Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

I would just hold on to the R for the next year or two. Right now is the worst possible time to sell one because most people out there assume they can just walk into a dealer get a Touring instead. While I think more 991.2 GT3 allocations will be released, they will still not meet demand.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I still think the “R” is a special car for the following it’s a GT numbered car which have always done well on the value front of that’s your thing. Next, I do like the bubbled roof look, and the wide body look. Personally, I would pay 50k over and keep the car for years of enjoyment that’s me. Now, the touring is a very nice car also that I would buy for MSRP which I do have an allocation for, but on the special front it’s a GT3 minus the wing nothing more than that for me so no-go. I like rowing the gears in my 981 Spyder which is pretty cool to me, and will not push me to get arrested on public roads (that’s just me) That solves my light weight stick shift bug. I sold my RS after one year 2000 miles little track time, and a lot of weekend mountain driving with friends lots of fun along with all those stone chips. Sold it above MSRP not too bad, but wanted a owner to drive it more than me. My work life balance took a turn that I travel so much and it’s cut into my car time which the RS was not ideal. The R would have been a good car for my time not a track beater, but something that I would consider special and hold for years and pass down. That’s can be shallow as well because anything you own can be special eyes in the beholder.

The engine thing is a not a big deal for the following, Porsche would be a terrible company if the new engine being manufactured was not better than the previous engine right so that debate is a wash. You have several guys on this board that drive the “snot” out of their GT cars which I applaud because they have the time, and passion to do what many of us can’t do including the skill. Now you have the other group that bubble wrap their cars, and put all these paint preservation chemicals only to keep the car less than two years with low miles. (Nice extras for the new guy) However, nothing wrong with that it’s the car and that’s how they enjoy their car no need to think everyone has to be speed racer. The “R” is like the stock market many got the IPO, and some got caught on the last buy into the ponsi-scheme. Now you must consider the math many are paying over for a GT3 because because they want it so bet it, and some guy paid double for an “R“, but it’s was less than one weeks pay. (He got what he wanted) Perosnally, I think many of you are right but you can’t change the position why someone buys what they buy other than they can which I see zero wrong with that.

Porsche just gobbles all this stuff up, and there marketing people read this board for free market research man how easy is that. We’re all blessed to own these cool cars, and drive them and trade them when bored. Whatever you drive it’s pretty cool guys .......think about the guy in that old 997 4.0 with the old slow motor(: For sports guys everyone first round draft pick may not be good for three years or so ......don’t trade the pick.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
If anyone has interest there is a deal to be made on this car. Only negative is car has no a/c or audio.
Follow the Forum rules and list the selling price.
Stop playing games.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Last edited by FORENN; 05-03-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Because the R is the original, the real deal. The touring is an R wannabe. It couldn't be called the R, so it was forced into the GT3 slot. Look at all of the touring buyers trying to dress it up with the stickers used on the R. And look at how PAG removed "GT3" from the rear badge and replaced it with that small "GT3 Touring" plate on the rear grill. All of this is to make the touring look more like the R (the car everyone really wanted). I understand a lot of people are very emotional here, bitter they didn't get the R, wanting to bash the R to make themselves feel better. But the R is the legend, the touring is the consolation for those who missed out on the legend.
I think you are projecting. The only emotional posts seem to be coming from the "defenders" of R's mystical "specialness". Most other people (including myself) agree and acknowledge that the R is a great car, which is why I estimate a $30k R premium over the Touring (an even better car) a year from now.

Again, I'm a buyer at $250K. In fact, I'll take two. Buckets and smfw are my only two requirements.
Then rejoice -- you'll be able to buy ten at that price next year.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

I wouldn't trade my touring for any R
Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Every iteration of car model will generally be better than the previous - which then relegates even the special previous generation cars "obsolete" in terms of performance, tech etc. For example, the 720s outperforms my LT on every performance metric and tech spec. That said, I still wouldn't take a 720 over my current LT (even though I am in process of selling it for financial reasons).

