Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?

Apologies if this has been covered before but I cannot find a definitive thread on this.

Is front axle lift a must have option or not? $2500 sounds expensive for 1.5" of extra clearance at 35 mph or slower. I'm not focused on resale values, although I understand this may have an impact. I am really interested in practical use, for an extra bit of clearance below 35 mph, I feel like I should not get this option and spend the money elsewhere.

I have a 991C2S now, and had a 997C2S before this, now a .2 (hopefully) toward the end of 2018 (assuming I get my allocation, which dealer sounds optimistic about). Never had a problem on scraping the front spoiler/lip (it happens, but not often; at some point I'll just replace that rubber plastic piece up there and start scraping again), and I have gotten so used to entering all driveways/curbs one wheel at a time that it is now a habit.

Would appreciate any thoughts or practical advice. At this point I'm sure I can afford it, but just trying to keep the build under control and not let it get out of hand. I think I have all of the other must-haves that I agree with (lwb, extended range fuel tank, etc.) and which have been extensively covered in prior posts.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Apologies if this has been covered before but I cannot find a definitive thread on this.

Is front axle lift a must have option or not? $2500 sounds expensive for 1.5" of extra clearance at 35 mph or slower. I'm not focused on resale values, although I understand this may have an impact. I am really interested in practical use, for an extra bit of clearance below 35 mph, I feel like I should not get this option and spend the money elsewhere.

I have a 991C2S now, and had a 997C2S before this, now a .2 (hopefully) toward the end of 2018 (assuming I get my allocation, which dealer sounds optimistic about). Never had a problem on scraping the front spoiler/lip (it happens, but not often; at some point I'll just replace that rubber plastic piece up there and start scraping again), and I have gotten so used to entering all driveways/curbs one wheel at a time that it is now a habit.

Would appreciate any thoughts or practical advice. At this point I'm sure I can afford it, but just trying to keep the build under control and not let it get out of hand. I think I have all of the other must-haves that I agree with (lwb, extended range fuel tank, etc.) and which have been extensively covered in prior posts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...axel-lift.html
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM
softright
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving GT and other Porsche sports cars for a while now, I am programmed to look for bumps and inclines and attack at an angle via muscle memory. Most of the time this works well. Very rarely will get a minor scrape, but I considered that this may happen even with a lift. I bet many scrape even with the lift because they forget to press the button in time or are distracted. Have heard this from a few people with a lift (and a chuckle).

I took a pass on my order.

I believe there are aftermarket solutions as well.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

My dealer convinced me to get the lift. I waffled a lot about it more than any other option (well color too, but that PTS story is too long). Having locked with it, I figure if I have to worry and slow down less it is worth it. It was nerve racking with my lotus so much so I pulled the splitter off the Exige.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

It's nice to have, but not a must have.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

will not buy one without it. It depends on the area you live in In our area , it is a must
but I think for resale , you certainly shrink your buyer pool if your car does not have it, and the people that need it , can't do without it .
Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Useless in flat Florida, but probably essential in other parts.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Maverick. I see why I couldn't find that thread, I searched "axle" and not "axel".

Appreciate the reply. Looks to be a solid split of opinion here (i.e pdk v manual). Still think it's a costly option for not much benefit, but I'm smart enough to know that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Will see what others have to say. Thanks again,
Old 12-27-2017, 12:03 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

My $0.02.....not a must but very nice to have.....for some a must have.....when you go to sell will eliminate a good amount of people that's it a must for....IMO better to have it and one option that you will get a benefit on resale....
Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wmond
Thanks Maverick. I see why I couldn't find that thread, I searched "axle" and not "axel".

Appreciate the reply. Looks to be a solid split of opinion here (i.e pdk v manual). Still think it's a costly option for not much benefit, but I'm smart enough to know that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Will see what others have to say. Thanks again,
‘my suggestion if you listen to others you will still be split. My only reason is and was I couldn’t get into my driveway minus the lift, and if you’re split pending your car price it’s less than 2% of the total value of the car. Lastly most of these cars get sold within three years, and the lifter is a wanted option by many buyers. Good luck on your build.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
My $0.02.....not a must but very nice to have.....for some a must have.....when you go to sell will eliminate a good amount of people that's it a must for....IMO better to have it and one option that you will get a benefit on resale....
Spot on view. By the way the 458 is amazing sound is amazing.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:08 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

I live in the Northeast and is a must-have here. My other car without a lift scrapes no matter how careful I am. I wouldn't spec without it. You will hear every opinion possible here so just go with what makes the most sense for you
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely could not survive without it. One of the few ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE options for me. I don’t know how people live without it unless no speed bumps that are larger and very flat driveway and utopian roads.
What’s the justification not to get it? Cheap and adds a couple pounds. Most of us are overweight anyway lol
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a complete must have in my book. I had it on my .1 GT3 and I used it all the time. It is a low car with a long overhang and you will run into trouble if you don't have it. It's such a cheap option on an expensive car, in my opinion it makes no sense not to get it.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

It would be nice to have but not essential. Living in Seattle with hills and terrible roads, I just drive slow and go at an angle. I’ve brushed the plastic piece a few times but there isn’t any noticeable wear front the front. Even if you scrape hard that piece is only $150 to replace.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?