My opinion about my manual 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,732 Likes on 2,698 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Word of caution. The new carbon fiber hinges and the mechanism for opening and closing the engine bay is a bit different from the .1 gt3. I am still not sure, but I had to use my hand to raise the lock to close it. Without doing it, it seemed it was going to break.
You have to manually hold the red latch release to close - I can imagine someone will try to slam it without holding this and cause damage...

Last edited by GrantG; 01-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Shop finished the PPF and ceramic coating. They will need to redo the rear as there is stretch marks. Anyways I’m picking the car tomorrow for a 600 miles road trip and hopefully i can pass the point where i can take her to 9k RPM.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

When you open the engine cover, you’ll see two rubber bumper stops (one on left and one on right side). Loosen with 13mm open end wrench and turn the rubber stopper to adjust tightness on each side and then tighten the nut. If you lengthen the stopper too far, it will be difficult or impossible to latch. Too short and it won’t close tightly and may rattle over rough roads.

I checked the gap today, it will definitely need a realignment from dealer. Will make them do it next time i take it to them.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You have to manually hold the red latch release to close - I can imagine someone will try to slam it without holding this and cause damage...

Well sort of that's why Porsche paint it in red so no one will miss it. Plus, it should be the first thing the salesman mentioned during delivery.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

As for the electric steering, it is not a playstation steering wheel, there is still a physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack, the only difference is it is only boosted when the wheel is off centered, or being used, as compared to a regular hydraulic boosted rack where the pump is constantly running.

One journalist, who is a vocal opponent of the then new electric rack, and who shall remain nameless, got played by the Germans once. He tested 2 cars back to back, only difference being the rack is different, and he was also told the wrong information before he heads out. He came back trashing the hydraulic rack' while praising the 'electric rack' when he comes back..........................Not a beep after since.

Until someone do a blind test, the perceived notion of electric rack is inferior is just psychological, especially the current generation.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
As for the electric steering, it is not a playstation steering wheel, there is still a physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack, the only difference is it is only boosted when the wheel is off centered, or being used, as compared to a regular hydraulic boosted rack where the pump is constantly running.

One journalist, who is a vocal opponent of the then new electric rack, and who shall remain nameless, got played by the Germans once. He tested 2 cars back to back, only difference being the rack is different, and he was also told the wrong information before he heads out. He came back trashing the hydraulic rack' while praising the 'electric rack' when he comes back..........................Not a beep after since.

Until someone do a blind test, the perceived notion of electric rack is inferior is just psychological, especially the current generation.
I agree EPS supersedes HPS in terms of precision, performance, and efficiency. Albeit, the intrinsic inertia and friction with respect to EPS "numbs" the feedback of the nuances in the road to the drivers hands. This has vastly improved with software tweaks to "mask" the inertia and friction, however, IMO it still "feels" numb to me. As "superior" as EPS is to HPS, it's still numb.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 201 Posts

Great story that and tallies with some comments my PEC instructors have said to me.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I agree EPS supersedes HPS in terms of precision, performance, and efficiency. Albeit, the intrinsic inertia and friction with respect to EPS "numbs" the feedback of the nuances in the road to the drivers hands. This has vastly improved with software tweaks to "mask" the inertia and friction, however, IMO it still "feels" numb to me. As "superior" as EPS is to HPS, it's still numb.
in my experience, the best steering rack out there today is mclarens, which has a combo hydraulic and electrical if I'm not mistaken. 2nd place would go to ferrari, which manages to be very light, but still with great feedback. By far my favorite is mclarens.
while I'm sure I would fail the blind test mentioned above, jumping from Porsche to mclaren to Ferrari during the same track day I noticed the difference immediately without knowing that mclarens wasn't purely electrical. We had a 488, a 911r, 918, a 675LT, and a p1... the maccas let you feel the road in a way that the 911r helm simply didn't. (I'm sure this will bring scorn upon me from the 911R owners now). If its any consolation, the 918 was even worse from that standpoint, felt like a videogame in comparison to either mclaren.

All I can say is that the "feel" I got from a mclaren rack was the most memorable part of the driving experience.. (in stark contrast to mclaren brakes which felt very wooden while Porsche pccb were fantastic). just saying this to mention that I'm not a fanboy of any brand, but Porsche steering feel is really not up to par in my book.

Heading to road atlanta in March for a Performante/911R/720s/TdF test and will get some refreshed perspective.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
in my experience, the best steering rack out there today is mclarens, which has a combo hydraulic and electrical if I'm not mistaken. 2nd place would go to ferrari, which manages to be very light, but still with great feedback. By far my favorite is mclarens.
while I'm sure I would fail the blind test mentioned above, jumping from Porsche to mclaren to Ferrari during the same track day I noticed the difference immediately without knowing that mclarens wasn't purely electrical. We had a 488, a 911r, 918, a 675LT, and a p1... the maccas let you feel the road in a way that the 911r helm simply didn't. (I'm sure this will bring scorn upon me from the 911R owners now). If its any consolation, the 918 was even worse from that standpoint, felt like a videogame in comparison to either mclaren.

All I can say is that the "feel" I got from a mclaren rack was the most memorable part of the driving experience.. (in stark contrast to mclaren brakes which felt very wooden while Porsche pccb were fantastic). just saying this to mention that I'm not a fanboy of any brand, but Porsche steering feel is really not up to par in my book.

Heading to road atlanta in March for a Performante/911R/720s/TdF test and will get some refreshed perspective.
As a 918 owner I agreed, especially in combo with when the front wheels are being driven.

Ferrari's quick steering is a bit too light for my taste, for numbness, nothing beats Lambo's rack.

Porsche's 911 racks are not perfect, but IMO the heavy rear actually helps with the steering feel, the car, through your ***, actually tells you how the car is behaving, giving early warning feelbacks.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
As a 918 owner I agreed, especially in combo with when the front wheels are being driven.

Ferrari's quick steering is a bit too light for my taste, for numbness, nothing beats Lambo's rack.

Porsche's 911 racks are not perfect, but IMO the heavy rear actually helps with the steering feel, the car, through your ***, actually tells you how the car is behaving, giving early warning feelbacks.
This was my biggest complaint with the 458. It was just too light and "darty" up front. Never felt planted. On corner entry I never had any confidence in what the front end was doing.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:27 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

This was my biggest complaint with the 458. It was just too light and "darty" up front. Never felt planted. On corner entry I never had any confidence in what the front end was doing.
Well you don't need to, cause the Ferrari will come out whenever it feels like, before you even know it. Unlike in a 911 where the car tells you it's coming out a long time before it is actually coming.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey CAlexio, do you mind me asking what event are you attending? Feel free to PM me if more appropriate.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Hey CAlexio, do you mind me asking what event are you attending? Feel free to PM me if more appropriate.
Friend is Renting out track privately, not a public day that I'm aware of.. happy to share the date as soon as it's confirmed.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:27 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Friend is Renting out track privately, not a public day that I'm aware of.. happy to share the date as soon as it's confirmed.
Ah i see, thought it might be a public thing. Congratulations on having friends that private rent tracks like Road Atlanta!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:49 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

FWIW, the 488 fixed all of the suspension shortcomings of the 458. 50% more downforce also..

Quick Reply: My opinion about my manual 991.2 GT3