Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2GT3 for a 2016 GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Holy crap, a 220 MSRP RS is UP there! Is it PTS??? I'd take that deal you got in a heartbeat at those numbers if that car is totally straight.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:27 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I think any argument about durability of 991 GT engines (impacted 3.8 .1 motors aside) is nearly laughable. What % of .1, .2 GT3's and .1 RS's will even see 20,xxx miles? And even if all of them are on track miles (looks over at Trak Car), that shouldn't be considered that a high bar to for durability. These are not fragile race engines. I would speculate (and I underscore speculate because I have no statistical proof to offer) that any of the above motors would easily make 100,000 miles with 1/3rd being track. I guess my point is, it's going to be 8-10 years before anyone is even talking about a "refresh" on these motors so durability seems almost a moot point to make.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:08 PM
binky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waxer your comments are priceless! "I will leave this here, maybe that will help."
Old 12-31-2017, 05:10 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Interesting. What about the .2GT3 is superior to the .1RS? Solid lifters? Point me to the problem with the .1RS 4.0 as I may have missed it. Point me to a failure. I may have missed it. Point me to where F. Walliser's statements that the .1RS 4.0 does not have the parts from the same supplier that created the issues that created the 3.8 issues which were manufacturing defects in some of the FF shipments. Point me to anything that provides any question that the .1RS 4.0 is not a great engine.

Beyond that lets talk other special items...Carbon bits and fenders and lids? RS, check. Special magnesium roof. RS, check. Better aero? RS check. Wider front and rear track. RS check. Aggresive mechanical GT/RS sounds not sanitized out. RS check. More agressive killer looks? RS check. Being an RS? RS check.

Did I miss something?

RS always (ALWAYS) > than GT3.
Yes solid lifter valve train superior to the .1 RS motor, your car is limited to 8800 RPM for durability issues. The new .2 GT3 has similar downforce without having a clown car appearance, huge wing and plastic fender vents. The salmon colored car is a terrible color ( subjective opinion ) You can keep your magnesium roof and $14,000 fenders. The front facia in the new GT3 is better looking, without excessive nose length. This RS is an RS is means absolutely nothing to me, and is reassurance to justify the ownership. The new GT3 does everything the .1 RS does and you get a new car for the same price. The new GT3 is stealth looking without the over the top appearance. Being able to spec my car is a better value for me instead of taking
another's 2 year old used RS configured by the original owner. The standard palate of colors was a joke unless you were able to PTS the car. I am not sure what a .1 RS does that the new .2 GT3 does not. FWIW i saw a Lava orange, AKA salmon and the color was washed out. Either go with red or orange, but not lava. Porsche is all about evolution and the updated cars are an improvement over the prior offerings. The .1 RS especially used has nothing over a brand new GT3. All that matters is that you are happy with the .1 RS and its color.Name:  photo568.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  480.3 KB
Old 12-31-2017, 05:25 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It didn't take long for the .1RS vs .2GT3 "discussions" to start.....I'll keep my thoughts to myself but I'll be keeping my RS
Old 12-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

You guys know you’re all Porsche fans, and arguing over cars that are all pretty darn cool. The good thing Porsche does is make a car that all fans can enjoy. All car purchases are made on a few basic wants looks, price ......if you havd a RS or GT3 there is some guy in a 991S that will spank most of us because of his skill level. Enjoy what you have, and what you like. Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Yes solid lifter valve train superior to the .1 RS motor, your car is limited to 8800 RPM for durability issues. The new .2 GT3 has similar downforce without having a clown car appearance, huge wing and plastic fender vents. The salmon colored car is a terrible color ( subjective opinion ) You can keep your magnesium roof and $14,000 fenders. The front facia in the new GT3 is better looking, without excessive nose length. This RS is an RS is means absolutely nothing to me, and is reassurance to justify the ownership. The new GT3 does everything the .1 RS does and you get a new car for the same price. The new GT3 is stealth looking without the over the top appearance. Being able to spec my car is a better value for me instead of taking
another's 2 year old used RS configured by the original owner. The standard palate of colors was a joke unless you were able to PTS the car. I am not sure what a .1 RS does that the new .2 GT3 does not. FWIW i saw a Lava orange, AKA salmon and the color was washed out. Either go with red or orange, but not lava. Porsche is all about evolution and the updated cars are an improvement over the prior offerings. The .1 RS especially used has nothing over a brand new GT3. All that matters is that you are happy with the .1 RS and its color.Attachment 1273709
Sounds like a temper tantrum. LOL.

