991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB / Iron regular swapping

Old 03-13-2018, 04:45 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the stock PCCBs were also refurbishable albeit not five times. Is this information correct? I thought it was posted in another thread where they were sent out to the UK?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaytun
I thought the stock PCCBs were also refurbishable albeit not five times. Is this information correct? I thought it was posted in another thread where they were sent out to the UK?
PCCB's cannot be safely refurbished as they oxidize carbon and lose structural integrity throughout the rotor over time. Refurbishing the surface of a PCCB rotor (or any conventional Brembo/SGL ceramic rotor) cannot add carbon back into the core of the rotor to replenish the structural integrity that was lost. It's not how the rotor looks that matters, it is whether or not it still has the carbon content to be safe to use. This is why the Surface Transforms ceramic rotors are so beneficial versus the conventional rotors, as the manufacturing of the rotor limits oxidation to the surface of the rotor. This allows for refurbishment of the rotor surface while maintaining the integrity of the rotor core.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Yes a requirement if you owned a 911 with them before. 97,000 miles on PCCB here still on stock pads, epic brakes, stunning appearance and the 44 lbs off all four corners is HUGE.
That's impressive. Which year and model do you have it on? How much track use?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
PCCB's cannot be safely refurbished as they oxidize carbon and lose structural integrity throughout the rotor over time. Refurbishing the surface of a PCCB rotor (or any conventional Brembo/SGL ceramic rotor) cannot add carbon back into the core of the rotor to replenish the structural integrity that was lost. It's not how the rotor looks that matters, it is whether or not it still has the carbon content to be safe to use. This is why the Surface Transforms ceramic rotors are so beneficial versus the conventional rotors, as the manufacturing of the rotor limits oxidation to the surface of the rotor. This allows for refurbishment of the rotor surface while maintaining the integrity of the rotor core.
I was speaking to the Brembo rep at Geneva auto show yesterday... this guy was actually from the race division, and had really interesting knowledge and perspective. I got to see how different f1 Carbon is from road applications. We then spoke about Porsche vs Ferrari specs, why pccb are shiny and Ferrari's rotors are dull, how people don't trust longevity on the pccb's and how they switch to iron rotors for track work... etc etc. I Also had gotten to see how Pagani brake ducts work with their inside to outside radial cooling having spent some days at their factory this week, so getting his perspective on how differently each OEM builds brakes was especially fascinating. I asked about the damn bridge construction which stops us from changing pads easily st the track and he just again mentioned how each OEM comes to them with certain specs.. this was done for rigidity reasons etc etc.. but they recognize the reduced utility. still Great stuff overall, learned a lot. They aren't in love with surface transforms for obvious competitive reasons, but respectful of the technology. Here are some pics in lieu of details.. pictures are more fun than words anyway.

I almost forgot. I directed him to the "PCCB facts and feedback thread" here on Rennlist.. let him know if he wants to understand what the market is thinking.. he should start on page one and read the whole thing ;-)
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Agent_Orange (06-22-2019)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Good idea on pointing out the thread.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Looking through the threads with real data on this, you’ll see you can likely expect about 40 days from the PCCBs. Thats 5 years at 8 days a year. I’m not sure the elbow grease is worth it.

also, the PCCBs are sublime in terms of perfectly consistent feel under heavy braking every time. Steel “works” just as well, but the feel is not there on the edge of ABS.
Would you use OEM pads on PCCBs if you track or other pads?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The only pads other than the factory pads we've used with success on PCCB rotors for track use have been Pagid RSC1
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I was speaking to the Brembo rep at Geneva auto show yesterday... this guy was actually from the race division, and had really interesting knowledge and perspective. I got to see how different f1 Carbon is from road applications. We then spoke about Porsche vs Ferrari specs, why pccb are shiny and Ferrari's rotors are dull, how people don't trust longevity on the pccb's and how they switch to iron rotors for track work... etc etc. I Also had gotten to see how Pagani brake ducts work with their inside to outside radial cooling having spent some days at their factory this week, so getting his perspective on how differently each OEM builds brakes was especially fascinating. I asked about the damn bridge construction which stops us from changing pads easily st the track and he just again mentioned how each OEM comes to them with certain specs.. this was done for rigidity reasons etc etc.. but they recognize the reduced utility. still Great stuff overall, learned a lot. They aren't in love with surface transforms for obvious competitive reasons, but respectful of the technology. Here are some pics in lieu of details.. pictures are more fun than words anyway.

