Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Price point here in Aus, (noting no obvious VIP program) is upon enquiry the one listed for sale could be discounted a little but still chasing approximately twice what touring is sold for here with a heap of options. To support I'm a buyer at a decent spec at 50% premium on original RRP. Would sell the T and drive the R. I was disappointed to miss out originally, and will enjoy the touring no doubt, but would like to keep a few more numbered cars if I can. No strong view on investment, just personal preference.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Those in the weeds come out in low 300's only because they believe that there are many more in the weeds waiting to come out at 300. When everyone sees that the weeds are much emptier than they thought (and still emptying) the price will come down to low 200's.

Dried-out <1000miles museum pieces are always a crap-shoot. There's a 14yr old 600mile 996.2 gt3 at the marketplace here asking $165k. Why anyone would think they should have an edge in the dried-out museum pieces market (vs the other, more experienced players there) is beyond me.

Depending on how 'in love' I am with upcoming 1.2 3rs, I'd consider a well spec'd/maintained R in the low-300's. I'm not a flipper. I'm an enthusiast. I will keep 1 car out of the 991 series and the .2-3rs is my guess for what I keep. But if it fails to WOW me on the street (I know it will wow me in the track), R would be next on my list most likely as long-term 991 keeper.

Now if they are growing on trees at 300 by then, sure, I'll try to buy one at a better price but relative to my alternatives in car mkt right now, I peg an R as a cool toy/driving experience in low 300's. smfw and buckets would be must but not super picky after that. Miles don't scare me; I've had more issues with uber-low mile used cars than ones with some use and appropriate maintenance.

I have a touring coming. I'll get a .2 3rs. I've never driven an R. I still would guess .2 3rs and maybe 981/2 spyder are the keepers out of this era? But that's all personal preference.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I still would guess .2 3rs and maybe 981/2 spyder are the keepers out of this era? But that's all personal preference.
Wise man right here.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Those in the weeds come out in low 300's only because they believe that there are many more in the weeds waiting to come out at 300. When everyone sees that the weeds are much emptier than they thought (and still emptying) the price will come down to low 200's.
That's some funny **** right there.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Depending on how 'in love' I am with upcoming 1.2 3rs, I'd consider a well spec'd/maintained R in the low-300's. I'm not a flipper. I'm an enthusiast. I will keep 1 car out of the 991 series and the .2-3rs is my guess for what I keep. But if it fails to WOW me on the street (I know it will wow me in the track), R would be next on my list most likely as long-term 991 keeper.

Now if they are growing on trees at 300 by then, sure, I'll try to buy one at a better price but relative to my alternatives in car mkt right now, I peg an R as a cool toy/driving experience in low 300's. smfw and buckets would be must but not super picky after that. Miles don't scare me; I've had more issues with uber-low mile used cars than ones with some use and appropriate maintenance.

I have a touring coming. I'll get a .2 3rs. I've never driven an R. I still would guess .2 3rs and maybe 981/2 spyder are the keepers out of this era? But that's all personal preference.
I think we are of the same mindset in terms of not being scared off by miles. I would never buy a deliver mile/near delivery mile car that has been sitting around for years and years. One is the additional premium for it and two the potential unknown mechanic issues from a car that has been sitting around not being driven for so long. When my time comes to look seriously at getting a CGT, I will focus my search on well maintained ones with over 10k miles because I want to continue to drive it. No garage art allowed in my garage!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I think we are of the same mindset in terms of not being scared off by miles. I would never buy a deliver mile/near delivery mile car that has been sitting around for years and years. One is the additional premium for it and two the potential unknown mechanic issues from a car that has been sitting around not being driven for so long. When my time comes to look seriously at getting a CGT, I will focus my search on well maintained ones with over 10k miles because I want to continue to drive it. No garage art allowed in my garage!
Yes we do think alike. I have an 11,xxx mi, well maintained 2-owner CGT that i just got inspected last week. It's in good mechanical condition, recent major service and hopefully in my garage in a few weeks. I'd rather hang out with the crowd that brags about their 50k mi CGT than a 50mi CGT. Garage queens give me anxiety and make me feel guilty for driving them. Where's the fun in that?!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM
amerifrikaner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice R! Tough sell without an AC, but the white and green combo looks stunning.

Looks like the photo was taken at Santa Monica Airport...what a mess between the city and the FAA with the closure/shortening of the runway.

Originally Posted by richk

Here is a picture of the beast.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Spending the time and money to retrofit the ac in that thing will get the price back up to market parity. The AC delete = purist spec is such a misguided myth.. leads a few down the path of losing selling opportunity on their car
Old 01-16-2018, 12:07 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Spending the time and money to retrofit the ac in that thing will get the price back up to market parity. The AC delete = purist spec is such a misguided myth.. leads a few down the path of losing selling opportunity on their car
Right. Street cars delete AC to be more like race cars while real race cars add cool-box/cool-suit/blowers (after stripping out the AC) to keep the driver cooler. Makes sense.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

A/C delete = fail on resale! I want A/C coming on and off the track.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Good eye Amerifrikaner...yes pics are at SM airport.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
A/C delete = fail on resale! I want A/C coming on and off the track.
For me I do not care for A/C. I have never used A/C in any of my toys. If it is too hot out so I can not keep my windows open to enjoy the exhaust then i just do not drive it. I have a nice DD for those days

But - I do not delete it because will hurt resale.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Would be interesting to know the expense/difficulty in retrofitting AC to a car like this. In a place like Dallas, lack of AC is a death sentence.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Would be interesting to know the expense/difficulty in retrofitting AC to a car like this. In a place like Dallas, lack of AC is a death sentence.
find me any place in the world in summer.. with the possible exception of being within about a mile of the coast here in NorCal and heading north along hwy 1 (and if you go just a few miles inland you're baking too). AC delete is foolish game.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

ya California or parts of Europe would be about the only places you could get away with this, and even then it's not a good idea imo.

Quick Reply: Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?