Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:28 AM
SoCal60
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check them out online to see if it’s right for you. They have a short road course and a long drag strip, along with a skid pad and various obstacles. You’ll get 90 minutes of seat time with an instructor.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the tip
Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You seem to be ok with ADM, so I would set up an appointment march into whatever dealer locally (or Fresno if you are ok with a used car as all their GT3 are at MSRP but spoken for) I preferred and plan to spend a few hours and test drive a 991.1 and a TT and a GT4/Spyder (for MT). All of them, as noted, are great cars (but as I said no manual so no go on TT/.1 GT3 FOR ME). I don’t know what springs you had on the Lexus, but they can be very stiff. Maybe you end up loving PDK and saving a bunch of money buying a TT or a .1 GT3, all of which are a better value proposition than a .2 GT3 with California ADMs.

Or you can do what I did where the sum total of my shopping was test sitting seats. I have had enough porsches and cars to know a GT3 6MT was for me. I know the limited subset of cars I want because I am a recalcitrant curmudgeonly Luddite (GT3 MT, Morgan MT, Lotus Elise/Exige, 612 MT). Having owned one car, the dealer experience will probably be helpful to you.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any car with a race car like stance will kick your *** on public roads. Buy it that way or lower it yourself the same result...ruff ride. Only heavy cars get away with being lowered in that the springs just give more under the weight. My 650IX weighs 4600 lbs. That's the only car I have that rides OK with being lowered.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I don't think any dealership would hand me the keys to a new GT3 for a test drive. I personally wouldn't want to buy a $200,000 car that had been used as a demo car. I could find a used 991.1 to test drive though.

I won't be taking any dates to dinner in any car I buy right now since I live in a major walking city. NYC, SF... no need for a car to get around in either. Most people walk, Uber, or take the subway/BART. Would be weird to take a $200K car out to meet a date at the local ramen joint, just to park it on the street after driving 5 blocks haha. This car will be for me to drive out of town. That said... an hour or two at a time in the car on twisty roads or a highway is definitely something I'd be doing. Is the GT3 a no-go for that?
For what you describe, gt3 works fine.
.1 is really close to .2, see if you can drive a used .1
no way I would own a GT3 as my only car.
GT3 is a track car you can drive on the street, if I weren’t tracking, I wouldn’t buy one.
have you considered the new GTS? It’s 90% of the experience for 70% of the price, and WAY more practical if you aren’t a track nut. Won’t hold value as well, but, frankly more fun on the street.

the gt3 is so fast, competent and hardcore that it is almost too much to be fun on the street. You don’t really feel like anything is a challenge til you are over 100mph, which is scary easy to get to.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

[QUOTE=FourT6and2;14711126]Is there a specific TT variant/year I should be looking at as an option?

Any 991 TT or TTS is a great car. The S has a few more hp and more stuff standard.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

I wish you were in NC and I'd let you drive my .2 GT3 manual. I find the ride a little bit better than the .1, never harsh or punishing and actually part of the fun appeal. I've had firm suspensions before that would shake your fillings out but this car is smooth and comfortable even over small bumps and rough roads. I love the firm suspension- very much like my GT4.
Now, I'm older, in my 60's and what I find fatiguing is the noise. It's glorious and wonderful rowing up through the gears and I love it around town and twisty mountain roads. I've taken mine on 2 long trips (3-4 hours) and on the highway, the continued noise level gets fatiguing. But I have sensitive hearing as do lots of older people. My son is probably your age and loves it and would put a louder exhaust on it. My solution is Bose Quiet comfort 20's with noise reduction and now it's even a nice quiet highway cruiser for long trips. (And I know I'm the only one on RL who would ever dare admit it's too loud on long trips, especially on bad concrete). I'd say go for it- you're young can afford it, it's insanely fun to drive, looks cool without exotic attention and holds it's value well so if your girlfriend makes you sell it, you're not out much
The following users liked this post:
200mph (12-01-2020)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I wish you were in NC and I'd let you drive my .2 GT3 manual. I find the ride a little bit better than the .1, never harsh or punishing and actually part of the fun appeal. I've had firm suspensions before that would shake your fillings out but this car is smooth and comfortable even over small bumps and rough roads. I love the firm suspension- very much like my GT4.
Now, I'm older, in my 60's and what I find fatiguing is the noise. It's glorious and wonderful rowing up through the gears and I love it around town and twisty mountain roads. I've taken mine on 2 long trips (3-4 hours) and on the highway, the continued noise level gets fatiguing. But I have sensitive hearing as do lots of older people. My son is probably your age and loves it and would put a louder exhaust on it. My solution is Bose Quiet comfort 20's with noise reduction and now it's even a nice quiet highway cruiser for long trips. (And I know I'm the only one on RL who would ever dare admit it's too loud on long trips, especially on bad concrete). I'd say go for it- you're young can afford it, it's insanely fun to drive, looks cool without exotic attention and holds it's value well so if your girlfriend makes you sell it, you're not out much
Where are you in NC? Ever make it to VIR?

