Thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking out loud

Hey Guys ,
I haven't spent a lot of time on the board in a while while I ponder what to do with my 991 RS . I had some reluctance to buy it when my allocation came up , but went ahead with it anyway . The car got built the way I like them with fairly low spec ( no lift , chrono ,radio etc . ) and a fair amount of CXX stuff , but to be honest the car isn't me . It's a little ( well - a lot ) too much flash for me . I stuck it in a Carcoon and never drove it . Now I'd like to go back to something more my style - maybe a late G series ( 87-89 ) 964 , or 993 - maybe a 2S . Comparisons among these cars are beyond apples and oranges , but was curious if anyone else had a similar experience . ? The one nice thing that came out of the whole experience was curing myself of wanting to get on the treadmill of wanting every new GT car due out .
Regards,
Bryan
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Life is short and should not be taken for granted. Sell/Trade the RS and buy what you desire and makes you happy.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulation, I too was on the treadmill and am now off. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine and getting a Macan.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Life is short and should not be taken for granted. Sell/Trade the RS and buy what you desire and makes you happy.
This. I am getting off of the treadmill too. Not worth the aggravation.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Do what pleases you, cars come and go. Stop reading Internet forums and the buzz from the latest and greatest will disappear like a headache after taking a couple Tylenol. I haven’t taken delivery and I’m thinking when best to sell.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I love my RS on the Track, but every time I drive it on the street it's just annoying. Not the car, it's still great, but other people. The car is just a magnet for douchebaggery and now I find I'm trailering the RS to to track and never driving it out on the street. I look forward to the GT3 touring for the street as it will be much more subtle. Get what you like and enjoy it!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Don't swear it, GT cars aren't for everyone and I applaud you for trying the .1RS and admitting that it's not for you. Great car but just not your style. Get rid of it, get what you want and enjoy!!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:29 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
The one nice thing that came out of the whole experience was curing myself of wanting to get on the treadmill of wanting every new GT car due out.
Great way to put it.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

My Dealer always tells me how some of their bigger Customers want a GT3/RS car only to return them within a year because not for them. He is always telling them to get the Turbo S which is a rockitship plus quit supple
Old 01-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

My Dealer always tells me how some of their bigger Customers want a GT3/RS car only to return them within a year because not for them. He is always telling them to get the Turbo S which is a rockitship plus quit supple
Which is why I am hanging on to my 997.2 TTS as well.... does everything, checks all the boxes.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sell it and buy whatever you are going to drive. Does not matter if Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, whatever. Just drive.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:31 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Always follow what tugs at your heartstrings and not others - nothing wrong with wanting to get out of the RS for something else

I hope to add an air cooled 911 to accompany my GT3 in the future so I get it. Haven't made a "switch" from a new GT car to an older air cooled per se, but every time I get in my father's 993 I can't stop smiling, there is an intangible charm with the older models that is so refreshing to experience
Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Conversely I'm coming from a 991.2 TTS and before that a 991.1 TT...
While these "true Turbos" are wonderful in many respects, for me they did not illicit much driving passion or excitement. They do everything so numbingly well. Sure, launching 0-60 in 2.5 secs was violent fun, but even that became a one trick pony after a while.
The BIG WING GT3 has zero appeal to me, been there done that, the opportunity of a a GT3 Touring allocation was an offer I just couldn't refuse. I really tried.
End of the day you only live once...

Old 01-07-2018, 03:08 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting a car that is all the rage is only temporary and may not fit your desires and will always be more that your needs.. The glit and glamour of the .2GT3 will be over within 1.5 years and the 2020 cars will get all the attention. Your seeing this with the ,1 RS. There are of course a few exceptions of people who truly use the cars on the track or like to drive around in race cars on the streets. I am speaking in general as there may be several other possibilities.

I am struggling with a similar decision myself. A allocation is available to me for the .2GT3 with PTS and while the car will end up @ 200k with ADM I would be hard pressed to push this thing on the track or park it in the city for dinner and relax let alone give the keys to a valet. It is a large amount of money for me to parade around in that manner. On the flip side a Carrera T @110k nicely optioned I could have just as much fun with and not worry about where to park it or when to drive it. A base Carerra with S options may not be the hit at C&C or do well at the track or be the buzz in the 991 sub-forum but I think it may fit my purposes just fine.

Maybe I just made up my mind in typing this reply, but good luck to you as your sort out your decision. Air cooled cars are still a lot of fun, the trouble is finding the right one. =)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:18 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Life is too short and there are way to many cars to give a try. I just got my GT3 a couple weeks ago, and jury is still out as to how it will stack up. If I'm not loving it in the next six months, it will go and something else will take its place...missing 3-pedals more than I figured, so GT3 3-pedal or something else with 3-pedals....not going to hijack your thread, so back to your post....move it on to someone for someone else to give it a go and fill its spot with the next thing you want to try.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud