Sponsored by:

.2 GT3 - Oil Overfill Warning came on AFTER driving car for a month

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Hooray! The weather finally allowed me to start the car for a short drive this afternoon. Huge puff of smoke upon startup.
Seven mile drive and no oil overfill warning. Yay!
A huge puff of smoke? I guess the new rings in the .2 i heard about didn’t solve that issue. Oh well, character lol.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A huge puff of smoke? I guess the new rings in the .2 i heard about didn’t solve that issue. Oh well, character lol.
After a drive I normally let the engine idle for a while before turning it off. Even on my .1 GT3 and 991RS it more often than not resulted in the next cold start being smokeless. It’s worked on the .2 GT3 as well. The last time I started it was to take the car outside for a quick icy photo and then a quick tuck away back in the garage. I didn’t follow my idle down process. Maybe thats why the puff of smoke. Ah well... I’m happy for it
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Overfill indicator is normal for these. It drives me crazy, but it's part of the game with good ole' Porsche digital dipstick. I've had that come on a stay for 3 weeks before.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Haku

After a drive I normally let the engine idle for a while before turning it off. Even on my .1 GT3 and 991RS it more often than not resulted in the next cold start being smokeless. It’s worked on the .2 GT3 as well. The last time I started it was to take the car outside for a quick icy photo and then a quick tuck away back in the garage. I didn’t follow my idle down process. Maybe thats why the puff of smoke. Ah well... I’m happy for it
Not a problem when mine does it, either. Part of the nature of the beast! But i will try your approach and see. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

So far no overfill warning this time. When i did the oil change i added 7 quarts only. Nothing more, and just let the situation settle. Oil level is perfect. Previous times i would add 7, test drive it, and then check reading, which was always a bar or two low. Adding that extra 1/2 quart would eventually cause the overflow. Now i will just add 7 quarts and call it a day.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Day one, after 550km it showed one mark below completely full. Day 2, after 900km it showed completely full. Day 3, after 1350km it was back to one mark below completely full. Day 4, right after start up, got the overfull warning. I am kind of learning to take the oil level measurement with a pinch of salt...
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That's probably why we don't get an analog gauge or a dipstick with the GT3 (analog gauge would confuse many folks while driving and dipstick would read wrong if checked with engine off). Electronic gauge while crappy, does prevent this confusion (even tells you if the car is parked at too large an angle for accurate reading or not warm enough)...

Many people checked the dipstick with the engine off in the air-cooled era and got very wrong impression of the oil level (as well as reading the gauge while driving).
Whoa... On all of my previous cars I've always checked the dipstick with the engine off for several minutes (but still warm) and filled close to, but a bit below, the max level indicator - is that wrong?

+1 on "where's the dipstick" - why the heck does Porsche hate dipsticks? Please don't tell me for weight saving...
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Marto
Day one, after 550km it showed one mark below completely full. Day 2, after 900km it showed completely full. Day 3, after 1350km it was back to one mark below completely full. Day 4, right after start up, got the overfull warning. I am kind of learning to take the oil level measurement with a pinch of salt...
As I said before, that electronic oil gauge is just plain bad..........

only good advice is stay above the minimum, that's it.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Whoa... On all of my previous cars I've always checked the dipstick with the engine off for several minutes (but still warm) and filled close to, but a bit below, the max level indicator - is that wrong?
Yes, that’s wrong if you owned dry-sump models (all air-cooled 911’s and several water-cooled models).
Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Blame it on Porsche's pathetic attempt at getting rid of the dip stick.

Their electronic measuring system never worked. Ever. Across like 5 generations.

Porsche mechanics ALL hated it.
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
As I said before, that electronic oil gauge is just plain bad..........

only good advice is stay above the minimum, that's it.
I cant believe this failure hasn't been fixed in the second generation!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I cant believe this failure hasn't been fixed in the second generation!
Actually I believe the one in the .2 GT3 is gen 5 already. If not the 6th generation of the electronic dip stick.

The one in the 918 is 10x times more annoying. I need to read the owners manual each time just to figure out how to measure the oil level. Flying the space shuttle is less complicated. It also calls for 'blipping' the throttle to get the rpm over 3k. But a gentle 'blip' will never do it, I had to mash the damn thing to the bottom just to have the ECU recognizes the 'blip'.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I mentioned at the track this weekend that someone can make a fortune by hacking the minimum PSI settings and make the oil level sensor a quart accurate!

Between low fuel warning at half a tank with 50 miles to empty, TPM warnings and Oil level warning, even when the car is perfect we have messages 3 messages blipping on the dash.. so unneeded, annoying and distracting.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:18 AM
robmypro
Race Director

I mentioned at the track this weekend that someone can make a fortune by hacking the minimum PSI settings and make the oil level sensor a quart accurate!

Between low fuel warning at half a tank with 50 miles to empty, TPM warnings and Oil level warning, even when the car is perfect we have messages 3 messages blipping on the dash.. so unneeded, annoying and distracting.
So true Peter. Only annoying thing about these cars.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The TPMS stuff is a bad joke. 26 psi min? Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 - Oil Overfill Warning came on AFTER driving car for a month