Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,387 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadster08
Just want to say a quick thanks to the owners who actually drive the 911R and have given their feedback on what it is like to own an R in this thread, even with the hate. Having been lucky enough to drive one for 2 minutes, I want to hear more stories of what it's like to own and drive it. Could care less on which is better as it is all subjective anyway.
The worst part of R ownership is hearing from people who think it's overhyped. Everything else is great.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:34 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Local dealer just sold a 911R white with red stripes on commission for $390's, looks like these cars are still commanding a high premium even with the touring in bound
Tx for info. Was that the one under carcover @ Stevinson in auxillary showroom?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:46 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
Tx for info. Was that the one under carcover @ Stevinson in auxillary showroom?
It was one of them, the other is the owners car, a black 911R with black wheels, red stripes and pepita LWBs really beautiful car. The White one was a Poster car classic spec really pretty as well, I had thought the prices would have fallen but goes to show the car is really on a different level. They currently have a bunch of .1 GT3s including a mint green example, not my taste with the 991body but has to be a rare bird
Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Fully agree. I drive mine with a few Porsche owners on a typical after late night TV show, weather permitting. Just to have more serenity on or off the road.

There will always be admirers, then there's the detractors.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The worst part of R ownership is hearing from people who think it's overhyped. Everything else is great.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Curious, any Rs come with 18ways? FWIW, I'm not a fan of buckets (I know...)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
One in plain GT silver was for sale with 18 ways (no stripes, LWBS, or SMFW - Canadian spec I believe) and got butchered, but different strokes for different folks.. the LWBS in the brown leather and houndstooth IMO are a huge part of the "special" makeup of that car.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:30 PM
GRPerformance
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
I have definitely seen a couple spec'd that way. Definitely more comfortable if you drove it a lot.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings from Australia - for those concerned. The car is epic!

I understand why it has it's detractors, but for those that understand, it's just the most amazing road car.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
One in plain GT silver was for sale with 18 ways (no stripes, LWBS, or SMFW - Canadian spec I believe) and got butchered, but different strokes for different folks.. the LWBS in the brown leather and houndstooth IMO are a huge part of the "special" makeup of that car.
That one is fishy to me. The circumstances in which it crossed the border from Quebec to Florida seem almost illegal. It’s also a poor spec imo. They’re asking way too much for such a sketchy origin. Don’t buy cars with stories.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Obviously, your opinion doesn’t matter either, because you have no pictures, lol.

Other members here like JCBH who has driven the gt3 with his R at the same time, says the same thing. And we know there is zero difference between the GT3 and the Touring. Obviously, his experience is BS as well. But wait, he has pictures, lol.

Yep. I was actually expecting the manual GT3 to be better in every way - I was left pretty numb by the GT3...could not wait to get back in my 911R...and everyone with me had a similar reaction...they were all surprised how different the two cars were - the suspension, steering, nimble feel of the 911R... It is a special car that I will never sell...I have 1,600 or so miles on mine so far and every new mile is pure joy. Some friends have taken it for spirited drives, and they felt the same rush. All are experienced at driving various Porsche GT cars, and all felt and appreciated the 911R’s unique nature.

And here are the aforementioned photos

Last edited by JCBH; 03-06-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,852 Likes on 2,395 Posts

" I remember a warm rainy evening in Colorado, with a date, in the 997.2 RS with no A/C. The cabin was fogged"

====> hum..... well...... WHAT WERE U DOING INSIDE THE CABIN ;-)....... i was in high school once !
Old 03-06-2018, 03:20 AM
ricsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Yep. I was actually expecting the manual GT3 to be better in every way - I was left pretty numb by the GT3...could not wait to get back in my 911R...and everyone with me had a similar reaction...they were all surprised how different the two cars were - the suspension, steering, nimble feel of the 911R... It is a special car that I will never sell...I have 1,600 or so miles on mine so far and every new mile is pure joy. Some friends have taken it for spirited drives, and they felt the same rush. All are experienced at driving various Porsche GT cars, and all felt and appreciated the 911R’s unique nature.

And here are the aforementioned photos

I think that the lines and the shapes of the 991.1 are much more harmonious than the 991.2, which are sharper and you can see that they represent a study of a later style that little harmonizes with the sweet curves of the first series car. That said, the soul of the R is absolutely different from the 991.2, much softer and lighter in the curves. Ultimately it is the real grand tourism, sufficiently comfortable and with a little 'space behind the seats. Personally I do not want to criticize those who have chosen the 18-way seats.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

This is the ONLY kind of spec that honestly could be purchased for 230-250k. The SMFW is really the biggest option you could have gotten for the car that differentiates it. I have seen a couple standard 18 way seats but done CXX with houndstooth and that actually seems like a pretty cool thing, but undoubtedly hits on the value a little as well. Forget the whole canadian and sketchy origin thing, that's just icing on this bad cake lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost laughed when they said they want $350. I wouldn’t pay 350$ Canadian.
Originally Posted by sechsgang
This is the ONLY kind of spec that honestly could be purchased for 230-250k. The SMFW is really the biggest option you could have gotten for the car that differentiates it. I have seen a couple standard 18 way seats but done CXX with houndstooth and that actually seems like a pretty cool thing, but undoubtedly hits on the value a little as well. Forget the whole canadian and sketchy origin thing, that's just icing on this bad cake lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

What golf course is that?

Quick Reply: Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?