I almost forgot. I directed him to the "PCCB facts and feedback thread" here on Rennlist.. let him know if he wants to understand what the market is thinking.. he should start on page one and read the whole thing ;-)
I would LOVE to see some photos of the Pagani brake ducting, I bet that was very impressive. Almost as impressive as how you manage to get yourself into these incredible educational scenarios everywhere you go haha
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
I would LOVE to see some photos of the Pagani brake ducting, I bet that was very impressive. Almost as impressive as how you manage to get yourself into these incredible educational scenarios everywhere you go haha
I bet we could find some pics online. If not I'll go back in May and get some detail pics of things I'm allowed to share publicly. I can say thatThe Zonda didn't have this, but the Huayra has these amazing suspension uprights, which mold in attachments for brake ducts which unlike most cars, will flow air from the center of the rotor to the outside. So central flow out to radial. Brembo rep confirmed that while this is a hideously expensive solution, that it provides even cooling enabling lighter rotors, lighter weight, and a whole set of positive knock-on effects. This is such a bespoke solution for the Huayra he doesn't see anyone spending the money to do it.. . The calipers Brembo makes for pagani are also totally different, shaved down, designed to a level much greater than the others.. Horacio himself dictated every curve. In comparison the Ferrari tdf and Porsche 918 calipers looked positively dollar store in comparison. having spent days there. And seen first hand the maniacal attention to detail of how each bolt for the Pagani factory trussed was designed.. by mr pagani himself, I can believe they go to extreme lengths to do something amazing for their cars. I saw deep into the factory departments, and I can tell you that innovation and granular detail are Omni-present. You look at how they law their carbon and the unique techniques they use to vacuum seal it, oh my god.. it's like they're making a painting... results show in the finished product. I left with the distinct sensation that there is more value baked into each pagani than any other brand.. meaning, they pay no attention to costs, even if it reduces their margins.. each piece is utterly obsessed over... each tiny bolt.. has a story. It's mind-boggling, and I can comfortably say that if you have $2M to spend on a car, buying a Paganj is more like buying an obscenely complicated watch which you can pass on to future generations, vs a plastic mass produced hypercar... they have details inside and out you could look at for years. but I've gone way off-topic.

How I do it?... I'm just a friendly **** with a mustache.. and I'm curious AF!
Attached Images           

Last edited by CAlexio; 03-13-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm just a friendly **** with a mustache.. and I'm curious AF.
LOL is that you scouring under a car at Geneva? If so, I wish someone had taken a picture of me under a 991.2 GTS trying to get part numbers off the turbos at the New York Auto Show...I bet we looked like peas in a pod.

I can't believe the detail on those Pagani's, I'm not sure I could see myself ever leaving that factory once they let me in. The presentation of that Huayra is Breathtaking!

Last edited by Autoquest Motorsport; 03-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

LOL, I’m disappointed we haven’t gotten underbody detail shots from the .2RS haha..
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL, I’m disappointed we haven’t gotten underbody detail shots from the .2RS haha..
It's probably on some rotisserie surrounded by ropes. Knowing CAlexio though, we'll find some article in the news "Man that snuck past security found under new RS"
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I was looking at the new independent front suspension setup of the g63... it's all about the details.

I wish I could have taken pics inside porsche Leipzig during ED... Jesus, it's like a robot dystopian nightmare.... humans seem so.. useless there. Best part was a panamera sport turismo hybrid body getting married to its chassis.. precision which could thread a needle on the moon.
Attached Images     
Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I got ~ 5 days out of the OEM pads which were, honestly, fantastic. I just swapped to Pagid RSC01 for last track day. The pagids have a lot less bite than OEM when cold around town, and I didn't notice a difference when hot. I don't know what the wear will look like yet.

OEM ain't broke...
Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It all depends on how much you track. Its a but complicated to prove the condition of the PCCB when you sell the car if its been tracked more than a couple track days per year.
Its less risky to have the PCCB available to sell the car with the rotors never been tracked and be sure you wont have to cough up the $25K if you manage to kill them by tracking.

Tons of 991.2 GT3's here with the (bigger then PCCB) ST rotors, even on 19" that get tracked a lot.
There are only two manufacturers of CCB; Brembo (with different finishes) and ST.

If you don't track, steel is more then you will ever need and your PCCB will last forever.
Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB / Iron regular swapping