Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Would never sell. It's one of the most special cars of the last decades.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Right, the 911R is just a parts bin car, nothing special at all. I'm sure you can remove additional sound insulation on the touring, adjust the suspension setting, install all of the lightweight panels from the R, recalibrate the steering, clutch, braking and throttle mapping, add the Akra titanium exhaust, add a SMFW, add some stickers and get yourself an exact replica of the R. No problem, easy peasy

Originally Posted by fxz
Right
and switch the air filters and the akra from the R to the T as well and repeat the "test"

then where s the rawness?

Only real thing is the R SMFW but annihilated by the T real 9k rpms
Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Right, the 911R is just a parts bin car, nothing special at all. I'm sure you can remove additional sound insulation on the touring, adjust the suspension setting, install all of the lightweight panels from the R, recalibrate the steering, clutch, braking and throttle mapping, add the Akra titanium exhaust, add a SMFW, add some stickers and get yourself an exact replica of the R. No problem, easy peasy
i cant wait for lightweight panels

and indeed you can remove the T engine and install it on the R only then we d have a perfect T replica ...
Old 03-03-2018, 01:00 AM
unotaz
Drifting

I'm sorry buddy, doesn't matter how you spin it, the R is just a better car than the touring. Even if you take away the limited edition aspect, the 911R is just a better car with better driving experience than the touring.

Better steering and RWS calibration. Check
Lightweight body panels from the RS. Check
Less insulation than the RS. Check
SMFW. Check
Lightest in the 991 platform. Check
Special interior. Check
Better overall driving experience on the 991 platform. Check
Limited production and numbered. Check
Color mismatch. Check (Ok, that's just me )

Originally Posted by fxz
i cant wait for lightweight panels

and indeed you can remove the T engine and install it on the R only then we d have a perfect T replica ...
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 AM
unotaz
Drifting

100%. It's a very special car indeed!

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Would never sell. It's one of the most special cars of the last decades.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:19 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sorry buddy, doesn't matter how you spin it, the R is just a better car than the touring. Even if you take away the limited edition aspect, the 911R is just a better car with better driving experience than the touring.

SMFW. Check
Special interior. Check
That's a great spec on a very special car! Awesome. Hey bud, off topic but is that a UFO in the picture just above the horizon? LOL!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

SMFW. Check
Special interior. Check
agree with much of your list, but how does the R have better steering and RWS than the Touring, as Porsche spent even more time testing and improving both steering for the GT3 and RS?
Old 03-03-2018, 04:07 AM
unotaz
Drifting

It's set up differently. The steering on the 911R is much lighter, more sensitive and reactive to inputs. The RWS is also set up to activate at a lower speed compared to the GT3. For the canyons, which is what the 911R designed for, its set up is better than the GT3/Touring (more focused for track).

Originally Posted by Drifting

agree with much of your list, but how does the R have better steering and RWS than the Touring, as Porsche spent even more time testing and improving both steering for the GT3 and RS?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 AM
GrunHolle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's set up differently. The steering on the 911R is much lighter, more sensitive and reactive to inputs. The RWS is also set up to activate at a lower speed compared to the GT3. For the canyons, which is what the 911R designed for, its set up is better than the GT3/Touring (more focused for track).
Have you driven a GT3 Touring to compare or is this by the stats?

Last edited by GrunHolle; 03-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Has anyone mentioned how special the R is?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:16 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by GrunHolle
Have you driving a GT3 Touring to compare or is this by the stats?
...he forgot to mention the better engine in the T, the updated infotainment, the superior steering and suspension settings for high speed driving which he claims apply to the track but also apply to the autobahn where I drive, etc... Although he also forgot to mention the R positives of the the nice RS-style door pulls, the carbon shifter, and the door panels not having the silly chrome trim near the radio.

However, nothing he lists justifies double the price anymore other than the snob factor. The R is definitely special, it just isn't "that" special.

On the one hand you have Bovington, Harris, Preuninger, dyno-charts, usage in the cup car and historical improvement patterns demonstrating the "very likely" superiority of the new motor.

On the other you have guys that are now holding an investment selling to the tune of 350k for a car Porsche produced and sold for a profit at half that price claiming the old motor is superior or equal.

While automotive journalists might stretch the truth some, I find them to be far more credible than a guy protecting his investment.

With all this talk about "liveliness" and all the other subjective stuff people spout off about on a day to day basis, you'd think someone would have an iPhone and turn on a sound meter or something to demonstrate this "special sauce." If you watch the reviews - you definitely don't hear it so it must be magical noises that until you own the car you can't recognize.

Last edited by destaccado; 03-03-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Not sure about better, but it does seem to be more DIFFERENT under the skin than the wingless gt3.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx, I may take you up on the generous offer once spring arrives. We could go for a drive together and exchange cars. Doesn't look like it this weekend.
Though a thorough investigation would require quite a production: driving both the R and the Touring on the same day and same stretch of road, each with two different alignment settings. I'm not sure I'm invested enough in the issue to ever arrange that.
I would be interested in what you think after you drive. I have never driven the "R" and would love to
Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a friend with an R that wants to drive my RS so I will get the chance to test it against my GT3MT. If you could have have gotten an R at MSRP I would rather have it than a touring just for the CF parts and their cool factor. At 350K you have to be kidding. I suspect most differences felt are psychological.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been buying cars for 30+ years, and never had a 'dull' one - started with a Mk1 Golf GTi, Mk2 RS2000, 205GTi, Type Rs, Maserati,Fiat, Ferrari, Sti, gullwing Merc (Brabus), Subarus, Porsche (multiple GTs and others), McLaren, Lambo (new and old), 8C, Integrale, 918, Jaguar, R8, multiple Audi RS, Focus RS. don't know how many in total, I'm sure others have lots more.
Out of all of them, values aside, pick one car, and it's the R, without question for me, (as a road car). Not saying a CGT or something wouldn't top it, but you'd also lose a lot of the useability. All round, there's nothing out there I can think of that does it all. (Removable Back seats would be perfect...)

(Drove it 2000 miles then took it apart and repainted it the way I wanted, drove another 4000miles+ so far, and it will never be sold. So, pretty sure I'm not trying to talk up the value...).

Quick Reply: Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?