Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 PM
  #31  
CamsPorsche
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,620
Default

Originally Posted by Terrence View Post


I agree, but there won’t be that much Touring either, given that they didn’t even start production until Nov 2017 and all 991.2 GT3 (including touring) will end no later than Dec 2018 at the latest.
Bingo...here are the current stats:

CamsPorsche is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:05 PM
  #32  
Archimedes
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,144
Default

No AC makes no sense. Good luck selling that car. Absent that, I still think the 911R is going to yield a big premium over the Touring. In fact, I think eventually R values will actually go up from today's prices, not down.
Archimedes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:29 PM
  #33  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,739
Default

Why would anyone spend $250k on an R when they can get a gt3T for $180k? The plaque has no effect on the car's performance or feel, but it may be worth a $50k premium to a bubble-wrapper. Subtract $20k for the worse engine, and the R may converge to a $30k premium over an equally equipped and equally driven Touring (>5k miles) few years from now.
hf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM
  #34  
richk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
richk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles and nyc
Posts: 1,949
Default

I agree it will be a tough sell. I also agree with Spyerx that it’s a purist spec. That said the owner wants to sell and is open to offers. He realizes that a fairly large haircut is coming but he’s a big boy.

I think he paid 420k for the car.
richk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:18 PM
  #35  
Es macht nichts
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Es macht nichts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Why would anyone spend $250k on an R when they can get a gt3T for $180k? The plaque has no effect on the car's performance or feel, but it may be worth a $50k premium to a bubble-wrapper. Subtract $20k for the worse engine, and the R may converge to a $30k premium over an equally equipped and equally driven Touring (>5k miles) few years from now.
I'd drop 250k on an R with buckets and smfw in a heartbeat. If anyone has one for sale, I have wallet in hand.
Es macht nichts is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM
  #36  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,739
Default

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts View Post
I'd drop 250k on an R with buckets and smfw in a heartbeat.
Why? Just interested in your logic behind it.
hf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:44 PM
  #37  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,071
Default

The 911 R is still the most overpriced car Porsche has ever produced - bar none. You can see that just by a quick perusal of who's been selling it on Cars.com -- it's like every known bad actor Porsche flipper that this page rails on still has one for sale. It's probably the first Porsche in history where AP commented on the pricing and to counter it, Porsche built a new car just to cool the market off.

It isn't the last of its generation. The motor isn't special anymore. It isn't that rare as evidenced by the countless examples available.

Prices skyrocketed due to market dynamics/forces that no longer apply like, "last manual transmission", "Motorsport car minus the wing." It's only a matter of time until market fundamentals catch up and anyone that's been paying attention the last 6+ months has witnessed a continuous downward slope to the price.

Don't catch a falling knife.
destaccado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
  #38  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,071
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Why? Just interested in your logic behind it.
Still easy to flip for more than 250k right now. I'd be a buyer too.
destaccado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM
  #39  
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sampelligrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: in a 911
Posts: 1,137
Default

I think that the "package" and spirit of the R justify a premium, but not the premium the car is currently asking. Porsche has done one-off special variants or special edition cars for some time, and R just feels like a home run for one of those. The use of the very beautiful 991.1 GT3 body, LWBS done in brown and offered with houndstooth, the heritage stripes that made them now mainstream and brought them back in vogue, SMFW + engineering the car's towards a true driver's car (appealing to likely more than 50%+ of most GT owners), interior almost "singer" like in design....love the R and if I ever get the chance to add one to my garage I'll take it
sampelligrino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 PM
  #40  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,739
Default

Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
I think that the "package" and spirit of the R justify a premium, but not the premium the car is currently asking. Porsche has done one-off special variants or special edition cars for some time, and R just feels like a home run for one of those. The use of the very beautiful 991.1 GT3 body, LWBS done in brown and offered with houndstooth, the heritage stripes that made them now mainstream and brought them back in vogue, SMFW + engineering the car's towards a true driver's car (appealing to likely more than 50%+ of most GT owners), interior almost "singer" like in design....love the R and if I ever get the chance to add one to my garage I'll take it
The gt3T has or can easily have any of the above. Houndstooth is a CXX. The brown lwbs in the R conflict with the rest of its (black) interior -- they look after-market, so why have them? SMFW is an easy few $k mod, if you must. Plus, the gt3T can be had in the silver/chrome trim which looks 70's retro when combined with silver wheels and headlights, especially in a vintage PTS color from that time.
hf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 PM
  #41  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,071
Default

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts View Post


That’s completely different. Touring opened a bit later but it is really only limited to the degree people do not choose it. Akin to colors like rhodium and lava being limited.
Tell that to the guys trying to get a build slot. Yes, the Touring is less limited than the R. Thank God. Finally us plebes can have one.
destaccado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:02 PM
  #42  
destaccado
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,071
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
The gt3T has or can easily have any of the above. Houndstooth is a CXX. The brown lwbs in the R conflict with the rest of its (black) interior -- they look after-market, so why have them? SMFW is an easy few $k mod, if you must. Plus, the gt3T can be had in the silver/chrome trim which looks 70's retro when combined with silver wheels and headlights, especially in a vintage PTS color from that time.
In fairness, supposedly the superior motor in the GT3T doesn't play nice with the SMFW but maybe that's just AP marketing talk so they have an upgrade for the RS...

You really can add nearly everything the R has into the Touring. Stripes, door pulls, carbon shifter, etc... I don't know about the magnesium roof.

I dare say you still won't be close to the quality of a Singer interior though...
destaccado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:09 PM
  #43  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,739
Default

Originally Posted by destaccado View Post
In fairness, supposedly the superior motor in the GT3T doesn't play nice with the SMFW but maybe that's just AP marketing talk so they have an upgrade for the RS...
Sure, like the manual didn't play nice with the "superior" .1 engine, then it somehow did so well that the first car that got it (the R) went for 3x msrp when it first came out.
hf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:19 PM
  #44  
Archimedes
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,144
Default

Gonna love my Touring but I'd trade it for an R in a heartbeat.
Archimedes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM
  #45  
richk
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
richk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles and nyc
Posts: 1,949
Default


Here is a picture of the beast.
richk is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: