Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watt

Here's silver wheels on GT Silver. After 5 spinal ops, I still find the LWB the best seats - you need the extra support. PCCB lower unsprung weight but this car canyon slams and does not go to the track. Another 7 kg saved with no lifts. Grey stripes.
Sweet, just sweet.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Just reading your statement it seems manual and silver should not even be questions for you. You said you and your family are conservative on color and you want more driver involvement. Now you really only need to figure out seats and brakes.
Congrats on getting the build slot.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by watt

The ROW car is also GT Silver and has Platinum wheels to hide the dirt from red brakes as this car goes to the track. LWB. Both cars have PDK. And smoker kit . With the red stripe, red stitching is Mandatory!! for Aus/NZ orders.
I don't like these specific wheels in platinum on the GT silver GT3 but love them on Guards Red. However, for some reason, in this pic the platinum looks incredible.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdonger
Manual
Can't go wrong with GT Silver
I would go with black or regular wheels on a GT silver car. Satin Aluminum won't give as much contrast. The standard wheels look way better in the two pictured above. Satin makes it too luxury car looking.
4 ways will have more padding as Chris said above.
If you rarely track then I would get PCCB's. Cool factor, weight savings, size and no brake dust are awesome.
I haven't seen the satin aluminum in person but my understanding is that it is the same finish as on the 911R wheels. In pics that I've found in this forum and on pistonheads, the difference is the satin aluminum looks to be slightly more matte and slightly brighter than the base wheels but still fairly similar. If I don't get PCCBs, then no satin aluminum - I can't imagine how easily brake dust would show on those wheels.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:00 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0to60
U want a 6 speed, get one. LWB are a must, u need to try them out at your dealer. I love PCCB as optioning it will be half the price from purchasing from the parts department, do it now. As far as any silver/gray it's in my opinion very boring, but if it excites you then it's your car, so go with the color you want most. Lastly, did you pay a dealer ADM or was it a straight MSRP deal ? Also any trade in vehicle and was the final offer fair. Good luck
Straight MSRP in Canada. I'm trading in my GTS and I believe the trade-in is as fair as I can expect considering the situation. The dealership has also been very generous in helping me secure better value privately. The chap I deal with operates with integrity - not always easy to find.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrKid
I have also been lurking and gleaning great information over the past year, new to the GT3 world....
Hope I can add some helpful insight from my admittedly very modest experience with the seats -
Your build looks awesome - As others have said GT Silver is "safe" but beautiful color - nice touches with the contrast stitching

On the seats - I have visited the dealer on multiple occasions to specifically sit in all 3 -
I have opted to go with 4 ways - they are the most comfortable to me - and I can agree that the seats feel like the have more padding in the right places vs the 18 ways.
The LWB were the next most comfortable to me while actually sitting in them- I don't plan to track the car much if at all - (opting for a touring) and therefore don't need the extra support or the ability for a racing harness - In addition there is a bit of a "flop" into the seat when getting in - I'm sure with practice you could get more graceful than I was but I can see it being even more of a spouse issue - my wife will not only be the most frequent passenger but also will be a driver - despite the weight savings and admittedly "cool factor" appearance of the LWB they would not be my first choice.

The LWB do offer plenty of support - but much less padding - it just depends on what your back will need over the miles and miles of driving to be comfortable.

The 18 ways were an odd one - each time I went in I was expecting to find them more and more comfortable - however with all the various adjustments I could not find the perfect place to match the instant comfort of the 4 ways.

Anyway - my two cents from some admittedly short seat time in each one - best advice would be to go try them out if you haven't - and before you finalize try to spend as long of stretch as possible so you are confident in your choice
Thanks for your insights. The biggest challenge is the inability to find a car to test drive with buckets. I'm going to keep looking.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
You need to decide for yourself. That's the only correct answer.
Asking here will get you all sorts of answers that are all over the place.
You hit three 'hot' topics in one question - transmission choice, brakes, and seats. People love to debate those choices for pages and pages.
No question, Dr. Bill. Much is this is very personal with no correct answer. But I do benefit from the insights and perspective I glean. They have been quite helpful to me on previous occasions as well - especially the debates!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Just reading your statement it seems manual and silver should not even be questions for you. You said you and your family are conservative on color and you want more driver involvement. Now you really only need to figure out seats and brakes.
Congrats on getting the build slot.
Thanks wareaglescott. Ok, so manual, check. GT Silver, check. Wheels - still researching. Brakes - leaning heavily toward PCCB. Seats - 18way default but still would like to try to find a 4way and LWB to test drive.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:38 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto
Funny thing you mention family members that may want to drive. I specifically got PDK for my wife and my older daughter (19yrs) to enjoy the 991.2 GTS. They like it but won't drive it due to the 'intimidation factor' - not sure I fully understand that one. On the other hand, my younger daughter (17yrs) who is learning to drive has driven the GTS a few times and is looking forward to driving the GT3 manual when it arrives. She's been learning how to drive stick on my Miata.

In terms of colour, I think GT Silver will help reduce the attention the car draws, especially considering that my car will not be a Touring. I really wanted the Touring by the way but alas it's not in the cards for me.
I'm not sure how it works in Canada but if it is the same as NA, touring pack is just a selectable option on the configurator (no need for a Touring specific allocation or slot)...so if you want the Touring pack go for it!!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I'm not sure how it works in Canada but if it is the same as NA, touring pack is just a selectable option on the configurator (no need for a Touring specific allocation or slot)...so if you want the Touring pack go for it!!
i was specifically told that a Touring allocation was not available to me for my production month unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

PCCB yes. Seats? I have major back and hip issues and the LWBs are the best for me. The only Porsche seats that leave me pain free after multiple hours in the drivers seat.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

As far as LWBs and seats go - highly highly recommend you find some seat time in them. I think seats is one of the most subjective options on the car...I am a younger guy with no back issues and I hated the LWBS. And conversely there are many likely older than me who swear by the LWBS. They look cooler than the sport seats plus, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my comfort for that.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Straight MSRP in Canada. I'm trading in my GTS and I believe the trade-in is as fair as I can expect considering the situation. The dealership has also been very generous in helping me secure better value privately. The chap I deal with operates with integrity - not always easy to find.
Free healthcare and MSRP GT cars, must be nice to be a "Canuck" congrats
Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

i was specifically told that a Touring allocation was not available to me for my production month unfortunately.
Sounds odd, when is your lock date and build date?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of that in the US so might be a Canada specific thing. Or maybe there's a misunderstanding?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 configuration - advice appreciated