Sponsored by:

Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The shifter in the .2 GT3 is a step up from the GT4. The shifter almost has a click when you shift the gear and it makes it feel more precise and crisp. I like the feel a lot. The clutch is surprisingly light. More light than the GT4. A feather compared to the 997 GT3 clutch.
Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree that it's at least as good as my GT4's manual (and probably a bit better) - maybe because the shift cables are shorter (GT4 has to reach to the far rear of the car) or maybe it's just the different gearbox.
Originally Posted by konaforever
The manual in the GT4 is awesome. Hard to believe the GT3 beats it, but if you say it is, then it's that much more awesome!
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, it is hard to believe, but they did it. Porsche continues to impress
Yup. You can't fault anyone for going PDK because it's such a great transmission. But, if you've already experienced it, you need to go back to a manual if you want a totally 'new' experience this time around.
I am told by the local dealer that the GT4 shifter is the same as the GT3 shifter (same part number), so as GrantG implies, the improved feel on the GT3 must be due to something other than the shifter itself. Cables? Transmission? Better match between transmission and engine torque and hp? Rev Match? Anyone know?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
There seem to be divergent opinions regarding whether the .2 is amped up across the board vs more refined than the .1. Maybe the .2 is more refined when driven gently, and more amped up when driver harder with higher revs?
I did open it up , engine sounded and felt fantastic, gear changes brilliant. But felt a "bit" soft everywhere else, l also expected it to have better steering feel than my GT4.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:02 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lava Fire
I am told by the local dealer that the GT4 shifter is the same as the GT3 shifter (same part number), so as GrantG implies, the improved feel on the GT3 must be due to something other than the shifter itself. Cables? Transmission? Better match between transmission and engine torque and hp? Rev Match? Anyone know?
They are different. Maybe the dealer meant shift ****?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger

They are different. Maybe the dealer meant shift ****?
He told me shifter. I specifically asked. When they looked into it, they reported that the GT3 and GT4 shifter was one and the same. Does anyone have the GT3 shifter part number available? The GT4 part number is 981-424-010-20

Edit: This also indicates that It is the same as the GT4:https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14202173

Last edited by Lava Fire; 12-30-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll be the dissenting opinion on this whole "manual means you're a purist" diatribe. If someone thinks that shifting a manual GT3 at 4500 rpm on your drive to Target (as ALL of us have already agreed that the GT3 is too fast for public roads regardless of transmission) is more engaging than a PDK, you are diluting yourself.

More engaging? Sure. I have to use my left foot to push something. Right hand can be used to shift a manual or a PDK.

So, how much more engaging? .000000001%?

Heel toe on the street? Uh, who does that? Why?

I am also glad, as others, that there are 2 choices. But, please, everyone stop with the "manual is purist, more engaging, has more sounds, heel toe, gives you a smile", and blah, blah, extraneous adjectives. Just say, "I want a manual."
Old 12-30-2017, 12:19 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I'll be the dissenting opinion on this whole "manual means you're a purist" diatribe. If someone thinks that shifting a manual GT3 at 4500 rpm on your drive to Target (as ALL of us have already agreed that the GT3 is too fast for public roads regardless of transmission) is more engaging than a PDK, you are diluting yourself.

More engaging? Sure. I have to use my left foot to push something. Right hand can be used to shift a manual or a PDK.

I am also glad, as others, that there are 2 choices. But, please, everyone stop with the "manual is purist, more engaging, has more sounds, heel toe, gives you a smile", and blah, blah, extraneous adjectives. Just say, "I want a manual."
You are in denial... it's ok. The PDK is great... but it's one 'less' thing you are doing when driving the car. When you're fast with a PDK, people say 'That's a fast car'... when you're fast with a Manual, people say 'That's a fast driver'.

I still think PDK is one of the worlds best transmissions, but I don't try to hide behind the fact that it is definitely less engaging than a Manual trans car.

And I'd hope everyone Heel & Toes a manual on the street, at least to the extent that as you're approaching the intersection, you're downshifting through the gears appropriately.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the chance to drive one of the Werks Gt3 .2 couple of month ago on public roads around Stuttgart with PDK. I would not use the word boring but on public roads it is not so much engaging like my Spyder. Even this one is by far to perfect/powerful to get in the reds with it without passing 100km/h easily. PDK has this "wow" effect accelarating from very low speeds to high speed with ease.

So after seeing a nice Touring in Carmine two days ago at a local dealer I am ready to switch from PDK/Wing to Touring! I will not do more than 3-4 track days and also more in the beginner camp so the Wing is not the killer.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
You are in denial... it's ok. The PDK is great... but it's one 'less' thing you are doing when driving the car. When you're fast with a PDK, people say 'That's a fast car'... when you're fast with a Manual, people say 'That's a fast driver'.

I still think PDK is one of the worlds best transmissions, but I don't try to hide behind the fact that it is definitely less engaging than a Manual trans car.

And I'd hope everyone Heel & Toes a manual on the street, at least to the extent that as you're approaching the intersection, you're downshifting through the gears appropriately.

Best Regards,
Dave
IMO, manual is a little more engaging overall on the road. But not a lot more engaging. PDK provides its own engagement when shifted manually with paddles, and it gives the left hand something to do which manual doesn't offer.

For fun on the road, best bet is probably a car which has good but not 'perfect' responses to driver inputs, and not overly fast. Cayman R with manual is pretty good. 997.1 C2S with manual is even better. Maybe we need to try some lowish-grip all-season tires on our street cars. I've been running full winter tires on the C63, which have deep squirmy treads; makes the car a bit scary, which sort of adds to the fun.

I always heel/toe on the street, for every downshift, regardless of whether I skip gears, in every manual car, regardless of the shoes I'm wearing - except when I turn on the sport button in the GT4.

On the track, with about 150 track days in manual cars under my belt, and about 50 track days in the 991.1 GT3 mostly in manual mode, I definitely prefer PDK. Manual was a LOT of fun on track when I was developing proficiency with it, but now it's just a 'been there, done that' kind of thing. I have more fun trying to go a little faster.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:00 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Manual was a LOT of fun on track when I was developing proficiency with it, but now it's just a 'been there, done that' kind of thing. I have more fun trying to go a little faster.
Agreed!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I agree with Manifold. The whole manual purist shtick is way over played. A manual is nice but so is a PDK and that's coming from someone who owns a mixture of the two. Each has their place and time.

Indeed, I like and appreciate both but, for me, a manual is not a path to the instant orgasm that some people seem to get.

And, BTW, from which car do I get the biggest, buzziest thrills? The PDK GT3 at full tilt around Spa.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I'll be the dissenting opinion on this whole "manual means you're a purist" diatribe. If someone thinks that shifting a manual GT3 at 4500 rpm...is more engaging than a PDK, you are diluting [sic.] yourself.
Nobody asked for you to start another manual vs. PDK debate.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:28 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I agree with Manifold. The whole manual purist shtick is way over played. A manual is nice but so is a PDK and that's coming from someone who owns a mixture of the two. Each has their place and time.

Indeed, I like and appreciate both but, for me, a manual is not a path to the instant orgasm that some people seem to get.

And, BTW, from which car do I get the biggest, buzziest thrills? The PDK GT3 at full tilt around Spa.
Agreed, both are special in their own right. I wouldn't turn down a pdk car, but when I have the choice, I'll stick with a manual for as long as they offer them, and I'm able to still row the gears.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by SCCAForums; 12-30-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'll stick with a magical for as long as they offer them
Freudian slip?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:50 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

+1!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by Bardman
Freudian slip?
IPhone auto correct... Even Apple knows the manuals are magical.

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME