Sponsored by:

The edge of adhesion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default The edge of adhesion...

Okay, I've got my flame suit on here. In addition to a 981 Spyder, I also have a 2014 Shelby GT500. The Shelby has some suspension modifications, an mgw shifter, and lower gears than stock. Nothing has been done to the motor, pulleys, Etc. Anyway, it's a complete Beast, and the suspension mods I've done have made it handle really well. I didn't know what to expect when I purchased the car, but it's turned out to be perfect over a five-year period, with no other trips to the shop than the mods that I mentioned and routine maintenance. Anyway, I've had this car in my garage for a month or so and have really enjoyed driving it hard, but never without the nannies engaged, feeling the raw power but also having the ability to stick in turns.
Today I traded out the Shelby for my 981 Spyder, and it fits like a glove. Completely Supple, gorgeous interior, slick shifter, Etc, and.....here goes, I was feeling a little bit bored while driving it today. I hate to even say it, it feels like sacrilege. But the car is so good that it's almost too easy to drive. I guess my point is this: if I like the GT500, will a GT3 suit me better than the 981 Spyder? I'm at a good place in line at a trusted dealership, so I think I'll be able to get one, but the question is whether or not it will suit my needs and driving style. I probably won't take it to the track, but we have some really awesome Mountain Roads where I live, in a pretty unpopulated state. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:24 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Drive a GT3 if you're able to.

I'm pretty certain you won't pine for the 981 or even the GT500.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

You are going to love the new GT3. Even the previous one is a joy on mountain roads. But I would get the manual if you are going to mostly drive it on the street. The PDK comes alive on the track.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
You are going to love the new GT3. Even the previous one is a joy on mountain roads. But I would get the manual if you are going to mostly drive it on the street. The PDK comes alive on the track.
We read over and over about owners getting a bit bored with their GT cars on the road. I had a spyder like you and I loved the manual.. that made me have to connect with the car every moment rather than sit back and let it do the work. Go gt3 if you want the extra power.. but go manual. the engagement from the open-top mid-engine spyder May be hard to beat though.. I'm about to find out for myself.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
We read over and over about owners getting a bit bored with their GT cars on the road. I had a spyder like you and I loved the manual.. that made me have to connect with the car every moment rather than sit back and let it do the work. Go gt3 if you want the extra power.. but go manual. the engagement from the open-top mid-engine spyder May be hard to beat though.. I'm about to find out for myself.
Yoy will love everything about it but the exhaust. (0nly in comparison).Very few Porsches sound as good as the GT4/Spyder especially if modified. I am playing around with some bypasses to get close-and I am not talking about volume because GT3 louder
Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I first heard the stock exhaust note of the GT4, I was surprised it sounded better than the GT3. How is this possible ?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Yoy will love everything about it but the exhaust. (0nly in comparison).Very few Porsches sound as good as the GT4/Spyder especially if modified. I am playing around with some bypasses to get close-and I am not talking about volume because GT3 louder
Originally Posted by 0to60
When I first heard the stock exhaust note of the GT4, I was surprised it sounded better than the GT3. How is this possible ?
so true.. with sport headers it sounded "brassy"... like a Ferrari with an actual note.. i may have to repurchase a car with that engine and mid-placement again at some point. I'm excited about the whole gt3 manual experience, but if a new gt4 with the same engine comes out.. i may not hold on long.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I love being a contrarian. In 4 years I've never, not even once, been bored driving my PDK-S equipped GT3 on the road, or anywhere else. And if I were to buy a new 991.2 GT3, I'd almost certainly order it with PDK as well. There, I said it.....
Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Sound is important but feel is more important to me. Is the GT3 more of a rush to drive than the Spyder? Would any of you owners prefer if the car had the torque of a GTS?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Okay, I've got my flame suit on here. In addition to a 981 Spyder, I also have a 2014 Shelby GT500. The Shelby has some suspension modifications, an mgw shifter, and lower gears than stock. Nothing has been done to the motor, pulleys, Etc. Anyway, it's a complete Beast, and the suspension mods I've done have made it handle really well. I didn't know what to expect when I purchased the car, but it's turned out to be perfect over a five-year period, with no other trips to the shop than the mods that I mentioned and routine maintenance. Anyway, I've had this car in my garage for a month or so and have really enjoyed driving it hard, but never without the nannies engaged, feeling the raw power but also having the ability to stick in turns.
Today I traded out the Shelby for my 981 Spyder, and it fits like a glove. Completely Supple, gorgeous interior, slick shifter, Etc, and.....here goes, I was feeling a little bit bored while driving it today. I hate to even say it, it feels like sacrilege. But the car is so good that it's almost too easy to drive. I guess my point is this: if I like the GT500, will a GT3 suit me better than the 981 Spyder? I'm at a good place in line at a trusted dealership, so I think I'll be able to get one, but the question is whether or not it will suit my needs and driving style. I probably won't take it to the track, but we have some really awesome Mountain Roads where I live, in a pretty unpopulated state. Thoughts?
No. I think the AMG GT S (or AMG GT R), or maybe even the C7 Corvette Clubsport would suit you better.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I can't imagine ever being bored of driving my Spyder. Ever. It's just an epic car, and the fact that it lacks the grip of even my old Carrera S makes it all the more interesting to drive. I took my wife for a short ride in mine today. She hadn't been in this one yet and really isn't interested much in my car hobby. But as we pulled back into our street, after saying almost nothing the whole time, she said, 'this really is an awesome car.'
Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had 996 GT3 and then 997.1 RS, eventually made my way to a GT4 and while it was a lovely car, I REALLY missed the GT3 with it's more substantial engine, super high RPM, and mega grip pulling out of corners. I never really liked the sound of the GT4 in comparison and can't wait to get my new GT3 with manual. I've owned a Z28 too (which I loved the engine of BTW) and hope the new GT3 will wipe away all memories of that!! I say, go GT3!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I can't imagine ever being bored of driving my Spyder. Ever. It's just an epic car, and the fact that it lacks the grip of even my old Carrera S makes it all the more interesting to drive. I took my wife for a short ride in mine today. She hadn't been in this one yet and really isn't interested much in my car hobby. But as we pulled back into our street, after saying almost nothing the whole time, she said, 'this really is an awesome car.'
It's an awesome car, for sure. Just not sure anyone could say it's edgy.
My wife loves mine too - in fact, her exact words when I had her drive it were "How is it possible that this drives nicer than our 7 series?" Even though it's not a luxury car, I understand what she's getting at. It's smooth as silk in everything it does. And even though the exhaust sounds really good for a stock system, it's tepid compared to the Fabspeed setup on my 993.
As for the comments about the Corvette, I've toyed with the idea. But they have quality issues and even the Z06 I drove didn't seem to have as much grunt as my Shelby. It gets power to the ground a bit better, at least compared to stock, but it's not as angry. As for the AMG-GT, no MT. No MT = no go. Anyone have experience with Superformance Cobras or Ariel Atom?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty crazy jump from a Porsche to an Aeriel Atom, which is basically a car version of a bike. I hear what you are saying though...my track prepped Lotus is more intense of a drive in 90% of street situations, but I can drive my Porsche for hours on end, whereas the Lotus I've had enough after an hour.

So it depends how you plan to use the car.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Sound is important but feel is more important to me. Is the GT3 more of a rush to drive than the Spyder? Would any of you owners prefer if the car had the torque of a GTS?
No. For me the GT3 and RS need to be as close to the racecars as possible. THAT is the yardstick. Torque figures are virtually irrelevant !

Quick Reply: The edge of adhesion...