Those who say they can tell the difference between 8800 and 9000 are make believers.
.2GT3 does not have "similar" down force. Stop "make believe". It has more than .1GT3. Yes.
I have to keep my carbon bits and mag roof. No way to really ditch them. Stuck with them. Ugh. I know.
PAG apparently thinks they are equally durable since warranty periods are the same. Also I haven't received any recall notices from PAG as to my .1 4.0. Did I miss that?
Solids are superior for higher rpm range due to float. True.
Solids traditionally were a maintenance headache compared to hydraulics. PAG now says good for over 100K miles. Lets see. Hope they are right.
RS means alot to the vast majority in auto world. Even PAG.
Regardless of market RS of same gen will always garner more than non RS of same gen. Don't kill the messenger. Just facts. Doesn't take away fact .2GT3 is a terrific car.
RS has way more presence. Fact. Good if thats what you want. Standard GT3 more low key if thats what you want. Many want lower key. Not me. Looks and color are subjective.
New car is new car today. Old car tomorrow. RS is RS today and still RS tomorrow. Fact.
What does the fact my car is "salmon" colored (LOL) have to do with this????. BTW LO was PTS on other models and the launch color of the .1GT3RS. Guess PAG loves salmon too. LOL. FWIW Gulf Orange is another bit of salmon then. That was PTS.. I love fresh salmon especially broiled with brown sugared crust. Why the hate. Tastes good and good for you too.
No matter what color you pick there will alway be some that don't like it or like another color better. I sure I can analogize your color to something objective too...but what's would be the point of that????

Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Mav: Correcto!
You too! Cheers.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

.2 GT3 does not have more or equal the downforce of a 991.1 RS, it has equal downforce of a 997 GT3RS with better drag. I think that is what people are mistaking.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:23 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like a temper tantrum. LOL.

Those who say they can tell the difference between 8800 and 9000 are make believers.
.2GT3 does not have "similar" down force. Stop "make believe". It has more than .1GT3. Yes.
I have to keep my carbon bits and mag roof. No way to really ditch them. Stuck with them. Ugh. I know.
PAG apparently thinks they are equally durable since warranty periods are the same. Also I haven't received any recall notices from PAG as to my .1 4.0. Did I miss that?
Solids are superior for higher rpm range due to float. True.
Solids traditionally were a maintenance headache compared to hydraulics. PAG now says good for over 100K miles. Lets see. Hope they are right.
RS means alot to the vast majority in auto world. Even PAG.
Regardless of market RS of same gen will always garner more than non RS of same gen. Don't kill the messenger. Just facts. Doesn't take away fact .2GT3 is a terrific car.
RS has way more presence. Fact. Good if thats what you want. Standard GT3 more low key if thats what you want. Many want lower key. Not me. Looks and color are subjective.
New car is new car today. Old car tomorrow. RS is RS today and still RS tomorrow. Fact.
What does the fact my car is "salmon" colored (LOL) have to do with this????. BTW LO was PTS on other models and the launch color of the .1GT3RS. Guess PAG loves salmon too. LOL. FWIW Gulf Orange is another bit of salmon then. That was PTS.. I love fresh salmon especially broiled with brown sugared crust. Why the hate. Tastes good and good for you too.
No matter what color you pick there will alway be some that don't like it or like another color better. I sure I can analogize your color to something objective too...but what's would be the point of that????

