Sponsored by:

My opinion about my manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:14 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My opinion about my manual 991.2 GT3

I have been busy with work and so far i managed to drive it for 200 miles only, but here is what i think of the GT3 so far. Keep in mind that im not grading based on speed, but more car connection and feel.

Steering: I rate the steering on my GT3 at 8 out of 10. Reason for that being the isolation you get from the electronic steering rack and also the weird feeling you get from the RWS. I need to get used to the rubbery sway feeling. I like the steering ratio speed and i find the weight and steering size just perfect. For comparison sake, i have an Evo 10 and that scores 9 out of 10 in the steering department due to the connection you get from the road. You can feel a small stone when you drive over it. Where the ِEvo lose a point is the steering ratio. ِMy 10 out of 10 was 997.2 GT3RS and Ferrari F430 Scudaria.

Transmission: Wow just wow, its by far the best manual transmission i have ever drove and this is coming from a guy who owns more manuals than autos in his life. I had my Evo as a benchmark being a 10 out of 10 just before taking the GT3 out of that dealer. Now my Evo is 8 out of 10 compared to the GT3. Reason for the GT3 being super is how solid the gates are while also being smooth. It allows for very very fast shifts and once i break it in i will do powershifts videos. For comparison sake, a 997.2 GT3 has a very nice feel to the transmission, but its notchy. Thats where they improved the 991.2 GT3. A 10 in my book for sure.

I didnt like the Sport button rev matching. It felt artifial and i stopped using it. I will give it another try when i do the powershifting at 9k to see if it has any benefits there, but id rather do my own rev matching and heel toe downshifts so far.

Engine: since im still doing the break in properly, i took it to a maximum of 7500 RPM few times and mostly kept it below 6000 RPM most of the time. What i can tell right away is that it had better TQ than the 991.1 GT3 under 5k RPM. The engine sounds amazing and revs happily. I found myself downshifting and upshifting just for the sake of enjoynment. If i have to give this engine a score i would give it 9 out of 10 being a 4.0 flat 6 producing that much power naturally. For comparison sake to cars i have drove, my 10 out of 10 would be something like the V12 in the Ferrari F12. I also got an oil overflow error code and willl take it to dealer after taking the car back from 3M shop for the PPF and Ceramic Coating.

Quality: I specced my car with all carbon and alcantara and the quality is super. It feels like it was carved out of a solid alumunim block and they welded the wheels and an engine to it. Compared to my Z06, its on another level. The infotainment is very nice. Applecar play integration is super and i enjoyed using it. The seats are super as well, very supportive while being comfortable. I had a passenger with me joking, no need for seatbelts while you are in these seats as he felt very secure.

Now are some pictures until i get better ones. Excuse my picture taking skills. I was just too busy driving to stop and take proper ones lol.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, very well written. And given the quality of your collection, I think your points are spot on. Thanks for the post, love the pics!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:11 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

very happy to hear!

hopefully we can take our cars out to the hidden gem very soon and we can do a proper back 2 back comparison

i will let you do the write up since your points are very detailed compared to mine
Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Great write up, completely agree. Although the steering and 'light weightedness' has started to grow on me, as it's so precise.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Mc21
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if the engine cover is adjustable. My buddy's .2 GT3 also have the same uneven gap, only his is on the right side. I'm lucky all gaps on mine is even. This would drive me nuts.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:33 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by Mc21
I wonder if the engine cover is adjustable. My buddy's .2 GT3 also have the same uneven gap, only his is on the right side. I'm lucky all gaps on mine is even. This would drive me nuts.

thanks, now i cant unsee it lol

Not sure if its adjustable, but i will let Porsche service worry about that along with the over oil warning message.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the oil level warning message as well, after the car sat for a while - it took a few trips to the redline, and extended run at 200km/h to clear. It was filled like that at the factory.
Thank you for a great perspective, good luck with the car and enjoy it!
Compliments on the collection (Evo IX and Speciale over here).
Best, w
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
very happy to hear!

hopefully we can take our cars out to the hidden gem very soon and we can do a proper back 2 back comparison

i will let you do the write up since your points are very detailed compared to mine
Your car is very fast and im sure it will beat my car with that Dundon setup. It would be interesting for sure.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by wurlie
I got the oil level warning message as well, after the car sat for a while - it took a few trips to the redline, and extended run at 200km/h to clear. It was filled like that at the factory.
Thank you for a great perspective, good luck with the car and enjoy it!
Compliments on the collection (Evo IX and Speciale over here).
Best, w
Congrats on the Speciale that is a sweet car. Their value went through the roof. Also Evos are a thing of the past and the clean ones here are going up in value now.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power

Not sure if its adjustable, but i will let Porsche service worry about that along with the over oil warning message.

If it really bothers you they can take off the rear bumper and realign when putting back on and that should fix it
Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Great review. Now I’m even more excited to get mine next (this) year.

I can’t speak, let alone write, a foreign language, so please don’t take this as anything but a tip to improve your already excellent English....

”I drove the car yesterday.”

”I have driven many great cars in my life.”
Old 01-01-2018, 01:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power

When you open the engine cover, you’ll see two rubber bumper stops (one on left and one on right side). Loosen with 13mm open end wrench and turn the rubber stopper to adjust tightness on each side and then tighten the nut. If you lengthen the stopper too far, it will be difficult or impossible to latch. Too short and it won’t close tightly and may rattle over rough roads.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

These cars get an engine oil above max error often. My guess that it have the proper amount of oil and will eventually cycle through. The dealer can't do much.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:56 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats man, very nice! the picture with the gap made me go check it on my car, but it looked even on mine. I'm sure it's adjustable as GrantG mentioned.

Word of caution. The new carbon fiber hinges and the mechanism for opening and closing the engine bay is a bit different from the .1 gt3. I am still not sure, but I had to use my hand to raise the lock to close it. Without doing it, it seemed it was going to break.

Quick Reply: My opinion about my manual 991.2 GT3