Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Impressive.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
We have seen an average of about 4000-4500 track miles on the 991 GT3 PCCBs, it all depends on the driver and the track. Most every GT car to come through our shop at this point is getting the Surface Transforms Rotors. We have all our guys now spec'ing their new .2 GT3's with steel brakes, as we are simply switching them over to the ST rotors when they come here. For all those interested in running carbon ceramics I'd recommend following suit as the ST rotors are far superior in performance to steels. Versus the PCCBs....they operate at a much lower temperature (about 200 degrees less) so they last longer and have less wear on pads, they are half the price of PCCB's for a new set of rotors, and they are REFURBISHABLE with an average life expectancy of 15k track miles.
Sorry for a newbie question, but every time i see this topic its always about the rotors. What about the calipers? Do you keep the same calipers (in my instance the red steel/iron ones) and install different pads? How does someone with buyers remorse and yellow caliper envy get the yellow caliper look?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I rebuilt a few calipers on old cars and the cost was about $900 to repaint the calipers.

I have the Surface Transform rotors on steel Red Calipers with the appropriate pads. Awesome stopping power and just as important, consistent from the first lap to the last lap and now I have clean wheels as a bonus :-)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Sorry for a newbie question, but every time i see this topic its always about the rotors. What about the calipers? Do you keep the same calipers (in my instance the red steel/iron ones) and install different pads? How does someone with buyers remorse and yellow caliper envy get the yellow caliper look?
The red steel and yellow PCCB calipers are actually the same caliper, albeit the PCCB calipers are spaced out differently to accept the larger ceramic rotor. The ST rotors can be installed on the red steel calipers with a spacer and bolt kit that we supply from ST for the steel conversions. For your reference we are also bumping the rotor diameter up to 410mm in the front and 400mm in the rear with the ST rotors. Now if you have yellow caliper envy...just have them painted yellow and you are good to go. We've done that on several cars, in fact the white GT4 we have for sale right not was originally a steel caliper car that we had painted yellow.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
The red steel and yellow PCCB calipers are actually the same caliper, albeit the PCCB calipers are spaced out differently to accept the larger ceramic rotor. The ST rotors can be installed on the red steel calipers with a spacer and bolt kit that we supply from ST for the steel conversions. For your reference we are also bumping the rotor diameter up to 410mm in the front and 400mm in the rear with the ST rotors. Now if you have yellow caliper envy...just have them painted yellow and you are good to go. We've done that on several cars, in fact the white GT4 we have for sale right not was originally a steel caliper car that we had painted yellow.
Any plans for ST rotors for the base 991.2 Carrera / Carrera T?

sean
Old 01-25-2018, 04:32 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Marto
I optioned PCCB for my GT3 (pick up later this week) with mainly street use in mind but I will take it to the track on occasion. My question is not intended to get into whether or not PCCB is the right choice (too late for that), worth the money or performs better or worse than iron, rather to seek out opinions on switching back and forth between PCCB and iron.

Many people swap PCCB for iron to save PCCB for resale, or run PCCB until they wear out and replace with iron but does anyone regularly swap PCCB with iron for the track then back to PCCB for the street? I may be completely off track (!!!) but it seems to me there are benefits in swapping, if planning to keep the car for long enough to expect to have to replace discs anyway. Extended life of PCCB to enjoy on the street and reduced costs by using iron on the track, 4 to 6 days per year. I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours swapping discs & pads before and after a track weekend so no additional costs in that - well, calliper studs, hoses and maybe a beer...

It seems most run one or the other but does running both make sense to anyone else ?

Cheers...

Have you seen our upcoming front/rear complete Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit? It's as close as one can get to what the 911 RSR factory racecar runs in IMSA.

Our kit will solve a bunch of issues with the OEM brakes, regardless of whether or not they're iron or PCCB. In terms of your specific questions:

1. You won't have to remove calipers when switching pads. It will take you far longer to raise the car and remove the wheels than it will to change pads. You also won't be constantly tightening a bolt into your aluminum spindles, and you won't have to constantly disconnect the brake hose.

2. Not only will you preserve your OEM PCCB discs, you'll preserve your OEM calipers. They won't get faded, chipped, piston problems, cracked dust boots, etc. You stick them on the shelf with the PCCB discs, and they're fresh when you go to sell the car. It won't look like it was ragged-out on the track.

3. Discs are a consumable item, regardless of their material composition. Our iron disc rings will cost a fraction of what any carbon material will cost, so your long-term disc costs will remain low. Our iron discs are going to last a long time anyway, so you're not going to be changing them often. It's not uncommon for those who run 8 track days per year to get a couple seasons out of the first set.

4. The AP Racing calipers are considerably lighter than stock, so you'll have some of the benefits of PCCB's. Our kit should shave about 24 lbs. from the car vs. the OEM iron system, so you're getting a nice chunk of the weight savings that you got from the OEM PCCB's.

5. Huge array of pad choice. The AP Racing calipers we're using have pad shapes produced by just about every major manufacturer. You'll have more choices than you do with the OEM pad shapes, and you can adjust feel to your taste.

6. Fits in smaller wheels- Our setup uses discs that are smaller than OEM PCCB's, and will fit inside 19" wheels, opening up lighter weight wheel/tire options.

7. Residual value (this may be the most compelling one of all)- Our complete front/rear system with calipers, pads, discs, and all mounting hardware will be $11,000. Our systems typically retain about 60-70% of their original MSRP when sold on the used market. That means you buy them, and beat on them for a few years until it's time to buy your next car. At that time, you pull them off the car and collect $7,000...and you still have your OEM PCCB discs and calipers minty fresh on the shelf. You get to enjoy all of the kit's benefits during ownership, and you collect a nice payment when you sell your car, rather than buying OEM parts to put on the car only to hand it over to the next owner (or selling the car at a diminished value because the brakes are thrashed).

8. Lower pad and disc wear rates and general heat-related wear and tear- Our systems run much cooler than the OEM equipment. That means pads last longer, discs last longer, dust boots, piston seals, and pistons last longer. Brake fluid runs cooler and doesn't need to be bled as often. Everything around the brakes stays cooler (ball joints, etc.).

Our kit offers a huge list of benefits in terms of both performance and economics. The residual value of the calipers really pushes it over the top though. The AP racing calipers take an incredible beating on the track and remain in great shape. As such, our kits really hold their value well, and we've seen them passed along through several owners before they ever need to be serviced. That is not true of the factory units. Once you beat them up, you're going to be paying to either rebuild or replace them either during ownership, or when it's time to sell the car. You'll also spend far less time fiddling with your brakes. Swapping pads is a total breeze, the discs are going to last a very long time before they need to be swapped, and you won't need to bleed the brakes as frequently due to lower running temps. That means between track sessions you're hanging out drinking a water, rather than lying under the car cursing and bleeding.

We've seen this situation a whole bunch of times among C7 Z06 owners. Those who have switched say our system is one of the best modifications they've ever made to their car. You can see some of their comments in the threads below. Keep in mind these are typically 650-1000 HP, 3750 lbs. with driver, big aero, and huge tires...and our kit for the C7 Z06 uses smaller discs than what we're using on the 991 GT3!!! (372x34mm front / 365x30mm rear on the vette, vs. 394x34mm F and 380x32mm rear).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shipping.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-thread.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-upgrade.html
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-25-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

We also offer Essex Designed AP Racing 2-piece J Hook discs that replace the PCCB discs. Our two-piece discs in the OEM PCCB sizes weigh about the same as the OEM iron 380mm discs, so not a terrible weight penalty. They would be the lower cost alternative to my post above about the complete brake kit. I showed the complete system first because I believe it offers by far the most convenience and lowest long-term running costs out of any available option, which is something you seemed to be focusing heavily on. Good luck with your choice, and feel free to email, PM, or call with any questions at any time.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:08 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Any plans for ST rotors for the base 991.2 Carrera / Carrera T?

sean
Nothing confirmed as of yet Sean but I should have an update on that in the near future : )
Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes a requirement if you owned a 911 with them before. 97,000 miles on PCCB here still on stock pads, epic brakes, stunning appearance and the 44 lbs off all four corners is HUGE.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks guys, for this extremely informative thread. Let's hope the Rennlist search engine can find this in the future, because many of us will have these same questions going forward, including me, looking for my next 911 which will be a used late model.
Enough late model 911s now have PCCB that we shoppers have this additional dilemma - we can judge steel brakes by looking at the rotors and measuring thickness of the pads and rotors. But with PCCB many of us are clueless, and we are very nervous when it comes to PCCB because they are very expensive to replace. THE QUESTION is how do we judge the wear and remaining life of PCCB brakes? How can we judge the condition of PCCB?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

As i posted in another thread, i have the pccb’s and with 23,000 miles the service guy at my dealer said the pads are basically like new. That includes 2 track days, although both were pretty light. For a couple track days a year, no need to swap pccb’s out. The rotors will be tested tomorrow, so i will report back on those readings too.

Great brakes on the track, no brake dust and less weight. The car is optimal with them imo.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Thanks guys, for this extremely informative thread. Let's hope the Rennlist search engine can find this in the future, because many of us will have these same questions going forward, including me, looking for my next 911 which will be a used late model.
Enough late model 911s now have PCCB that we shoppers have this additional dilemma - we can judge steel brakes by looking at the rotors and measuring thickness of the pads and rotors. But with PCCB many of us are clueless, and we are very nervous when it comes to PCCB because they are very expensive to replace. THE QUESTION is how do we judge the wear and remaining life of PCCB brakes? How can we judge the condition of PCCB?
I believe the rotors have to be weighed to get an accurate idea of it's condition, maybe someone else can elaborate on this who has done it...
Old 02-02-2018, 04:55 AM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great contributions here. Re. my original question, I have decided to "suck it and see" for a while. That is, leave the PCCB on for both road and track and assess wear rates in a couple of years. There are some great options being brought up here and who knows what else may be available by the time I need to make a decision...
Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a 991.2 GT3 incoming with Steel brakes and would like to buy a rotor/pad combination to gain the performance of PCCBs. I understand there are Silicon, Carbon, Ceramic and other materials that rival PCCB performance but have the extra caliper-to-barrel space of the Steels.

Any experiences?
Thank you
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Marto
Great contributions here. Re. my original question, I have decided to "suck it and see" for a while. That is, leave the PCCB on for both road and track and assess wear rates in a couple of years. There are some great options being brought up here and who knows what else may be available by the time I need to make a decision...
It all depends on how much you track. Its a but complicated to prove the condition of the PCCB when you sell the car if its been tracked more than a couple track days per year.
Its less risky to have the PCCB available to sell the car with the rotors never been tracked and be sure you wont have to cough up the $25K if you manage to kill them by tracking.

Originally Posted by Perimeter
I have a 991.2 GT3 incoming with Steel brakes and would like to buy a rotor/pad combination to gain the performance of PCCBs. I understand there are Silicon, Carbon, Ceramic and other materials that rival PCCB performance but have the extra caliper-to-barrel space of the Steels.
Any experiences?
Thank you
Tons of 991.2 GT3's here with the (bigger then PCCB) ST rotors, even on 19" that get tracked a lot.
There are only two manufacturers of CCB; Brembo (with different finishes) and ST.

If you don't track, steel is more then you will ever need and your PCCB will last forever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB / Iron regular swapping