Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

.2GT3 for a 2016 GT3/RS

 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:44 AM
  #31  
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
C.J. Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Exit Row seats
Posts: 9,021
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Tell me where i can buy a 220k msrp RS for 195 and i will go buy it right now
C.J. Ichiban is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:45 AM
  #32  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,668
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon View Post
I think he is paying $25k plus giving up his car, correct?

This, but math wise it's still a good deal (depending on MSRP of the RS) or easily landing an RS. The dealer will probably be able to get 10k over on his at the end of the day (especially once the initial ADM prices shrink as less people pay it for cars they haven't specced with an owner on it already). And don't mind taking that out of the RS price to make that normal.
sechsgang is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:05 AM
  #33  
kfmcmahon
User
 
kfmcmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,806
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
This, but math wise it's still a good deal (depending on MSRP of the RS) or easily landing an RS. The dealer will probably be able to get 10k over on his at the end of the day (especially once the initial ADM prices shrink as less people pay it for cars they haven't specced with an owner on it already). And don't mind taking that out of the RS price to make that normal.

right, but it sounded like goin2drt thought OP was getting $25k (ie $25k over MSRP for a 991.2 GT3)
kfmcmahon is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:08 AM
  #34  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,668
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon View Post
right, but it sounded like goin2drt thought OP was getting $25k (ie $25k over MSRP for a 991.2 GT3)



Haha, now THAT would be the best thing ever!
sechsgang is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:46 AM
  #35  
goin2drt
Super User
 
goin2drt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kentucky finally made it out of Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 2,715
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon View Post
right, but it sounded like goin2drt thought OP was getting $25k (ie $25k over MSRP for a 991.2 GT3)
correct. It sounded like he was being offered $25k over MSRP FOR HIS .2 GT3. If that is not the case, my decision would be different.
goin2drt is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:54 AM
  #36  
Waxer
Super User
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,193
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 0to60 View Post
As of today the .2GT3 is the superior car. Also if I'm spending 200k on a car, I want new over used.
Interesting. What about the .2GT3 is superior to the .1RS? Solid lifters? Point me to the problem with the .1RS 4.0 as I may have missed it. Point me to a failure. I may have missed it. Point me to where F. Walliser's statements that the .1RS 4.0 does not have the parts from the same supplier that created the issues that created the 3.8 issues which were manufacturing defects in some of the FF shipments. Point me to anything that provides any question that the .1RS 4.0 is not a great engine.

Beyond that lets talk other special items...Carbon bits and fenders and lids? RS, check. Special magnesium roof. RS, check. Better aero? RS check. Wider front and rear track. RS check. Aggresive mechanical GT/RS sounds not sanitized out. RS check. More agressive killer looks? RS check. Being an RS? RS check.

Did I miss something?

RS always (ALWAYS) > than GT3.
Waxer is online now  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 PM
  #37  
Quikag
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I LOVE my .2 PDK but Iĺd take a .1 RS with 1100 miles at $25k below MSRP in a heartbeat.
Quikag is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM
  #38  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,218
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Lets be clear. An RS is an RS. My Lexus GS 350 is a GS 350. My .2 GT3 is a .2 GT3. WE can all agree on these statements. The reason I do not have an RS is the wing looks attached, the car looks too big, the turbo scoops are ugly, and I do not actually prefer the wider body. To each their own. But - the reason the .2 GT3 does not have the RS engine is because Porsche has improved the 4.0 from lessons learned over the past 5 years from both the street version GT cars and, most importantly, the Cup cars. So- no doubt the engine is going to be superior. It may not have more horsepower but I will bet you, in the long term, it will handle more abuse and the life span of the engine has been lengthened. Plus, almost every journalist has commented that they can feel the difference and feel the .2 engine may be the best yet
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:15 PM
  #39  
Waxer
Super User
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,193
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default


I'll just leave this here. Maybe it helps.
Waxer is online now  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM
  #40  
Waxer
Super User
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,193
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carnut52 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback and comments. I have had the GT3 since October. It is a PDK with LWB's and PCCB. The MSRP is $220K for the RS. Not sure what I'm going to do with my GT car. I'm not a big track guy but make it out 2-3 times a year.. I have owned lots of turbo's but this is my first GT car and I did enjoy the 300 miles I put on the car before winter hit in Michigan. I have a 2017 TTS as a DD that I love. I think the GT3/RS is an iconic looking car and wouldn't mind owning one but I think they are on the decline value wise. Just wanted to hear some pro's and con's on the deal. I'm leaning toward keeping the .2
Your nuts! Go get the RS my friend you'll thank me tomorrow. $220K msrp!!!! Unless there is something wrong with the car. If it checks out on Car Fax and is pre-owned certified go get it!.

I look towards tomorrow. Not the herd stampeed today. Yeah, now everyone's gotta have the "new" 4.0 and losing sight of fact the .1RS 4.0 is killer, goes like stink and is reliable as a anvil and every GT3/RS car previously had hydraulics. Tomorrow you say??? Yes. Just look at the ADMs they want on the .2GT3 now. $15K to $25K. It's not even an RS. Look at the ADM's they wanted on the .1GT3. Look at the huge ADMs commanded by the .1RS and they still go for $15K or so over today depending on spec and mileage. Not enough for you? Look at the GT2RS. Go find one. I won't hold my breath though. Now go find one without an ADM. ROFLMAO. Going rate is what?...$450K. Its not even supposed to be a limited production unit.