OP, if you make it to FL, you are more than welcome to drive my .1. It will be at Sebring this weekend!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:16 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Well my 650IX rides fine, tuned to 600 hp or so....twin turbo sound, uninspiring.
My V10 r8 sounds fantastic, ride stiff...best car I ever had for fun factor.
Same as my GT500, rides stiff but the power and SOUND is a close second in fun.
Conclusion: That's why the GT3 is next on my list. I wanted the 991TTS but every video
custom or not exhaust doesn't sound good to me. You have to have it all IMHO
Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by evilfij
You seem to be ok with ADM, so I would set up an appointment march into whatever dealer locally (or Fresno if you are ok with a used car as all their GT3 are at MSRP but spoken for) I preferred and plan to spend a few hours and test drive a 991.1 and a TT and a GT4/Spyder (for MT). All of them, as noted, are great cars (but as I said no manual so no go on TT/.1 GT3 FOR ME). I don’t know what springs you had on the Lexus, but they can be very stiff. Maybe you end up loving PDK and saving a bunch of money buying a TT or a .1 GT3, all of which are a better value proposition than a .2 GT3 with California ADMs.

Or you can do what I did where the sum total of my shopping was test sitting seats. I have had enough porsches and cars to know a GT3 6MT was for me. I know the limited subset of cars I want because I am a recalcitrant curmudgeonly Luddite (GT3 MT, Morgan MT, Lotus Elise/Exige, 612 MT). Having owned one car, the dealer experience will probably be helpful to you.
Thanks for the tips! I'm ok with ADM as long as it doesn't get up over a certain price. The car, as I've spec'd it on the configuration tool is about $185K. Some dealers in LA want $50K over sticker. That's too much. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I feel ok bending over? No. For that price, I can get a whole other class of car. I'm also not only looking in California. Plenty of dealers in other states willing to sell out of local network. Although buying here in CA is ideal due to the lemon laws.

My IS300 had BC Racing coilovers with Swift springs and pillow ball mounts, beefy sway bars, all sorts of chassis bracing, and beefed up components. I went through a few sets of roll bars because I snapped 'em once or twice. Certainly nothing close to what I imagine a GT3 to be. But I had no problem driving it on 600-mile road trips. Although the car was dead quite on the inside. I grew up with friends who had dedicated track cars that were stripped, loud, and rattled your teeth out on bumps. So I know what that's like. I definitely don't want that.

Originally Posted by Carcam
I wish you were in NC and I'd let you drive my .2 GT3 manual.
Well me too! Thanks for the offer.

I find the ride a little bit better than the .1, never harsh or punishing and actually part of the fun appeal. I've had firm suspensions before that would shake your fillings out but this car is smooth and comfortable even over small bumps and rough roads. I love the firm suspension- very much like my GT4.
Yeah I guess it's all relative. One person's loud is another's sonic heaven. My childhood friend always had ricer cars with exhausts that would drone on constantly. I hated that. Had to literally scream to have a conversation while driving. Is the GT3 like that?

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
OP, if you make it to FL, you are more than welcome to drive my .1. It will be at Sebring this weekend!
Thanks for the offer. I do have family in FL but I rarely head there. And probably not before I make my purchase decision.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:12 PM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal60
Just a thought. You could catch a Southwest flight to LA and drive a GT3 at the Porsche Experience Center in Carson. Really nice facility.
This is what I did before purchasing my .2 GT3.

I flew down to Atlanta (Porsche Experience Center) and rented a .1 GT3 for 90 minutes and completely drove the snot out of it on track. I have a ton of track experience so my"instructor" gave me free reign the entire time...throttle lift over-steer into the corners, all the goodies disabled for burn-outs during launch control..etc. I knew I had to have one after renting the .1

Get the GT3, you will NOT be disappointed!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Best option: PEC in LA. Think of it as an extended test drive.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Matt Farah the smoking tire guy takes a ride in a 991 gt3. There was no mention of 'stiff' ride...he loved it.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

So I drove a GTS and rode shotgun in a 997 6-speed today. Are either in any way close to how a GT3 feels on the street in terms of ride quality? If so, then it’s totally fine. Both felt rather cushy and weren’t unbearable in any way. They both had sofa seats not buckets. Drove down some fairly bumpy roads and there were no problems. I’d be totally happy with that sort of ride quality.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Were they PASM or SPASM? If they were cushy, they're not like the GT3...

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?