Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Back to my initial thought don’t ask the board (respectfully) all the threads say the same thing. The needs depends on your driving environment, and not all this weird logic why you need it or don’t. Congrats and good luck.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front lift

For an eye opener look into the cost of a replacement platter or pump.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Have it, use it, wouldn't spec one without it...
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Apologies if this has been covered before but I cannot find a definitive thread on this.
this has been discussed about 10,000 times already. Any reasonable search effort would find many threads on this topic.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

those who knows me know i hate the lift. here is the real reason: one no one talks about.
yes, if you have steep driveway or giant speed bump, it's nice to have the lift so you are not dragging the lip on asphalt or concrete.
BUT, on some of the canyon drives i do...
these roads are less than a mile from my house and i know them blind folded.
where the depression are where the pavement will stay wet, where you will hit deers, got off cliff blah blah...
but even with that knowledge, some sections are really fun to take at speed. by that i mean 45-55 mph (speed limit is 50)
and guess what, if you hit the depressions at that speed, you will not only scrap your bumper, you will lose your front brake ducts on the A arms and very veyr likely scrape the bottom of your front bumper cover (not the lip, the the actual painted bumper)... so if you miss it up just ONCE, you are DONE. why does it matter if you scrape or not scrape the lips? the damage (in my case) is DONE. furthermore, in the heat of the moment (driving.. not sex, but use your imagination b/c they are related), are you going to slow down, stop, and negotiate the depression or are you going to gun it and flow over that section, then have a cuban cigar later.... i just gun it myself...

now that's me. and my reason for not wanting the lift.
i am not trying to convince anyone else to have it or not have it. but i am genuinely curious why others want them. if it's just parking, steep driveway, or speed bumps, i really would just scrape the sh*t out of the $300 lip. in fact it makes your car look wonderfully patina'd. my cars are usually highly detailed, like you can eat off the belly pan, but i insist not changing the lip which looks like it went through hell.

i wonder if i am missing some other issues that other enthusiasts encounter?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MACH 86
For an eye opener look into the cost of a replacement platter or pump.
lol, i did
this is one of those "if you need to ask, you can't afford it" moment.
or " you better be sitting down and make sure ur kids aren't around b/c you will start cussing like there's no tmo"
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Not a must have. Like every other option - it's optional.
Most of the time what you scrape is not the front lip, splitter or brake ducts. It's these little air dams by the front brakes.
The 4.0l does seem to scrape a bit more than the GT4 or 3.8l did.

From what I understand, the new lift is hydraulic, not an air bladder like before. Not sure if that makes it less likely to fail or more likely. Probably more costly for sure.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
now that's me. and my reason for not wanting the lift.
i am not trying to convince anyone else to have it or not have it. but i am genuinely curious why others want them. if it's just parking, steep driveway, or speed bumps, i really would just scrape the sh*t out of the $300 lip. in fact it makes your car look wonderfully patina'd. my cars are usually highly detailed, like you can eat off the belly pan, but i insist not changing the lip which looks like it went through hell.

Hi mooty, you just have a higher tolerance for those death-by-a-thousand-cuts scrapes than I do. I hate bottoming the car and patina is overrated, IMHO. I will add that over the last few years there have been a couple of times when I have found myself in situations where I literally could not have advanced the car without raising the nose; without the lift I'd have been calling AAA or flagging a passing motorist to ask if they had a ramp in the trunk.

Anyway, the cost delta on a $150K+ car is negligible, so is the impact on performance, and the lift is covered by warranty, so why not have one just in case? My rationale, but obviously YMMV.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i really would just scrape the sh*t out of the $300 lip. in fact it makes your car look wonderfully patina'd.

+1 no lift
Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Anybody have the internal tech docs on the 991.2 GT3 that shows how the new front-axle lift system works?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Anybody have the internal tech docs on the 991.2 GT3 that shows how the new front-axle lift system works?
The 1.2 system is different from the 1.1 system? In what general ways do you know?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 1.2 system is different from the 1.1 system? In what general ways do you know?
My understanding is they it had been redesigned and rolled out as in option on the other 991.2 cars as well (all with the same new increased lift height).
Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi mooty, you just have a higher tolerance for those death-by-a-thousand-cuts scrapes than I do. I hate bottoming the car and patina is overrated, IMHO. I will add that over the last few years there have been a couple of times when I have found myself in situations where I literally could not have advanced the car without raising the nose; without the lift I'd have been calling AAA or flagging a passing motorist to ask if they had a ramp in the trunk.

Anyway, the cost delta on a $150K+ car is negligible, so is the impact on performance, and the lift is covered by warranty, so why not have one just in case? My rationale, but obviously YMMV.
fair assessment and i was genuinely trying to understand its need.
BTW, were have you been for the last whole year!!!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

fair assessment and i was genuinely trying to understand its need.
BTW, were have you been for the last whole year!!!
Crazy year. Porsche stuff has kind of been on the back burner. Going to try and get with the program for 2018!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ well glad to have you back.
we have drive up aroud marin sat. if you can make it.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift - Necessary or Not?