Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Alastair R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lowest ground clearance GT3 I ever owned was a 996 Mk1 CS 15 yrs ago, used to have to put the splitter back on once a week but the 991 RS's ground clearance is much better so I have purposely no lift. It's just something else to go wrong, which they frequently do as years pass. As for resale, I don't buy my car for the next guy.

Virtually impossible to find a right spec 991 TTS Mk2 to replace my Mk1 TTS as everyone as has been told by their salesman a sunroof is essential for resale. Is it still the 1970's?!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:46 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
make sure you're getting an extra $2,590.00+tax from the next guy
^^ + time value of money. Specing for the next owner is a curious -- although it seems, very common -- thing.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
^^ + time value of money. Specing for the next owner is a curious -- although it seems, very common -- thing.
It's not really spec'ing for the next owner but spec'ing to maximize both resale value and market of potential buyers. I hear that term thrown around a lot 'spec'ing for the next guy etc.' but its really about looking to maximize the ease, speed and value upon future resale. That is why some spec PCCBs but take them off and replace with cast iron rotors (and put the PCCBs back on for resale). Not only is consuming PCCBs prohibitively expensive for track use but it a highly desired option for DD, and canyon drivers, so having it on the car expands the potential buyer pool to non-track guys and also helps retain value.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
It's not really spec'ing for the next owner but spec'ing to maximize both resale value and market of potential buyers. I hear that term thrown around a lot 'spec'ing for the next guy etc.' but its really about looking to maximize the ease, speed and value upon future resale. That is why some spec PCCBs but take them off and replace with cast iron rotors (and put the PCCBs back on for resale). Not only is consuming PCCBs prohibitively expensive for track use but it a highly desired option for DD, and canyon drivers, so having it on the car expands the potential buyer pool to non-track guys and also helps retain value.
Agree. It's just that, often, the actual future cash back seems very questionable. Ease of sale, absolutely. But 'must have' vs 'don't need' FAL both seem fairly large groups. And at that point, getting the full cost + tax + time value of the expense back, seems questionable at best.

I accidentally ended up with FAL in order that pre-locked for ED. I was going to remove it. But hey, if at resale it will make sale easier because that is what the buyer wants, great. Do I think I will get my money back on it through extended pool of buyers? No.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by softright
After driving GT and other Porsche sports cars for a while now, I am programmed to look for bumps and inclines and attack at an angle via muscle memory. Most of the time this works well. Very rarely will get a minor scrape, but I considered that this may happen even with a lift. I bet many scrape even with the lift because they forget to press the button in time or are distracted. Have heard this from a few people with a lift (and a chuckle).

I took a pass on my order.

I believe there are aftermarket solutions as well.
I took a pass as well. I considered the extra cost, complexity, and weight (why be concerned about reducing weight by ordering LWBs, PCCBs, installing a lithium battery, or a titanium exhaust system then?) The final decision was knowing that even with the FAL there would be inevitable scrapes along the way; and I was right. I drive both my GT3T and 981 Spyder on undulating and twisty back roads, and an occasional scrape happens. It’s ok. So are the splattered bugs on the condomless paint (they wash right off!). I have always enjoyed driving the many sports cars I have owned over the years, both on roads and race tracks, and am not concerned about my toys outlasting me.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Agree. It's just that, often, the actual future cash back seems very questionable. Ease of sale, absolutely. But 'must have' vs 'don't need' FAL both seem fairly large groups. And at that point, getting the full cost + tax + time value of the expense back, seems questionable at best.

I accidentally ended up with FAL in order that pre-locked for ED. I was going to remove it. But hey, if at resale it will make sale easier because that is what the buyer wants, great. Do I think I will get my money back on it through extended pool of buyers? No.
Agree 100%. it's not clear that a FAL equipped car will sell for $3K+ above a similarly optioned car without FAL. The return on $$ spent is not guaranteed. There are buyers though who wouldn't consider a car without FAL (maybe they live in NY/NJ or other regions with crappy roads or steep driveways etc) for whom FAL is a must, and we both agree that in those instances, equipping FAL will broaden the pool of potential buyers.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

In Atlanta and use it all the time...development where I live changed the drainage and put a drain before entrance which if I didn't have FAL I would scrape every time.....happy I checked the box on this...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are for enjoyment. Simple as that. One thing I hate the most about driving these cars is worrying about scraping on a driveway. I know it's just a $200 piece, and I know I'm driving a car that's an inch from the ground, but I just hate the sound of scrapping. Does it kill me when it happens? Absolutely not. I scraped my lip in the first 50 miles of ownership and it didn't bother me a bit after it happened. Yet, I still want to avoid scraping every time I enter/exit a driveway. So having a way to reduce this stress is worth the $2k to me. And because of this, I get a surprising amount of satisfaction when I can raise the car. Makes me feel like I'm in a lowrider, lol. I know it sounds stupid but hey, whatever tickles your pickle right? Again, these cars are for enjoyment.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:50 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I passed on this option as well. Never found the "need" for it. It's all about the angles. I even intend on lowering my car on the factory coils.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any confirmation that the FAL on the RS is hydraulic ?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Any confirmation that the FAL on the RS is hydraulic ?
All I can say is that it sounds like a small electric engine is running when FAL activates. It is slower than the old system. The old system had a reserve of air that always was ready for use which made it quicker.

(This is on a GT2RS)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Easily justified by those that chose not to order FAL..... BUT, I doubt anyone who's ordered and used FAL, like me, would ever second guess their choice.

I certainly do not.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:13 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't keep cars more than several years- if that- but had a GT car without FAL and it was definitely a barrier to selling as it seemed like half of the folks who responded saw it as a "must have".
Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If nothing else it let’s you go over bumps faster. That alone is worth $2500. Slamming on the brakes and crawling over speed bumps at 1mph is annoying and potentially unsafe.

the low clearance was my least favorite part of my Elise. When I got the Exige it was worse so I removed the front splitter (and fitted all season tires ....).
Old 08-17-2018, 02:23 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad I have it;definitely use it

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?