Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No judging - how many can properly drive a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
brinkopf (sp)?
tony build your car?
Hi Mooty, I'm not sure what 'brinkopf' is?

Which Tony? I built the car, started as an all original '91 C4 Z07 car, and now full ST4 (going to ST3) race car. Safety equipment was done by Kent, from Precision Chassis Works in Gilbert, AZ.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-01-2018, 02:34 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRob He is grinding the split pretty bad.

Yeah, I think he's trying to hard for the video and ripping through the gears, that trans is definitely not meant for shifting fast.
Laughable. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. “Trying to (sic) hard for the video”. Seriously? Haha. Ever drive a Cup Car? Or race? These cars, when driven in anger, need to be manhandled. Leh is one of the best in the business. And his shifting technique is spot on. Unreal......

And this is why you should read other pages to see what was said and what I was talking about before talking sh*t. I was talking about a duplex in a B Model Mack, ever drive one? Ever drive a truck? I love when people only read the last page on a topic and then try to chime in, and actually be arrogant about it. Laughable
But yes, Leh can drive his *** off and like others have said, he's a wizard with 3 pedals.
I'm having trouble replying with quotes so I have been copying comments and inserting them above my responses, sorry for the confusion in my comments.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

SCCAFORUMS
^ my apologies. saw your video on TH thought that was my friend Dave B's car.
fast time!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
SCCAFORUMS
^ my apologies. saw your video on TH thought that was my friend Dave B's car.
fast time!
All good! Yeah, love ThunderHill.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think being able to do perfect heel-toe rev matching while driving on the track is a very different skill from being able to just rev match. I'm good with the manual and can rev match with no problem at all. And as I have mentioned in my impression thread, I do it faster without the auto-blip on, as this aid feels unnatural to me and interferes with my muscle memory. I do struggle though getting perfect heel-toe rev matches sometimes, and it is still a learning experience for me. Interestingly, heel-toe is a lot easier for me on the track when I get really hard on the breaks.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes I can.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:02 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Hope I'm allowed to post on this illustrious sub forum LOL, but have any of you Masters of Heal Toe tried this in the 991.2 Carreras ?

I picked up my new 991.2 GTS coupe yesterday and gave it its maiden voyage from NH dealer to VT and was wondering if the turbos and mild lag make it harder to rev match, or is it just me. Because I am in the brake in period and just getting used to the car, I left it in normal mode, which probably doesn't help (compared to sports plus). I'm coming from a Cayman GTS with snappy NA throttle response, rev matching on my own was easy (tho I was getting lazy with heal toe because of the sports + auto rev feature-- had heal toe down on my previous 987 Cayman S).
Old 01-04-2018, 11:53 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Masters of Heal Toe tried this in the 991.2 Carreras ?
Any Podiatrists on the board?
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM
kblask
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Interestingly, heel-toe is a lot easier for me on the track when I get really hard on the breaks.
I think this holds true for most. It's much easier to achieve a solid throttle blip when you can stomp on the brake pedal without much thought given to smoothness. The sign of a truly skilled heel-toer is the ability to blip under sub-maximal braking conditions, i.e. just coming to a stop on the daily commute. There's a whole different level of finesse required.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I could do all that and more, having passed my first driving exam on a non-synchroed manual, that required all kinds of trickery to get it in the gear and out. But in the last 9 years, I've driven manual only in rentals in Europe and occasional friends' or students' cars. So I don't think I'd be able to heel-toe well enough now. Rev matching is so easy you can't really lose it, though.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kblask
I think this holds true for most. It's much easier to achieve a solid throttle blip when you can stomp on the brake pedal without much thought given to smoothness. The sign of a truly skilled heel-toer is the ability to blip under sub-maximal braking conditions, i.e. just coming to a stop on the daily commute. There's a whole different level of finesse required.
I do heel toe well on the track. On the street, I do herky-jerky style. LOL. I just don't rev match heel toe downshift on the street, too embarrassing.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't know how to do it properly,I just post so that my virtual online friends think I'm cool. At least that's what she said...
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 AM
RSUV
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting thread, kind of. From the point of view that so many rave about MT, it is interesting to note how many are honest enough to say they don’t h&t.

I grew up driving manual cars in the UK and thought I would never own an automatic since they were always too slushy and not sporty enough. When I started buying expensive cars - brand new original M roadster was my first, 996 C4S was my second, manual all the way. XKR, DB9 were my first automatics and I made a mistake with the XKR. A car for an older man. DB9 was ok. Manual DBS that came after it was again much better. But then, 360 Spider F1 followed by 430 and a string of DCTs. I loved this new ‘sporting’ two-pedal format. I just do not prefer manual anymore. I have two special Imprezas which are manuals and I can heel and toe, rev match and left foot brake (though you need very slim shoes to do that in a manual car).