No temper tantrum. Color is very subjective, and I don’t like Lava ( salmon) I am really curious the % of Lavas out there, are many people spewing lava ? My point is the whole “RS is an RS” is getting old and real fast. The GT3 and GT3RS share a lot in common each generation/itineration. When the GT3 evolves over the earlier RS models, it comes with lots of little updates, it adds up. I can see the argument that some would find the RS more attractive than the GT3, but I think its obnoxious looking, my option not fact. While you might find it crazy to spend 200K on an a current new GT3 over the previous RS, I find the opposite. When I am spending 200K on a car, I don’t want used and I want to spec it. To buy an RS for its badge is worthless to me.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0to60
No temper tantrum. Color is very subjective, and I don’t like Lava ( salmon) I am really curious the % of Lavas out there, are many people spewing lava ? My point is the whole “RS is an RS” is getting old and real fast. The GT3 and GT3RS share a lot in common each generation/itineration. When the GT3 evolves over the earlier RS models, it comes with lots of little updates, it adds up. I can see the argument that some would find the RS more attractive than the GT3, but I think its obnoxious looking, my option not fact. While you might find it crazy to spend 200K on an a current new GT3 over the previous RS, I find the opposite. When I am spending 200K on a car, I don’t want used and I want to spec it. To buy an RS for its badge is worthless to me.
Yup., To each his own. While "RS is RS" may be getting old to you, you might as well get used to it. Been here long before you and likely will be long after.

Don't know % of LO. UV was the most popular.

LO is awesome....at least to me and many others. I'm not the only owner of a LO. PAG launched it in LO. You don't like it ...that's you. Lucky for you you don't own my RS. Very orange.
Turned down a .2GT3 at MSRP offered to me by my dealer. Would never give up an RS for it. Do it think they are beautiful and awesome car? Yes. Sure. But not for my RS.
To me it is crazy to buy a .2GT3 at over $200K when RS is obtainable for less than
10% to 15% more. But that' me. Not you. I think time will prove me right. Lets see...
Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Yup., To each his own. While "RS is RS" may be getting old to you, you might as well get used to it. Been here long before you and likely will be long after.

Don't know % of LO. UV was the most popular.

LO is awesome....at least to me and many others. I'm not the only owner of a LO. PAG launched it in LO. You don't like it ...that's you. Lucky for you you don't own my RS. Very orange.
To me it is crazy to buy a .2GT3 at over $200K when RS is obtainable for less than
10% to 15% more. But that' me. Not you. I think time will prove me right. Lets see...
Yes its a fact you have been here longer than me, not sure what that has to do with anything. Then to say you will be here longer than me, turns your statement away from fact and becomes ARROGANT. Maybe you will, maybe you won’t, but it turns into a BRAG. I bring this up as you are an RS cheerleader, arrogantly again I might add, putting down the new GT3’s in many posts vs the .1 RS. The .1RS being better/worse than the new .2 GT3 is debatable, but seems like every post its a fact with you. Fact is Porsche GT cars are constantly evolving forward, and that lowly GT3 might be a better all around car than the .1 RS. As far a Lava orange, if you love it great, but realize its a very polarizing color, Love/Hate.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

This is comical... the .2 GT3 is faster in EVERY WAY than a .1RS... and a .2 RS will be faster than a .2 GT3 in EVERY WAY.

You can like the .2 GT3 or the .1 RS... but don't confuse the fact... same driver in each car... the new GT3 is the quicker car... and has proven so in every mag test and by Porsche themselves.

Sport auto did beat the new .2 GT3 with the Manthey Racing RS... but we know that car wasn't near stock. And for those that aren't actually tracking every weekend... it's tough to choose a 2 year old car over a more refined more in tune (6MT) vehicle.

The great thing is we all have choices... I would always choose a faster new evolution GT3 over an older RS if I have the means to do so. By Adding the Manual... it's a no brainer, getting back as close to 'pure' as you can get with Porsche and still all of today's great advancements.

But when it comes time to choose to get a new RS... I realize I'll have to give up the manual transmission if you want the latest and greatest naturally aspirated product offered by Porsche.

It's no coincidence so many RS' are sitting for sale in my opinion.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. I'm sure the .2GT3 RS will be superior to the .2GT3. It's comical trying to understand how the two year old .1RS is better/faster than the current GT3. These GT cars keep evolving and so does the price HAHA
Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 682 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
. I would always choose a faster new evolution GT3 over an older RS if I have the means to do so. By Adding the Manual... it's a no brainer, getting back as close to 'pure' as you can get with Porsche and still all of today's great advancements.
That's weird. You would choose the faster evolution yet the manual is slower in every way but you would pick that. So would you pick the new GT3 over an older RS because all the mags say it is faster and "better" but yet you would pick the slower of the new GT3's. I am confused with the logic.

Either way I find the middle school banter hilarious to pass time but really if you read all the posts, plenty of contradiction and ASSUMPTIONS to go around.

Quick Reply: .2GT3 for a 2016 GT3/RS