Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
991 gt3 drives super comfortable. IMO. Cadillac comfortable to me.
Everyone is different on what's comfortable. AMG's of the past (last one i have driven was c63) was more comfortable then my sofa. Mind you my sofa is mid-century modern.

Get a ride if you can from locals on each car and see what you like best. IMO.

Theirs a reason why theirs a high turnover on GT3's (besides flipping). It's that fact that it sometimes "too much" for most, surprisingly.
Too much what? Like too powerful? Too sporty? Too much of a track car? I do see a lot of GT3s for sale used with like 500 miles, 700 miles, etc. And I wonder if people couldn't handle them or they were too much for the street or just flippers.
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (12-01-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Driving in the city is not too bad, just have to scout the area beforehand for possible low areas to avoid.

Carlsen in Menlo Park has an absolutely great build in the showroom. If you have good negotiating skills you might get it down to just little over MSRP.

Call Quibelan for more info.

Last edited by pimpinon; 01-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercedes cars are like the way Cadillac's used to be. It's more about 'I'm a somebody in my Mercedes' That's why they keep changing the name or number on each car each year so you can be with the latest 'rarest' Mercedes. After a year or two that model is passe. Fantastic quality and workmanship for people who just want be admired or noticed.
It's different for Porsche enthusiast. It's all about road/track performance PLUS being admired or noticed in a smaller percentage.
Still you can get some great cars from Mercedes/AMG with an extended warranty of course.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Too much what? Like too powerful? Too sporty? Too much of a track car? I do see a lot of GT3s for sale used with like 500 miles, 700 miles, etc. And I wonder if people couldn't handle them or they were too much for the street or just flippers.
Harsh ride. Too low.

The too low i can understand as US driveways for the most part are poorly engineered in slope and never consistent in the grading.
In SF that would be my only worry, for me to you. I also think the GT3 is the wrong car for a lot of people. More then they can chew on(having patience and planning while driving, most like to drive with giving zero fks). IMO.

Me personally i learned to do a proper angle entrance to a driveway if i must and i'm not shy of bottle necking everyone as i'm Ingres/egress from a driveway, but i usually parallel park, my preference.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
Driving in the city is not too bad, just have to scout the area beforehand for possible low areas to avoid.

Carlsen in Menlo Park has an absolutely great build in the showroom. If you have good negotiating skills you might get it down to just little over MSRP.
Carlsen and 'just a little over MSRP' in the same sentence... stop it, you're killin' me..
tjg81296 (02-14-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Carlsen and 'just a little over MSRP' in the same sentence... stop it, you're killin' me..
YMMV.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Based on your description, buy a GT3 off the lot, with options closest to your specs. You won't regret it and if it's not to your liking, you won't have any trouble getting out of the car with minimal economic impact. Enjoy!!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get whichever car you think you will drive the most. One of the unspoken truths about GT3 resale is mileage so the more you drive the car, the less you can resale it for. Other cars are also affected by this, but doesn't seem as steep, mainly because other cars depreciate faster. The last thing you want is to think about how much your car is worth on the resale market as opposed to just driving it. Since this is your entry into this segment of vehicles, I just want to put out there some of the random thoughts that will be part of your ownership experience. If you care about value before you have bought the car, you will care twice as much once you own it, especially if you know that there is a strong resale market. These thoughts have a tendency to pop whenever you are not driving the car. One example is that the GT3 is super low and while front lip is cheap and replaceable, you will scrape in a lot of places in the city so it will be one of those stupid things lingering in your mind constantly about where you are going to drive the car and if it will scrape.

You may have none of these thoughts hopefully and truly enjoy the car and it will fit your needs 100%. But I wanted to give an alternative view to the ownership of this kind of vehicle in the Bay Area.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. I had two and finally gave up as I wanted a DD Went for a Targa 4S Very happy
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell if a car is fun to drive on trade in. They have a good amount of mileage on a short amounts of time. GT3's have low mileage trade in's. I believe it's because it's much more of a raw car then a smooth GT speedster as the 991TTS is and the motor problems too. The AMG GTS Mercedes rides ruff or stiff. Has a short suspension travel.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by grendel88
Get whichever car you think you will drive the most. One of the unspoken truths about GT3 resale is mileage so the more you drive the car, the less you can resale it for. Other cars are also affected by this, but doesn't seem as steep, mainly because other cars depreciate faster. The last thing you want is to think about how much your car is worth on the resale market as opposed to just driving it. Since this is your entry into this segment of vehicles, I just want to put out there some of the random thoughts that will be part of your ownership experience. If you care about value before you have bought the car, you will care twice as much once you own it, especially if you know that there is a strong resale market. These thoughts have a tendency to pop whenever you are not driving the car. One example is that the GT3 is super low and while front lip is cheap and replaceable, you will scrape in a lot of places in the city so it will be one of those stupid things lingering in your mind constantly about where you are going to drive the car and if it will scrape.

You may have none of these thoughts hopefully and truly enjoy the car and it will fit your needs 100%. But I wanted to give an alternative view to the ownership of this kind of vehicle in the Bay Area.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. Whichever car I go with, I'm viewing it as a throw-away purchase. Meaning, it's not an investment. It's a toy. But it still needs to be somewhat practice considering I live in a city. Even though I plan on driving the car OUT of the city, you still need to drive THROUGH it on your way in/out. So it needs to be somewhat comfortable. I don't want/need a dedicated track car, if that makes sense. As far as value goes, I'm buying a car to drive the **** out of

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
You can tell if a car is fun to drive on trade in. They have a good amount of mileage on a short amounts of time. GT3's have low mileage trade in's. I believe it's because it's much more of a raw car then a smooth GT speedster as the 991TTS is and the motor problems too. The AMG GTS Mercedes rides ruff or stiff. Has a short suspension travel.
The new GT3 has motor problems?

And the AMG GTR is quite different from the GTS. Different suspension. Much improved. It rides softer in comfort mode and due to the additional levels of damping, it can still get nice and stiff for track use.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:05 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Ok, I just went to check out the GT3 at Carlsen.

Guys... as soon as I walked in and saw it there, I knew it was the one. The AMG GTR is sick. But the GT3 is something else. I knew instantly it's the one. Chalk wasn't really one of the colors I was interested in, but it looks great in person. I also know what y'all were talking about when y'all said it can be too much car for some. It is a proper sports car. The bucket seats, while gorgeous with the carbon fiber and leather, are quite... rigid. I'm a tall guy and I would prefer a little more angle to the back. So I would opt for the 4-way or 18-way seats. I need to be able to recline a bit.

Everything else about the car was damn near perfect. The ADM is high. But even with that, it's about the same price as the AMG GTR. So not outside what I'm willing to spend. However, the seats are a deal breaker. I don't want to buy a car like this and then not want to drive it because my back hurts.

So... I will hunt for an allocation I can configure. I'll follow up on the leads I found and see what the timeline looks like. Outside that, I'll see what I can find on lots.

This car is really something. Breathtaking in person.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:15 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Hahaha. Carlsen is a funny dealership. Called and inquired about GT3 allocations 6 months ago and they laughed in my face and showed me the door without giving me a real answer. Fast forward 6 months later when I am just swinging by the dealership to see what is in the showroom when they ask me what I was interested in, and said nothing as I have a GT3 on the way. The SA told me he wished I would have reached out once he found out I paid an ADM as I guess they kept their non VIPs allocations and sold to highest bidder.

They were nice enough to also refuse courtesy delivery of my car from Stuttgart without even providing a reason, thankfully CJ and Porsche of Fresno were more than happy to help me out.
tjg81296 (02-14-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I am going to step out here. I own a .2 GT3 MT. I might suggest a super low mile 2 year old TT. I own one. Unless you are going to track a bunch it's a better street car IMHO. Smoother, quieter really fast and with the right tires no slouch on the track.

I am member of of the faithful and own an RS but I still think a TT is the one for general everyday street use.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

TT is great, but it’s PDK.
LVMCars (12-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?