Part, but only part, of my issue is that heel and toe has helped to give me a (hopefully temporary) problem with my right ankle. So I don’t bother much anymore, where I used to heel and toe everywhere, even on the road, out of habit. I only ever left foot braked in a manual to prove to myself I could really, it is a bit too much to think about on the road. (When I say ‘road’, I mean empty, very fast roads). I left foot brake always in a two pedal car - it is gratifying and a great feeling, and I am more comfortable with my left than right. Having all four limbs working and on the control surfaces at all times gives you a feeling of imediate control over the car that is truly lovely and is, to me, more pure and ‘uninterrupted’ than with a manual.

I’m bored with manual really and will only ever choose one because I want a particular car and either the two-pedal option does not exist or is poor for the driver. I can see the pleasure in getting a perfect h&t change but there are other pleasures I would have to forego from not driving a good DCT car. I will always want a manual car in the garage for ‘old times’ sake’ but the PDK/F1 transmissions are my preference now, especially on track. I always use the paddles manually.

It’s a bit of snobbery to form the view that people who drive the PDK can’t drive properly. As with all cars, your understanding of the machinery you are using is an interesting, rewarding and telling part of the driver’s ability - whether it be manual or PDK. All major series race drivers use two-pedal cars and it is very easy to tell the good ones from the bad ones. I therefore conclude that selecting PDK is not the thing that marks you out as a bad or weak driver.

Edit: I should add, my last Porsche was a 997 GTS and it is the sweetest manual change I have ever used. Very slick and satisfying, so I do think Porsche do manual ‘boxes very well, possibly even the best there is. My Imprezas are much tighter and even more mechanical feeling. I have seen inside the gearbox and diff of these cars and the engineering is literally beautiful but the transmission is so tightly packed given the layout, packaging and need to incorporate the shafts for the four wheel drive system Subaru uses, no wonder it is stiffer than the Porsche.

2nd Edit; the videos of Leh and Senna are amazing. But especially Senna. Leh has perfected the art of getting the manual change close to the PDK. Senna just seems to have a sublime connection with the car that is almost lazy by comparison but so in-tune with the machine. Unhurried, using the car as an expression of him. I’ve seen the video before but nice to remember it again. My favourite driver ever.

Last edited by RSUV; 01-06-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I would disagree with your last statement on several points. A lot of people cannot drive a stick, but I would opine that most people who buy a Porsche, particularly a GT3, can drive a stick. If you can drive a stick, it's not that difficult to learn how to heel toe. And like everything else, not limited to heel toe, practicing is what gets you closer to "properly" do anything. And lastly, the GT3 is just another car with a gearbox. If you can properly drive and heel toe a Miata, you can properly drive and heel toe a GT3 with a little practice. You'll just be a hell of a lot faster
this, and becoming an expert ht guy is way easier than people realize. If you are enamoured with the “perfect” ht, you aren’t doing it right. This is the biggest difference between intermediate drivers and racers in shifting. Intermediates spend WAY too much mental energy trying to hit the perfect downshift (and discussing it on rennlist as if it’s the ideal objective and how you are so much better than PDK drivers) - you are focused on the wrong goal. Asking the question indicates a lack of knowledge about how to do it right. It’s just not that hard, but we can’t get out of our own way.

driving “smoothly” is a radically misplaced and overstated objective that demonstrates a lack of knowledge about how to drive fast. the goal is to be efficient and quick without upsetting the car, not shift so gingerly that grandma won’t spill her latte. Watch senna hit the throttle, it’s quick and HARD.

with modern synchros and lwfw, it’s REALLY easy to ht well. The biggest obstacle is simple - don’t be so focused on smooth, and dial up your aggression by 3x. The pursuit of “smoothness” results in being too delicate with the process, which, ironically, is the biggest obstacle to being smooth. “Slam” the throttle with your heel or foot side like you are mad at it, get the revs up quickly, go overboard!

once you have found the “too much” level, you can dial it back down easily. In my experience, most students don’t come anywhere near too much on the track. They are always under revving and trying to hold a perfect rpm to create “smoothness” - that’s not how you do it. Start by going way over the ideal rpm and let the synchros handle the alignment- shoot for redline.

Track times and smoothness actually comes from the speed of the shift, which allows you to put energy into proper braking and turning, which is what really matters!

Ht is a “pop” and a shift. That’s it. Think of it as similar to “speedshifting” in a drag race but in reverse, you may upset the car a bit, but being quick with the shift is way faster than being smooth. Once you have the quickness down, it’s pretty easy to make it a bit smoother, but you have to get to that aggressive/efficient level to make it all work.

Last edited by Earlierapex; 01-06-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this topic...
#whocares

Quick Reply: No judging - how many can properly drive a manual?