The R is the best of the 991.1 generation. It embodies everything that Porsche did right in that generation. It's numbered. And it was an answer to this current situation (GT cars were all PDK, overreliance on 'ring times as a standard, etc), that refreshed what we love about Porsche 95% of the time (which is how much I spend on the road vs track).

Of course the GT3T is a great car. Of course, on paper, it beats out the spec. But I'd still take an R over a GT3T anyday (although let's be real here, I wouldn't do it at sky high over MSRP dollars)

Someone above set it best, a lot of emotion about this, and that's fine. We all just have our opinions.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Follow the Forum rules and list the selling price.
Stop playing games.
Your right and I told him we need to list a price. Lets go with $379,000 but open to offers.

As John Wright @ PNH says...offers buy cars.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The engine thing is a not a big deal for the following, Porsche would be a terrible company if the new engine being manufactured was not better than the previous engine right so that debate is a wash.

Just to nitpick a bit but I disagree that that debate is a wash. It's debatable if the new .2 GT3 engine is even better than the 4.0 Mezger released in 2011 because according to a dyno chart, it's not. Expecting "better" engines every generation in this age of big-government intervention really depends on one's definition of "better" and it's something that's outside of Porsche's control. If your main concern is CO2 emissions than I'm sure the new engine is an improvement. At some point in the near future the latest GT3 probably won't be naturally-aspirated and while some might say it's "better" - many will not.

At the end of the day, even the R's biggest detractors (like myself) tend to focus on the fact that the market for it is grossly overpriced. I personally believe it's more overpriced in the secondary market than any Porsche I've ever tracked. In the long run, even I think it's going to end up a more desirable model than the Touring akin to the 20-25% premium one would currently pay for a 2014 50th anniversary over a GTS. That would seem to put the price for a good non-PTS R at about the 250k mark right now but perhaps the Touring doesn't soak up all the demand and both cars move north in value in the future. If I could have configured either car new I probably would have picked the R. Since I couldn't I'd probably pick the Touring over someone else's R configuration for the same price (assuming I couldn't flip them). ...add another 150k to the price and it's really a no-brainer for me.

The R is definitely special, it's just not "that" special. Someday the 73' RS and the 11' 4.0 RS will stand alone in the pecking order and the R will probably slot in next to the 964 RS America or something...
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

I've always been a fan of the 911R -- I still am and have been following listings on cars.com. The # of cars available is growing and prices are dropping. The GT3 Touring is forcing everyone to evaluate the 911R premium. Currently, the market appears to be saying it's not a $200k premium (particularly when it's someone else's spec). My Touring build w/PTS and PCCBs is touching $190k, which is a bargain compared to a $400k 911R. If 911Rs descend to approx. $250k, the calculus changes a bit.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by richk

that thing is gorgeous. would take that over a GT3T any day, so many special touches.

not saying the GT3T is a bad car at all, just seems more mainstream/less special.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Really surprised with the production stat showing 30 are opting for the Touring Package Exterior in Black (vs. Silver). Interesting. Most photos I've seen highlight the silver trim. Must be a black wheel thing?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Everyone there both great cars. If you have the cash get what you want or both.
https://www.topgear.com/videos/super...911-gt3-manual
Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The R is definitely special, it's just not "that" special. Someday the 73' RS and the 11' 4.0 RS will stand alone in the pecking order and the R will probably slot in next to the 964 RS America or something...
You knew that the pricing of the R was ultra inflated when it was trading higher than the 997 4.0 simply because there were only 600 produced (vs 991 of the Rs). I think the R will probably always trade at a premium to MSRP because of being numbered but those premiums will fall to the mid 5 figures.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

The 918 VIP program created the pricing bubble...its that simple. My buddy bought the R because he likes to have limited production cars. I personally think its a horrible time to sell but its not my car.

Quick Reply: Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?