Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently? - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Reply

Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 AM
  #61
GT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 712
Default

I would just hold on to the R for the next year or two. Right now is the worst possible time to sell one because most people out there assume they can just walk into a dealer get a Touring instead. While I think more 991.2 GT3 allocations will be released, they will still not meet demand.
GT3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 AM
  #62
Maverick787
User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,908
Default

I still think the “R” is a special car for the following it’s a GT numbered car which have always done well on the value front of that’s your thing. Next, I do like the bubbled roof look, and the wide body look. Personally, I would pay 50k over and keep the car for years of enjoyment that’s me. Now, the touring is a very nice car also that I would buy for MSRP which I do have an allocation for, but on the special front it’s a GT3 minus the wing nothing more than that for me so no-go. I like rowing the gears in my 981 Spyder which is pretty cool to me, and will not push me to get arrested on public roads (that’s just me) That solves my light weight stick shift bug. I sold my RS after one year 2000 miles little track time, and a lot of weekend mountain driving with friends lots of fun along with all those stone chips. Sold it above MSRP not too bad, but wanted a owner to drive it more than me. My work life balance took a turn that I travel so much and it’s cut into my car time which the RS was not ideal. The R would have been a good car for my time not a track beater, but something that I would consider special and hold for years and pass down. That’s can be shallow as well because anything you own can be special eyes in the beholder.

The engine thing is a not a big deal for the following, Porsche would be a terrible company if the new engine being manufactured was not better than the previous engine right so that debate is a wash. You have several guys on this board that drive the “snot” out of their GT cars which I applaud because they have the time, and passion to do what many of us can’t do including the skill. Now you have the other group that bubble wrap their cars, and put all these paint preservation chemicals only to keep the car less than two years with low miles. (Nice extras for the new guy) However, nothing wrong with that it’s the car and that’s how they enjoy their car no need to think everyone has to be speed racer. The “R” is like the stock market many got the IPO, and some got caught on the last buy into the ponsi-scheme. Now you must consider the math many are paying over for a GT3 because because they want it so bet it, and some guy paid double for an “R“, but it’s was less than one weeks pay. (He got what he wanted) Perosnally, I think many of you are right but you can’t change the position why someone buys what they buy other than they can which I see zero wrong with that.

Porsche just gobbles all this stuff up, and there marketing people read this board for free market research man how easy is that. We’re all blessed to own these cool cars, and drive them and trade them when bored. Whatever you drive it’s pretty cool guys .......think about the guy in that old 997 4.0 with the old slow motor(: For sports guys everyone first round draft pick may not be good for three years or so ......don’t trade the pick.
Maverick787 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 AM
  #63
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 16,177
Default

Originally Posted by richk
If anyone has interest there is a deal to be made on this car. Only negative is car has no a/c or audio.
Follow the Forum rules and list the selling price.
Stop playing games.
LexVan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM
  #64
Es macht nichts
Super User
 
Es macht nichts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,933
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Why? Just interested in your logic behind it.
Because the R is the original, the real deal. The touring is an R wannabe. It couldn't be called the R, so it was forced into the GT3 slot. Look at all of the touring buyers trying to dress it up with the stickers used on the R. And look at how PAG removed "GT3" from the rear badge and replaced it with that small "GT3 Touring" plate on the rear grill. All of this is to make the touring look more like the R (the car everyone really wanted). I understand a lot of people are very emotional here, bitter they didn't get the R, wanting to bash the R to make themselves feel better. But the R is the legend, the touring is the consolation for those who missed out on the legend.

Again, I'm a buyer at $250K. In fact, I'll take two. Buckets and smfw are my only two requirements.

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Gonna love my Touring but I'd trade it for an R in a heartbeat.
One of the few honest posts in this thread.
Es macht nichts is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 AM
  #65
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,485
Default

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts View Post
Because the R is the original, the real deal. The touring is an R wannabe. It couldn't be called the R, so it was forced into the GT3 slot. Look at all of the touring buyers trying to dress it up with the stickers used on the R. And look at how PAG removed "GT3" from the rear badge and replaced it with that small "GT3 Touring" plate on the rear grill. All of this is to make the touring look more like the R (the car everyone really wanted). I understand a lot of people are very emotional here, bitter they didn't get the R, wanting to bash the R to make themselves feel better. But the R is the legend, the touring is the consolation for those who missed out on the legend.
I think you are projecting. The only emotional posts seem to be coming from the "defenders" of R's mystical "specialness". Most other people (including myself) agree and acknowledge that the R is a great car, which is why I estimate a $30k R premium over the Touring (an even better car) a year from now.

Again, I'm a buyer at $250K. In fact, I'll take two. Buckets and smfw are my only two requirements.
Then rejoice -- you'll be able to buy ten at that price next year.
hf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM
  #66
fxz
Super User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist h÷re...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Posts: 2,685
Default

I wouldn't trade my touring for any R
fxz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM
  #67
neoprufrok
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neoprufrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 304
Default

Every iteration of car model will generally be better than the previous - which then relegates even the special previous generation cars "obsolete" in terms of performance, tech etc. For example, the 720s outperforms my LT on every performance metric and tech spec. That said, I still wouldn't take a 720 over my current LT (even though I am in process of selling it for financial reasons).

The R is the best of the 991.1 generation. It embodies everything that Porsche did right in that generation. It's numbered. And it was an answer to this current situation (GT cars were all PDK, overreliance on 'ring times as a standard, etc), that refreshed what we love about Porsche 95% of the time (which is how much I spend on the road vs track).

Of course the GT3T is a great car. Of course, on paper, it beats out the spec. But I'd still take an R over a GT3T anyday (although let's be real here, I wouldn't do it at sky high over MSRP dollars)

Someone above set it best, a lot of emotion about this, and that's fine. We all just have our opinions.
neoprufrok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM
  #68
richk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
richk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles and nyc
Posts: 1,918
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Follow the Forum rules and list the selling price.
Stop playing games.
Your right and I told him we need to list a price. Lets go with $379,000 but open to offers.

As John Wright @ PNH says...offers buy cars.
richk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:08 PM
  #69
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,035
Default

Originally Posted by Maverick787 View Post
The engine thing is a not a big deal for the following, Porsche would be a terrible company if the new engine being manufactured was not better than the previous engine right so that debate is a wash.


Just to nitpick a bit but I disagree that that debate is a wash. It's debatable if the new .2 GT3 engine is even better than the 4.0 Mezger released in 2011 because according to a dyno chart, it's not. Expecting "better" engines every generation in this age of big-government intervention really depends on one's definition of "better" and it's something that's outside of Porsche's control. If your main concern is CO2 emissions than I'm sure the new engine is an improvement. At some point in the near future the latest GT3 probably won't be naturally-aspirated and while some might say it's "better" - many will not.

At the end of the day, even the R's biggest detractors (like myself) tend to focus on the fact that the market for it is grossly overpriced. I personally believe it's more overpriced in the secondary market than any Porsche I've ever tracked. In the long run, even I think it's going to end up a more desirable model than the Touring akin to the 20-25% premium one would currently pay for a 2014 50th anniversary over a GTS. That would seem to put the price for a good non-PTS R at about the 250k mark right now but perhaps the Touring doesn't soak up all the demand and both cars move north in value in the future. If I could have configured either car new I probably would have picked the R. Since I couldn't I'd probably pick the Touring over someone else's R configuration for the same price (assuming I couldn't flip them). ...add another 150k to the price and it's really a no-brainer for me.

The R is definitely special, it's just not "that" special. Someday the 73' RS and the 11' 4.0 RS will stand alone in the pecking order and the R will probably slot in next to the 964 RS America or something...
destaccado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM
  #70
WernerE
User
 
WernerE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 927
Default

I've always been a fan of the 911R -- I still am and have been following listings on cars.com. The # of cars available is growing and prices are dropping. The GT3 Touring is forcing everyone to evaluate the 911R premium. Currently, the market appears to be saying it's not a $200k premium (particularly when it's someone else's spec). My Touring build w/PTS and PCCBs is touching $190k, which is a bargain compared to a $400k 911R. If 911Rs descend to approx. $250k, the calculus changes a bit.
WernerE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:42 PM
  #71
786
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 497
Default

Originally Posted by richk View Post

that thing is gorgeous. would take that over a GT3T any day, so many special touches.

not saying the GT3T is a bad car at all, just seems more mainstream/less special.
786 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM
  #72
WernerE
User
 
WernerE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 927
Default

Really surprised with the production stat showing 30 are opting for the Touring Package Exterior in Black (vs. Silver). Interesting. Most photos I've seen highlight the silver trim. Must be a black wheel thing?

WernerE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 PM
  #73
Maverick787
User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,908
Default

Everyone there both great cars. If you have the cash get what you want or both.
https://www.topgear.com/videos/super...911-gt3-manual
Maverick787 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 PM
  #74
usctrojanGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
usctrojanGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,326
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
The R is definitely special, it's just not "that" special. Someday the 73' RS and the 11' 4.0 RS will stand alone in the pecking order and the R will probably slot in next to the 964 RS America or something...
You knew that the pricing of the R was ultra inflated when it was trading higher than the 997 4.0 simply because there were only 600 produced (vs 991 of the Rs). I think the R will probably always trade at a premium to MSRP because of being numbered but those premiums will fall to the mid 5 figures.
usctrojanGT3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM
  #75
richk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
richk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles and nyc
Posts: 1,918
Default

The 918 VIP program created the pricing bubble...its that simple. My buddy bought the R because he likes to have limited production cars. I personally think its a horrible time to sell but its not my car.
richk is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
richk
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
0
05-05-2017 05:16 PM
richk
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
0
05-05-2017 03:19 PM
richk
997 GT2/GT3 Forum
12
04-24-2017 08:36 PM
richk
991 Turbo
23
03-21-2017 05:58 PM
richk
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
4
01-15-2017 10:18 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: