Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No judging - how many can properly drive a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You can rev match without heel and toeing.
But can you do it properly?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I'm still learning to properly drive a PDK
Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm still learning to properly drive a PDK
no ****, you too?
the i think the right paddle makes car faster right?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no ****, you too?
the i think the right paddle makes car faster right?
which one is the right paddle?
Old 12-31-2017, 04:18 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Embarrassingly, I suck at heel/toe shifting.

For the experts out there, what's the best way to master this art? Possible without quality track time?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

The attraction of a manual is that you cant do it perfectly every time and anytime you do its rare, but the feeling of getting it right makes you want to come back and try to do it again.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe

For the experts out there, what's the best way to master this art? Possible without quality track time?
Get a manual daily driver that you can beat up a bit. Heel toe whenever possible.

I learned on an old Subaru daily driver 15 years ago and I still practice on my daily driver (Mini Cooper) all the time. It's much harder to heel toe at moderate to light braking but you can eventually get it down. It also depends on a lot of factors like pedal spacing, pedal travel, and how fast the engine can change speed. Every car has slightly different technique so even if you master one car, there can be a learning period moving to the next.

Once you get fairly good at it, it's extremely rewarding. I will say that the Rev matching on the .2GT3 is making me lazy though. Some time technology ruins us.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I can. I find It's much easier to rev match H -T smoooooothly on track when hard on brakes, as opposed to street driving when you feather the brake.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:55 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes I attempt to rev match ....it’s a WIP
i found each of my P cars engines react differnetly, as welll as the pedal set up is different, so it requires diligence and practice.

993 TT throttle is a cable set up while my 996 GT3 and Rs4.0 are by wire.

I ordered a MT for my .2GT3

“easy” gets boring fast and IMO it’s all about having the driver < > car involvement
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

I can and I continue to practice all the time. I chose a manual GT3 for that exact reason.
Here is a video of one of my race cars (me driving) that shows some good heel/toe work.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I used to do it all time, just practice. I am not an expert, but this is what I did. When you are starting out, just blip the throttle with the clutch in while braking to see how much you need for a given rpm increase. Don’t worry about the shift part as focusing on the blip without a shift prevents you from money shifting. Do the same but skipping the braking. Practice the blip and the shift. Start easy, 6th to fifth. In your head you should have what rpm you are shooting for and how big of a blip you need to get there. Remember the second you depress the clutch the car starts to slow and the rpm starts to fall so take that into account. Then put it all together. After you practice a bunch on the street it becomes second nature.

I am looking forward to rev matching function as I am physically limited in what I can comfortably do.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I’m pretty good at it.
For those who say impossible to be pdk quick. With some practice you can get close. Let’s let Leh Keen take us to school.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Maybe consider an adjustable gas pedal to trim the height and lateral distance of the brake vs. gas pedal to make it easier to do. I find my GT3 gas pedal is way too low relative to brake pedal, unless you are Hard on the brakes...

Something like this perhaps:
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rev...tinfo/A16%2E3/
Old 12-31-2017, 10:59 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

First, start with the car OFF, in your driveway, just repeating the sequence of steps...like 500 times or so, until you no longer have to think about the sequence of steps..it just becomes second nature.
Then, do it with the car on, but not moving (i.e. car not in gear, but you can get a feeling for and hear what each RPM blip--200,500,1K, etc is like) just pretend to move the gear lever with the blip...again like 500 times.
Then, go to an empty mall parking lot and repeat the sequence for real (ie moving the gear lever) at different speed and different brake presses, RPM blips etc..like 500 times

some people (like me) roll the side of their right foot sideways (ankle inversion) instead of use the "heel" of their foot to pivot to the throttle...it allows better control of brake pressure (for me) so you don't accidentally add to much or too little brake so less jerky braking...I also use the ball of my foot for braking rather than the "toe" than the name suggests.

Step 1: Apply the brakes with your properly positioned right foot. The braking action continues throughout the remaining four steps.

Step 2: Depress the clutch with your left foot.

Step 3: While still on the brakes, roll your right foot to the right and onto the throttle pedal to raise (or "blip") the engine's speed (rpm) to match the expected wheel speed.

Step 4: Simultaneously move the transmission shifter into the next-lower gear.

Step 5: Release the clutch. If braking continues, you can repeat steps 2-5 again for another downshift until the correct gear is finally achieved.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Does everyone go down through the gears, or do you skip some? 4th to second etc.

Quick Reply: No judging - how many can properly drive a manual?