You want a .2GT3RS you say? MSRP will likely be around $195K base. They will be limited production based on timing alone due to the 992 entries now coming. If you are lucky enough to get an allocation (not just promised an allocation) you still have to keep your fingers crossed you won't get banged with an ADM. My guess is the ADM's will be around $150K. Oh, you want my .1RS at that point? Its a $210K msrp car. No problem. $250K please. Wait, its got a $7000 Xpel satin wrap. $257K.
Waxer is online now  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM
  #41  
goin2drt
Super User
 
goin2drt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kentucky finally made it out of Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 2,715
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Waxer View Post

I'll just leave this here. Maybe it helps.

FTW. the debate can continue but neither are right which one is better, it is subjective. And to think the .2 is superior (if you believe that), great for now and then the next GT motor will be superior and so on and so on. I think we have a few facts missing as the OP hasn't cleared a few things up. What exactly can he get the RS for and what is the MSRP, what is he getting for the .2 vs MSRP. If this is a what is a better decision "financially" then we need to know that. If money doesn't matter and the OP is just deciding between the two, no one here is going to answer that for him. It is a subjective and personal choice only he can make. Neither is a bad choice.
goin2drt is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 PM
  #42  
Waxer
Super User
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,193
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
Lets be clear. An RS is an RS. My Lexus GS 350 is a GS 350. My .2 GT3 is a .2 GT3. WE can all agree on these statements. The reason I do not have an RS is the wing looks attached, the car looks too big, the turbo scoops are ugly, and I do not actually prefer the wider body. To each their own. But - the reason the .2 GT3 does not have the RS engine is because Porsche has improved the 4.0 from lessons learned over the past 5 years from both the street version GT cars and, most importantly, the Cup cars. So- no doubt the engine is going to be superior. It may not have more horsepower but I will bet you, in the long term, it will handle more abuse and the life span of the engine has been lengthened. Plus, almost every journalist has commented that they can feel the difference and feel the .2 engine may be the best yet
Jimmy: Every engine is improved over the last generation but alot is marketing hooey. There were definitely issues with a fair number of 3.8's but not all will have the issue. As per Walliser not all 3.8 were afflicted as the problem came down to a manufacturing defect in the FF from the supplier. Per Walliser the .1RS 4.0 does not have the issue that affected some of the 3.8's. Moreover all previous generation GT3/RS were hydraulic valved. The Mezger is legendary still today. The .1RS lump has proven bullet proof.

The .1RS lump ran in the '15/16 GT3R with various expected mods for racing. I recently have varified this with some race teams that owned them and ran them and advised those that argued with me of this via PM. It ran flawlessly. Anyone thinking their .2GT3 has the same engine as in the actual RSR is playing make believe. Same basic engine but "alot" of differences and mods. You would need to spend multiple times the price of a .2GT3 just to buy an RSR engine.

The .2GT3 4.0 has "improvements" yes. Great engine. World class. The .1 RS 4.0 is also a great engine and world class. It has the same warranty and provides the same real world fun, thrill, engine life as far as we know and enjoyment as the .2 4.0. Actually provides the mechanical GT car sounds that have now been scubbed away in the .2 from the sound track that gave GT cars much of their character.

Looks are subjective. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. No?
Waxer is online now  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:20 PM
  #43  
BryanCO
Super User
 
BryanCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,323
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Waxer View Post

I'll just leave this here. Maybe it helps.
I was all ready to vote RS but Waxer just convinced me to say .2 GT3.
BryanCO is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:28 PM
  #44  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,218
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I think the RS is a great car- no question. And the 4.0 in the .1 RS and R is World Class. Is the RS a better car than the .2- NO. It the .2 a better car than the RS - NO. But, the 4.0 in the .2 GT3 has taken another step forward. My bet is the 4.0 in the .2 RS will take it up a notch in HP and redline because there is still a lot more left in the new 4.0 that they can get out of it. It has been mentioned they can get over 600 HP out of this new engine.

Now, for me, it comes down to looks- not functionality because I do not track. I like the cleaner lines of the GT3 and the way the wing looks like it was sculpted along with the body simultaneously. So- I would not buy and RS over a GT3
even if it was $10,000 less because looks are also important to me. But- I do not look the other way when I see an RS on the road. It is a menacing looking car and has such a presence. I think the new GT2 RS is just ridiculous looking but I can not wait to see it live. It looks like a monster and I can appreciate the Frankenstein it is. When that car pulls up next to you at red light- it will be hard not to just admire it for what it is.- a BEAST.

I love all Porsches. Who does not if you are a true car fanatic. There is just so much history/heritage.
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 PM
  #45  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,218
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Just a beauty


Jimmy-D is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .2GT3 for a 2016 GT3/RS


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: