funny you say that. I have a pinched nerve and early arthritis in my lower back. My Macan and Cayenne were more comfortable than my LWBs for SHORT drives. Not that the LWBs aren't comfortable, but the other seats are clearly more cushy. However, for longer drives (2+ hours), I felt less aches and pain in the LWBs. I think part of this was self-induced. The LWB forced me to have better posture thus distributing my weight more evenly across my back/core, whereas the cushy SUV seats made me slouch.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I did a test drive in a 991.1 GT3 w/ LWB's while struggling with a lower back, herniated disc. The drive comfort was no problem, but getting my left leg up and out of that seat was a difficult. I would not enjoy running errands and having to get in and out of those repetitively. Despite their beauty, I would have to pass.
I also have PCCB's on my 997.2 GT3 and would, without a doubt choose them again.
Love that GT Silver!
Have fun...
Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by watt

Here's silver wheels on GT Silver. After 5 spinal ops, I still find the LWB the best seats - you need the extra support. PCCB lower unsprung weight but this car canyon slams and does not go to the track. Another 7 kg saved with no lifts. Grey stripes.
gorgeous!!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto
I don't like these specific wheels in platinum on the GT silver GT3 but love them on Guards Red. However, for some reason, in this pic the platinum looks incredible.
Haha,

Won't set eyes on this one for a few more weeks, but had Platinum wheels on the ROW 991.2 GT3 and GT4 both in Rhodium and it looks great but right now the Silver wheels on the US car look better, having seen them
Old 01-12-2018, 10:49 PM
dog bucks
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by watt

Here's silver wheels on GT Silver. After 5 spinal ops, I still find the LWB the best seats - you need the extra support. PCCB lower unsprung weight but this car canyon slams and does not go to the track. Another 7 kg saved with no lifts. Grey stripes.
Can the Pup power slam?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 AM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Sounds odd, when is your lock date and build date?
I should have this info next week I’d hope. I found it odd too.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:43 AM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I've never heard of that in the US so might be a Canada specific thing. Or maybe there's a misunderstanding?
I was quite surprised at this as well. Im going to triple check tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Another vote for 4-ways over the 18s. Could not get comfortable in the latter and never any problems with the former.

The standard wheels or black work best with GT as the other two options lack contrast.

Love the PCCBs as they feel better and squeak less. And they're lighter so you know you've got a better handling car even if you can't feel it! Basically if you've got the cash do it.

MT vs PDK-S. Both great. No bad choice. PDK allows you to live at the top end more easily, which is half the point of this car. MT more involving subject to above.

You could choose the options at random and still get a great car so don't worry!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I've never heard of that in the US so might be a Canada specific thing. Or maybe there's a misunderstanding?
It must be a misunderstanding between the OP and his dealer.
GT3 Touring is available under Individual Options as a N/C Package option in either 032 silver or 039 black on the Canadian configurator.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
You need to decide for yourself. That's the only correct answer.
Asking here will get you all sorts of answers that are all over the place.
You hit three 'hot' topics in one question - transmission choice, brakes, and seats. People love to debate those choices for pages and pages.
Schrödinger’s cat is a quark.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 AM
linusto
Instructor

Update. Thanks to all of you who suggested I investigate the Touring situation. Well I did just that and I’m pleased to report that I will indeed be getting a Touring. There was a specific issue and restrictions in Canada for some Q1 builds but things turned around for me. Because of this, some of my configuration will change. For example, with the interior being quite different vs the winged version, I think I’ll avoid the red stitching and stay understated black leather with black stitching. Also, I think in keeping with the ‘Touring” ethos, I’ll skip the Sports Chrono wart for a clean and simple dash and interior. Also, I’m going to stick with 18 ways. Another sales associate at a different dealership from where I received my allocation who is a friend of mine said that if I’m going manual and given my sciatic issue, 18 way might be best considering that I need to fine tune my seating position for the left leg. I think he may be right in my case.

Now the the biggest challenge for me is colour. I have decided to opt for the silver trim bits as opposed to the black Touring and spec the satin aluminum wheels for a classy yet punchy look. I’ve narrowed the colors down to two: GT silver and Sapphire Blue. With respect to Sapphire, I’ve watched this videos a number of times and I’ve fallen in love with the way Sapphire looks in this video:
My concern is that this may not be an accurate representation of the colour or how the car will actually look in direct sunlight. In the dappled shade where it’s being unloaded from the truck, it looks great though. Any thoughts from existing Sapphire owners? Here’s a snap from the video.

Exterior snapshot of Sapphire Blue GT3T

The interior of the GT3T while on the transport truck.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

A happy ending indeed!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Awesome to hear that you were able to get the touring package

Between your two choices, GT Silver is my favorite Porsche color but I would actually lean towards SBM for the Touring pack for that added contrast against the silver bits and silver wheels

A GT silver touring with silver trim and silver wheels was photographed at PEC Atlanta as well as LA Auto Show and just personally I think it needs a darker color with the light wheels/silver trim for that "pop" otherwise too mundane... but just my opinion, others may feel the opposite
Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Marcys1973
4th Gear

With SBM you might consider also these wheels. Initially I was also considering GT silver and black, but finally decided to choose SBM and I am very happy with my choice -this is standard GT3 (No touring) with manual.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Congrats on the allocation and glad the Touring option is available to you. Re: color, GT Silver vs. Sapphire Blue is akin to Timeless Classic vs. Electric...while SBM is a great color, I would go with the classic GT Silver. The ultimate understated build, especially for a GT3T. You can't really go wrong either way!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated