Sponsored by:

Went to the track yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Went to the track yesterday....

Went out with a bunch of friends yesterday. There were two new manual GT3’s in attendance, plus a GT4 and an e46 M3. The track was pretty slippery (new asphalt in many places - very green), so hard to get any good lap times. I struggled for grip, but having tires with 10,000 miles on them also didn’t help. It was around 50 degrees.

A few observations. First, the new GT3 sounds great with the stock exhaust. Really mean. Easily the best sounding car at the track imo. So i would wait on getting an exhaust until you have some time with yours. Second, the new GT3’s are definitely quick. The best driver in our group felt he could drop a second or two at our track, versus what he had run with his .1. And this was with the manual. And lastly, the manual is going to be a real handful at the track. Don’t underestimate this car your first time out.

Overall very impressed with the .2’s. They had a “mean” attitude to them that the .1’s don’t really have. I can see now where the black exterior bits come from. The .2’s are definitely more aggressive in looks, sound and performance. Porsche nailed it again.

Conclusion? It might be time for headers on my lowly .1! My neighbors are going to kill me.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Rob, I think your assessment is spot on! Appreciate hearing that from a fellow .1 owner... as that's the exact reason I went with a .2, I do feel they have a more aggressive look to them and am looking forward to getting her on track in the next couple weeks.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Right on Rob, GT3 is as advertised! Andrew ran 1:57 with me as a passenger! I think he was running 1:58 in the .1GT3.

Will be interesting see how much time is dropped at other tracks around the country- our new asphalt is a big variable to previous times posted. Would be interesting to have Andrew Drive both cars back to back with new tires.

I know in the GT4 group, the quickest time posted was 2:01 (not by me- I wish!) and I'd expect that time to be a few seconds slower with the new track at this time. Might be quicker towards the end of 2018 though.

I need new tires badly

lots of fun!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Were you guys out at HPR? Man you guys gotta invite me next time!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Rob, I think your assessment is spot on! Appreciate hearing that from a fellow .1 owner... as that's the exact reason I went with a .2, I do feel they have a more aggressive look to them and am looking forward to getting her on track in the next couple weeks.

Best Regards,
Dave
You are in for a treat, Dave.

Originally Posted by Buteo
Right on Rob, GT3 is as advertised! Andrew ran 1:57 with me as a passenger! I think he was running 1:58 in the .1GT3.

Will be interesting see how much time is dropped at other tracks around the country- our new asphalt is a big variable to previous times posted. Would be interesting to have Andrew Drive both cars back to back with new tires.

I know in the GT4 group, the quickest time posted was 2:01 (not by me- I wish!) and I'd expect that time to be a few seconds slower with the new track at this time. Might be quicker towards the end of 2018 though.

I need new tires badly

lots of fun!
Hey Tyler, yeah Andrew is quick. Every time i saw him in my mirrors I did my best to get out of his way. But then i do the same thing when i see you coming up with your GT4 lol. Damn, 1:57 with those conditions is fast. I got nowhere near my best of 2:02. Imagine if Andrew was running with the PDK?

So, how brutal was that 1:57? Any pucker moments? I swear i heard tires squeeling into turn one when i was leaving. Andrew does get his money’s worth!

Originally Posted by race7117
Were you guys out at HPR? Man you guys gotta invite me next time!
Yes we were. We will try to post something up next time! Sorry.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Btw, all these 991 GT3’s sitting there and every guy that walked up checked out the GT4. Didn’t hurt my feelings, Tyler! Your car is awesome. Love the color, the cage, and the spec.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmypro
Btw, all these 991 GT3’s sitting there and every guy that walked up checked out the GT4. Didn’t hurt my feelings, Tyler! Your car is awesome. Love the color, the cage, and the spec.
The bright blue gets lots of attention that’s for sure!

No pucker moments during the fast lap but after the lap we did go into turn 1 a bit...hot...and with a nice Chris Harris inspired slide up towards 2.

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

No pucker moments during the fast lap but after the lap we did go into turn 1 a bit...hot...and with a nice Chris Harris inspired slide up towards 2.
Did they fix the dip at the late apex of 2 with the repave?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I knew that was you guys! haha
Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Really hoping to get out to HPR this summer when I am back in CO! Interesting comments about the soundtrack, with that I think that I will hold off on any muffler adjustments until I hear mine.

Rob, did you ever happen to drive a 997.2 GT3? I know that everyone who has, says that the clutch in the 991.2 is hands down easier to use but I'm just really wondering about the overall difference in the driving experience between the two manual cars. I enjoyed a 997.2 GT3 for five years and loved the car.... I am anticipating that the new manual GT3 will be spectacular, a much bigger experience, if you will.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ExMB
Did they fix the dip at the late apex of 2 with the repave?
completey repaved. Only area left of the old track are the straights.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Really hoping to get out to HPR this summer when I am back in CO! Interesting comments about the soundtrack, with that I think that I will hold off on any muffler adjustments until I hear mine.

Rob, did you ever happen to drive a 997.2 GT3? I know that everyone who has, says that the clutch in the 991.2 is hands down easier to use but I'm just really wondering about the overall difference in the driving experience between the two manual cars. I enjoyed a 997.2 GT3 for five years and loved the car.... I am anticipating that the new manual GT3 will be spectacular, a much bigger experience, if you will.
Yes, i did. The 991.2 GT3 feels 2 generations ahead of the 997.2 GT3. Huge leap in almost every way possible. Some will say they miss the rawness of the 997, but the 991.2 manual GT3 is more than raw enough, and it delivers. Like i said, it feels 2 generations ahead.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Yes, i did. The 991.2 GT3 feels 2 generations ahead of the 997.2 GT3. Huge leap in almost every way possible. Some will say they miss the rawness of the 997, but the 991.2 manual GT3 is more than raw enough, and it delivers. Like i said, it feels 2 generations ahead.
Thank Rob.... hard waiting
Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Thank Rob.... hard waiting
I am sure! I bought my GT3 and had to wait two months for it to ship. The longest two months of my life lol. But even after building up all the expectations, and thinking i was setting myself up for a letdown, when she came off the truck all of my lofty expectations were blown away. You are going to love it.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

That was a fun day! Was fun to join such a great local contingent!

Quick Reply: Went to the track yesterday....